High Sierra did NOT convert drive to APFS - how to do that?

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by Milltek, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Milltek macrumors regular

Milltek

Hi,

I installed High Sierra on a 2012 Mac Mini this morning and it did not convert the spinning HDD to APFS. Did a few searches and found that if you restart with Command + R and select Disk Utility the Edit sub-menu offers the chance to convert. Unfortunately in my case that option is greyed out and (obviously) can't be selected. Anyone have any ideas what to do to convert the HDD?

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

If I am not mistaken, HDD to APFS for the internal drive conversion is not supported (at this time).

3. Milltek thread starter macrumors regular

Milltek

I know that the Fusion drive does not convert but I converted an extra internal HDD to APFS on my iMac. (It doesn’t have a system on it. Just data. Can you remember where you saw that?

4. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

"When you install macOS High Sierra on the Mac volume of a solid-state drive (SSD) or other all-flash storage device, that volume is automatically converted to APFS. Fusion Drives, traditional hard disk drives (HDDs), and non-Mac volumes aren't converted. You can't opt out of the transition to APFS."

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208018

5. Milltek thread starter macrumors regular

Milltek

Well, what with all the hype about APFS by Apple that just sucks!

Thanks

6. SaSaSushi, Oct 2, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2017

SaSaSushi macrumors 601

SaSaSushi

There is no way to convert an internal HDD to APFS at this time but you can clean install to an internal APFS HDD using the recovery console.

Obviously, you will lose all data on the drive but you will end up with an APFS internal HDD.

From Disk Utility, click on Erase and then choose APFS as the format.

That worked just fine for me when I created a Parallels VM of High Sierra the other day for testing purposes.

7. SteveJobzniak macrumors 6502

SteveJobzniak

I jump on new macOS versions almost on release day. But not High Sierra. I anticipated tons of APFS bugs to be uncovered by real world use.

Maybe in a few months I'll upgrade.

@SaSaSushi I understand the need for console if you want to convert the boot-drive. But does High Sierra's Disk Utility in the main macOS (not Recovery Console) support APFS formatting of non-bootdrive HDDs? That would be a good sign that Apple thinks the filesystem should be used by disk drives too.

8. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

You can convert non-boot external drive HDD to APFS with the High Sierra Disk Utility. I did it for one of my external drives, so that my Carbon Copy Cloner backup would be APFS as well, seeing how CCC can now create a bootable APFS drive for High Sierra.

9. SteveJobzniak macrumors 6502

SteveJobzniak

@BasicGreatGuy That's perfect. Hope it all works out well for you. :) APFS is exciting.

10. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

My external SSD boot drive did not get converted to APFS when installing High Sierra. It was a clean install. Is it because it's an external drive?

Attached Files:

11. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Yes.

12. ashleykaryl macrumors regular

ashleykaryl

FWIW I have three internal SATA drives on my computer that were all converted to APFS and all working well. These are non system drives storing general data.

13. Eligos macrumors newbie

Yes!