High Sierra is the worst OS ever

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by EnderBeta, Feb 22, 2018.

1. EnderBeta macrumors 6502

EnderBeta

I don't ask for much out of my Mac Mini and MacBook except to be able to stream my iTunes content from my mini to my Mac Book at night. Since iTunes got updated and I was dumb enough to put High Sierra on both of these devices this use case has completely become flaky. Every night I have to restart iTunes. Sometimes no matter what it just doesn't work.

It isn't just my MaBook having issues streaming iTunes content. The Apple TV 4 doesn't work at all with iTunes streaming any more.

This is the type of thing that is like nails on a chalk board for me. The lack of testing and breaking of the integration between devices is enough for me to look at other devices for content on the TV. It's enough for me to say I'm not buying another Mac ever. Which is fine because their computers are over priced for the hardware anyways and Tim seems to like soldering everything on.

Good job Tim. You took a long time fan of Apple and in 7 short years you have converted me to anything but Apple.

So much for High Sierra being about making it as stable as the days of Snow Leopard. Steve must be rolling in his grave.

2. gobikerider macrumors 68020

gobikerider

Meh trust me Windows is worse when it comes to things breaking from updates and random bugs.

3. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Odd. High Sierra works fine on my iMac 2017. No game-breaking bugs that I've seen. And I use my iMac daily. YMMV.

4. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

Sierra was worse. Looks like the next update will be BIG and address most concerns. Hopefully they use the same idea as Windows 10...just call it macOS and keep maturing it forever. Keep it simple and secure for the older machines and roll out newest features for newest machines. Build number should be for techies to think about.

5. Morpheo macrumors 65816

Morpheo

You're referring to 10.13.4 or next fall's update?

6. chabig macrumors 601

I saw this post last week, and the week before that, and the week before that...

7. dwfaust macrumors 601

dwfaust

Clearly you never used Windows ME or Vista. :D

I've been running High Sierra since the late beta releases, and find it to be pretty solid. I have multiple Macs, including a 2012 Mini that I use as my media server to my network... all have been updated to High Sierra and things work well... I stream a library of about 8,000 songs, 300 television episodes and over 400 movies to the 3 AppleTVs in my home without issue.

And the whole "Steve is spinning in his grave" meme is old. He had his share of misses... funny how we canonize the past and vilified the current. I guess "short memory syndrome" is a good thing for some people.

8. imageWIS macrumors 65816

The biggest issue overall is that there are MAJOR graphical issues with 10.13, regardless if it's a discrete or integrated GPU. Everything from simple web video rendering to work-related programs like AutoCAD, Adobe CS, etc... aren't working properly because of 10.13.

And what is Apple's response? To charge you to 'fix' your hardware, when clearly the hardware works perfectly well. I literately started having issues the moment I upgraded to 10.13... and each subsequent patch (because that's what they are, patches trying to cover up Apples blunder) makes things worse. I have a late-2013 MBP which is spotless and has always worked more or less perfectly until 10.13...!

Frankly, I count my lucky stars that the version of AutoCAD I have on my iMac isn't compatible with Sierra or High Sierra or I would have upgraded and it would have crippled my ability to work. I'll be sticking with 10.11 for the foreseeable future on my iMac until Apple firmly pulls its head out of its ass and properly releases an OS worth Apples reputation and price-point.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 23, 2018 ---
    You're comparing software from 2000 and 2006 respectively, to software from 2017?!? Seriously? And yes, Steve is spinning in his grave is accurate, for even though he was human and mistakes happen, he at least tried to release the best products possible, something that Apple is no longer doing.

9. dwfaust macrumors 601

dwfaust

Seriously? Yes. Since the thesis of your post was "worst os ever", surely the years 2000 and 2006 would be within the set of "ever".

Re: Steve tried to release the best products, are you implying that Apple, under Tim Cook is not even trying? If that's the case, why are you giving them any money.

As I said above, High Sierra works for me.

10. imageWIS macrumors 65816

So it works for you then it means there are no issues with the OS? Is that really how it works? And yes, it's probably the worse Mac OS ever, this is a Mac forum. I think Tim is over his head and have said this from day one; and thus far the evidence is proving me correct.

11. dwfaust macrumors 601

dwfaust

No, all I am saying is it seems to be working well for “me” - one person’s perspective. With regard to any proof, users on a tech forum are not necessarily representative of the population at large.

I didn’t say High Sierra was perfect. No version of any OS, or for that matter, any computer program over about 20 lines of code, is. Sorry that you’re having issues, but many, including myself, have no major issues with it.

