High sierra installation failure

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by bobsebnz, Oct 14, 2017.

1. bobsebnz macrumors newbie

I was trying to update to the new OS X high sierra in MBP, where after downloading the OSX , system started installing it. But the installation got stuck at 30% and it continued to be at same status for one day. So i decide to shutdown forcibly as thats the only button working tht moment. But when i restarted i couldn't boot into the system past the apple logo (@ black screen). And a programme running on the screen. back and forth between error messages. Can someone help me out how could i get back to earlier sierra mac OS X ? or fixing the installation ?

i have attached picture of error messages here, please help

Attached Files:

2. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

Is the High Sierra installer still in your applications folder?
    (the "full" installer, not the "little 15mb" one)

If so, I suggest you do this as an alternative course of action:
    1. Get a USB flashdrive 16gb or larger
    2. Download one of the following (all are free to use):
    - Boot Buddy
    - Install Disk Creator
    - DiskMaker X
    3. Use one of the above to create a bootable USB flashdrive installer.
    4. Boot from the flashdrive installer, and try again.

NOTE: BEFORE you attempt to create the installer, make a backup copy of the High Sierra Installer app to -somewhere else- ... could be an archive drive, etc.
    I know that IDC above will delete the installer app from the applications folder after it has created the bootable flashdrive.
    You want an "archival copy" stored somewhere, so you don't have to download it all over again!

3. bobsebnz thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks a lot for your response, much appreciated.
    But unfortunately i can't even go past the black boot screen to even go to the application folder. Currently i am using a spare MBP 2009 which none of the new mac os will get installed, not even downloading. May I know where can i get the full installer file from ? is it the full 4.8gb version file ?

4. dianeoforegon macrumors 6502a

dianeoforegon

Can you boot into the Recovery Drive? Hold down Command R.

Open Disk Utility
    Check to see if your internal drive is now formatted a APFS or if it's still HFS+ Mac OS Extended Journaled.
    Do not reformat your drive unless you have backup. Reformatting will erase everything on your drive.

Select Reinstall macOS

5. bobsebnz thread starter macrumors newbie

disk utility -

internal, Macintosh HD - CoreStorage Logical Volume - MacOS Extended (Journaled) (used 472.93gb, free 26.13gb)

Disk Images, OSX Base System, Disk image volume - Mac OS extended (used 1.28gb, free 732.3mb)

Can you please confirm the APFS you mentioned is some new format after the installation of new high sierra ?

Btw, @MacOS utilities windows there is an option of Reinstall macOS (reinstall a new copy of macos). will this fix the issue ?
    I was so stupid that i totally rely on apple and excited in getting the new OSX, so didn't take the back up before hitting the update button.

6. bobsebnz thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks mate, finally it worked after the mayhem.
    thanks a ton for your help,