High Sierra:Rearranging applications

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by kuruptmixer, Oct 27, 2017.

1. kuruptmixer macrumors member

I have a 3 monitor display setup with a OWC Thunderbolt 3 dock, each time that I unlock my machine I find that all my applications have rearranged automatically. I then drag the applications in the sequence I prefer only to find it happening again. I've already turned off Mission Control < Automatically rearrange Spaces based on most recent use.

Not sure what else I can do.

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

You didn't say where these applications are. Are you talking about their icons in the Applications folder? Do you mean the "icons" in Launcher? In either case, mine stay where I've put them.

Rearranging Spaces is not the same as doing so for Applications.

3. kuruptmixer thread starter macrumors member

Pardon me, not "applications" but open windows. This would be Outlook, Chrome, Messages, Skype, Excel. They all tend to move around after I unlock my machine.

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Once you have an application's window in the Space/Desktop where you want it, go to its icon in the Dock and right click.
    Choose Options and then Assign To > This Desktop. That should tether it there "permanently". (until you change it)

5. kuruptmixer thread starter macrumors member

This worked for a couple days but its happening again. I'm wondering if its because I'm locking my machine vs. needing to do something else?

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Try sleep instead.

It might have to do with multiple monitors, which is beyond my experience.