High Sierra OS installation stuck

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by Philip Gould, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Philip Gould macrumors newbie

i am installing high Sierra os on an iMac running Yosemite. Installation is 90%complete and has frozen. Nothing on key board works and I can’t turn off computer using button in back.

Please advise. Do I unplug it and start over? Or what?

2. BLUEDOG314 macrumors 6502

BLUEDOG314

Well if you are holding in the back button for about ten seconds and it is not turning off, then the button is broken and it will not turn back on which means you have bigger problems. In that case yes, you will need to pull the plug.

First, how long has it been at 90%? Over a few hours? If so then yes its stuck and I would advise you first use recovery in attempt to run install again. If it fails again, you will likely have to erase and reinstall the operating system. If you do not have a backup first this will be a problem. If you try the reinstall and it fails, and do not have a backup, let me know here. I can tell you how to use and external drive and either recovery or single user mode to do an rsync dump of data from your home folder to an external drive, at least salvaging data.

3. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

OP:

Suggestion:
    Get a USB flash drive, 8gb or 16gb.
    Create a USB flash drive installer of High Sierra.
    There are free apps out there that can help with this. One I like is Boot Buddy:
    Boot Buddy – sqwarq

Then, boot from the flash drive installer and try the install that way.

Assuming the drive has not been "munged up" by the failed install, I would suggest that you back it up first to preserve your data (if this is important to you).
    I would STRONGLY SUGGEST that you download CarbonCopyCloner (free to download and use for 30 days):
    Carbon Copy Cloner - Download
    Then, create a bootable cloned backup of the internal drive -as it is now-.

After you install, you can connect the external backup during the setup procedure, and setup assistant should be able to "bring your old data over" for you.

4. nekonokami macrumors member

nekonokami

Keep on pressing the button.

Sometimes it does really take a long, long time.