High Sierra has broken things

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by nightlong, Apr 8, 2018.

1. nightlong macrumors 6502a

nightlong

It’s driving me mad!

So mad, I don’t think I will ever get another Mac, I’m so fed up with being harassed to upgrade and then finding that important things no longer work, sometimes Apple’s own software.

Now it is my USB music keyboard, and my Nifty mini drive. The MacBook can’t see either.

It is not the SD card, I bought a new one, hoping it was that. And it is not the keyboard, still works fine with my ancient IMac running El Capitan. But this is really a bit slow to use now. And GarageBand has gone mad too, disables MIDI and other things on startup. And it is not the USB ports, they still work with printer and hard drives.

I have spent nearly 3 hours on the phone with Apple support and we’ve done all the usual troubleshooting, including downloading a new version of GarageBand. The only thing left to try is taking it back to El Capitan and remaining stuck on that forever!!

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I don’t want to go back to an old operating system.

2. flowrider macrumors 603

flowrider

Apple Support must have walked you through a few things and they must have come to some conclusion. What did they tell you? How did your call end?

Lou

3. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

4. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

have you removed then re-inserted the nifty drive? i've had to do that on a couple of occasions. rebooting helps too. and which keyboard? and how were you harassed into updating?

5. nightlong thread starter macrumors 6502a

nightlong

No conclusion other than it isn’t any of the things they tried, and they don’t know what it is.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 8, 2018 ---
    It’s an old eKeys keyboard, it as I said still works with my old iMac on El Capitan. Yes I have removed nifty drive and rebooted several times, also tried an new card.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 8, 2018 ---
    What is Etrecheck?

6. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

th evolution ekeys? it's realllly old, and reasonably may not be supported any longer;
    "iMac, Power Mac G3 or better with USB running OS9/OSX."

try resetting the power manager (& resetting nvram) on your mac (you can google how to for your model)... that may help with the nifty drive. otherwise, since you've tried another card, you might then contact nifty for support...

7. Papanate macrumors 6502

Papanate

@nightlong
    EtreCheck

M-Audio eKeys? That's just a USB connection. If's it's not working then something might
    be broken with your USB ports - not enough voltage etc...You could try an SMC reset - that
    sometimes works. Probably the Mac Techs already suggested that. High Sierra would not
    break Midi over USB. Also go into Audio MIDI Setup and rescan the MIDI.

With the Nifty mini drive inserted - go into Disk Utility and see if it's recognized.
    You might try running repair on it - although I'm not sure that would help.

Considering that two devices are not working - and both require bus power on their
    ports - it's possible that your ports are broken somehow. And most likely was just
    coincidental with the High Sierra Install.

Quick question - did you install Sierra and then High Sierra - or go from El Capitan to High Sierra?

8. nightlong thread starter macrumors 6502a

nightlong

Ok thanks

9. TheSkywalker77 macrumors 6502a

TheSkywalker77

10. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

OP wrote:
    "Any suggestions would be appreciated. I don’t want to go back to an old operating system."

The way I see it, you have two choices:
    CHOICE 1:
    Keep fighting with a "new" operating system that DOESN'T WORK for you
    or
    CHOICE 2:
    Go back to a slightly older operating system that DOES WORK for you.

What is your choice?
    You must choose!

Suggestions:
    Instead of going back to El Cap, try Low Sierra (10.12) as "a compromise in the middle".
    It's still up-to-date, and works well.

See if Low Sierra works with all your software and peripherals.
    If it doesn't, you can always move back "one more step" to El Cap.

Who made your keyboard? M-Audio?
    Do they have updated drivers for High Sierra?

Regarding the Nifty Drive...
    Just wondering, have you gone to the finder, opened finder preferences, and made sure the boxes for "hard disks" and "external disks" are checked?

11. Jahvision macrumors newbie

Jahvision

High Sierra is a terrorist sabotaged plugins and on and on, I went back to Mac OS Sierra and everything works again.

12. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

ha! anyway, no problems here in logic X, and am enjoying HS...

13. flowrider macrumors 603

flowrider

Couldn't bee that some of your stuff is out of date. Nah - Has to be the the OS - Right:rolleyes:

Lou

14. oldhifi macrumors 65816

oldhifi

I downloaded El Captain the other night and in the process of going back to it, I think High Sierra has too many problems.

15. robo456 macrumors 6502

robo456

I do feel his pain. I have an older iPad 3, which works perfectly fine... When I upgraded to IOS 9 (or was it 10?) I wasn't able to play one of my favorite games, Escape from Rosecliff Island. (a hidden object puzzle game). No it wasn't the end of the world, but it was annoying.

It's one thing if the hardware/software is incompatible or whatever, but to just have things stop working because they're old, that's not cool.

--rob