12. TMRJIJ macrumors 68030

TMRJIJ

13. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

really, 10.14, and 10.17 will be the worst OSes ever; trust me. or, look back thru these forums (or any mac forums), and you'll find that 10.12, and 10.11, etc etc are the worst OSes ever.

endless cycle. and (for me at least), the whining is no longer entertaining...

14. imageWIS macrumors 65816

I would suggest going onto Adobes in-house forums and just look at the amount of threads and response in it. Even one of Adobes own senior engineers has already stated that there is a major issue with the OS and kindly posted a list of which GPUs are affected (mine is on that list)... Apple hasn't even been kind enough to post such a list or mention that there is a problem.

They have had to release two supplemental updates in a very short amount of time: no one is saying Oss are perfect, but this release is a disaster from day 1.

15. gobikerider macrumors 68020

gobikerider

Adobes always had beef with AMD gpu’s though, I am not surprised they formed a witch hunt for it. Please send a link if you can locate it.

16. fisherking, Feb 23, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2018

fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

one adobe cc app, and no issues. and i work with an office running a lot of CC apps, and some of those macs are on 10.13... and no issues. so, some people have issues, some don't. as it goes with every new OS, and point updates...

17. imageWIS macrumors 65816

How can they be on 10.14??
    --- Post Merged, Feb 23, 2018 ---
    Will do. The list I looked at was Intel's GPUs that clearly Metal 2 isn't working correctly with.

18. Smoothie macrumors 6502a

That might be your experience, but it's not mine. I'm running Win 10 on a desktop I built and on a Microsoft Surface Pro 4. They're both stable and reliable. I'm also running Sierra on my 2017 iMac, and that's stable and reliable, too. I've held off on installing High Sierra because I don't see any compelling reason to do so. There are lots of variables that can affect the stability of a system, and condemning an entire OS that's installed on millions of computers that run just fine because of personal experience (assuming this is true for you) isn't really a fair assessment.

19. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

oops, 10.13; fixed my post...

20. 25ghosts macrumors 6502

High Sierra is great if you adhere to the following three cardinal rules...

1. Don't Upgrade from previous version. Clean Install.
    2. This is one is REALLY important. The macOS installed from the factory is no good. Once you get the Mac - wipe the drive and do a clean install.
    3. Since macOS 10.10 - DO NOT install until .3 version. Just DONT do it. The first 2 versions are not even worth of being called a public beta - the third version is OK and although still having bugs one can actually use the computer.

After received my iMac Pro (10.13.3 preinstalled) I had all kinds of issues. All kinds. Same kind of issues I have always been having with factory installed macOS. After wiping the drive and clean installing - the iMac Pro is a monster with High Sierra.

To those having issues with Adobe - follow above three steps. I play 4.6K CinemaDNG RAW at full quality with loads of effects and don't get a hiccup. On my other Mac (tried upgrading from Sierra to High Sierra) Adobe Premiere Pro would crash on launch and after a big of trouble shooting it would launch but run as terrible as windows app. Clean Installing relieved the issue...

People need to quit the upgrade path. It will ONLY cause issues. Clean Install and you'll be good. The first thing 2nd level Apple Support Engineers ask is - Did you upgrade over an earlier version or clean install ?. They do that for a VERY VERY good reason !

21. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

pure opinion, this is not fact-based. o_O

22. gobikerider macrumors 68020

gobikerider

I also built my pc so the fact that my pc couldn’t print out of the blue one day for no apparent reason was dumbfounding and infuriating considering the length I go to make sure my clean install of Windows 10 just works for me.

23. crescentmoon macrumors member

crescentmoon

Good one!

24. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

I did a clean install of High Sierra and it was garbage. Granted, I did it with 10.13.1, but never have I seen such a buggy .1 release even. I did El Capitan on the .0 and it was rock solid. As was Mountain Lion. The real problem is that since Snow Leopard, Mountain Lion and El Capitan have been the only consistently stable releases. Though, I know that many audio people will disagree claiming that those two sucked and that Lion and Mavericks were both solid. Though I guess that is really the epitome of the issue; Snow Leopard was the last Mac OS X/OS X/macOS version that people unanimously agreed was a stable bug-free release.

25. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

why do people post things like this? "Snow Leopard was the last Mac OS X/OS X/macOS version that people unanimously agreed was a stable bug-free release."

which people? what about macusers who came on board after snow leopard? so tiresome to see people endlessly post their opinions and experiences as if they speak for everyone.

anyway, as an audio pro, am having a stellar experience on HS (to be fair, or not.. i run all the betas, so am closer to 10.13.4 than the current 10.13.3); and, as these forums have proved for years, every new OS is the worst, and best OS... depending on your experience.