High Sierra may have destroyed my 2012 15” rmbp

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by wlossw, Sep 26, 2017.

1. wlossw macrumors 65816

wlossw

So the upgrade went fine, everything was running nicely on High Sierra, and then bam white screen on Thunderbolt Display and then MacBook Pro. Hard reset, back up and running. 2 hours later: bam both screens lockup again, but this time machine wont boot.

I hear a chime, but no apple logo. Smc reset makes the appropriate noises, but no apple logo.

Brought the machine to the Apple store, and they couldn’t get it to boot either.

I’m waiting for a call back after they do more extensive tests.

I suspect either a faulty gpu being pushed by metal 2 or a corrupt partition from APFS. I will post update when they get back with me. I guess I’ll be pulling the trigger on a new iMac sooner rather than later, to bad too i was hoping to wait it out for iMac pro release...

2. wlossw thread starter macrumors 65816

wlossw

Apple store called. I need a new logic board. Perhaps the gpu was on its last legs, but either way I’m convinced High Sierra pushed it over the edge.

3. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Did they give you the depot repair quote of $300, or the logic board replacement cost? Don't know if Apple has that in Canada.

I remember I had to have the logic board on my late 2011 13" MBP replaced. It was sent to Texas and would have cost me $300 at the time, if it hadn't been under AC warranty. The computer is taken to the depot for service, they go over the computer with a fine tooth comb, and fix anything that needs repair for the flat rate.

4. wlossw thread starter macrumors 65816

wlossw

700$ Cad plus sales tax for the repair. According to them it is now working, but my drive is also corrupted and needs to be repartitioned... either way I ordered a bto i7 iMac with 1tb ssd arriving Monday... so the rmbp won’t be pushed so hard in the future.

5. dribando macrumors newbie

High Sierra killed my early 2011 15" MBP. This machine is notorious for a faulty AMD discrete GPU. Apple even extended the repair warranty until Dec 2016 given tens of thousands of complaints. Mine was lucky to survive 6.5 years and every macOS upgrade since 2011. Upgraded to High Sierra and within 5 hours my GPU got fried. I now have a glitchy display and constant boot loops. Machine is toast.

6. wlossw thread starter macrumors 65816

wlossw

Now that I have the machine back it will stay on Sierra.

7. chrfr macrumors 603

Just coincidence. These things have been dying far too frequently since Snow Leopard was the current operating system.

8. Hater macrumors 6502

Hater

Is the recall on faulty discreet cards on 2012's not active anymore or something? I had one replaced for free... (maybe it was 2011's? Was ages ago I can't remember)

9. wlossw thread starter macrumors 65816

wlossw

That program ended last December. I specifically mentioned. Genius said no dice. I probably could have made a fuss under the legal warranty requirement here in Quebec, but I'm tired of fighting.

One thing I can say for sure is moving forward I'm going to try going to another apple store when I need work done. I have had consistently frustrating service experiences with the Apple Store at Fairview Pointe Claire.

10. chrfr macrumors 603

There were programs for the 2011 MacBook Pros with ATI/AMD graphics and the late 2012 and early 2013 retina MacBook Pros with Nvidia GT650m graphics. Both programs have ended.

11. wulidav8975217 macrumors newbie

Same exact thing, almost down to the hours! Been to apple store this weekend, 'sorry High Sierra has toasted your GPU, we are happy to recycle your macbook for free, but we can fix it'...nice!

12. dribando macrumors newbie

I even wrote Tim Cook an email re: the BS. That was back in November. Still waiting on a reply.

13. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

He's too busy campaigning for a future political career :).

14. wlossw thread starter macrumors 65816

wlossw

Also an interesting note: The machine has been running hot as hell (like 90 degrees c at idle) since i got it back... What a crock. Its now basically a paper weight.