HIGH Sierra on macs without SSD

cyclingplatypus

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2007
Earth
I haven't experienced any problems on my iMac (2016) that *gasp* has a platter drive - I haven't noticed any real lag or anything.

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
It will run, yes.
Whether it will run fast and smoothly enough to suit you... well... only YOU will be able to tell us that, after you've tried it.

WARNING DANGER WARNING
Before you upgrade, I would strongly suggest that you create a bootable cloned backup of your internal drive AS IT IS NOW. You can do this by using either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper. Both are free to download and use for 30 days. I prefer CCC because it can also clone your recovery partition as well.

Of course, you'll need an external drive with which to do this.

If for some reason you DON'T like the way High Sierra runs, and you want to "get back, get back, get back to where you once belonged", do this:
1. Boot from the backup
2. Erase the internal drive (wipe it out!)
3. RE-clone the backup drive BACK TO the internal drive.

If you don't have a cloned backup, be prepared for a mountain of frustration and trouble to get back...

JayBayAye8

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2017
Do we need to worry about anything regarding racked enclosures? I have some 3 drive system (I can't remember which, doesn't matter) that uses SoftRAID to manage the discs and RAID setup. What I recall is that these drives have some custom file system that has to be used for error checking and all that with SoftRAID. Anyone got any insight? Should I anticipate it just working fine? I should mention I'm on the black trash can Mac Pro.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I would say as of this point (pre APFS) its safe and performance is on par with High Sierra and El Cap with a HDD (for me). However the feature set isn't vast and you might not benefit too much (if at all) from the upgrade.

But like any OS update just make sure all the software you use is compatible first.

h9826790

macrumors G5
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Do we need to worry about anything regarding racked enclosures? I have some 3 drive system (I can't remember which, doesn't matter) that uses SoftRAID to manage the discs and RAID setup. What I recall is that these drives have some custom file system that has to be used for error checking and all that with SoftRAID. Anyone got any insight? Should I anticipate it just working fine? I should mention I'm on the black trash can Mac Pro.
External HDDs HFS+ software RAID should be OK. I am using hardware RAID at this moment, so not really same situation as yours, and that’s just a data drive. Since you are with the 6,1, I assume you will install the OS to the internal SSD, and use that external HDD enclosure as data storage only. In this case, I can’t see there will be any issue (again, assuming all softwares you need are compatible with HS).