Hijacked by it's base.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by DearthnVader, Dec 25, 2016.

1. DearthnVader, Dec 25, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2016

DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

It is a pity, that both major political parties seem to get hijacked by their base these days.

The vast majority of the American public don't see most of the issues that seem to drive politicians and campaigns as even pressing matters, much less feel the need to take fundamentalist views of them.

Most Americans respect the law, and understand that we have processes for changing the law.

The seemingly constant need for one party to drag us back over ground we have already covered, compounded with the other parties constant need to drag us where we don't want to go, or are not ready to go, is dumbfounding.

Neither party wants to settle the issue that drive their base, because they know that settling issues is done via Constitutional amendment, to the degree that any issue can be settled. Both parties are afraid of what they would lose should the people remember that they can amend the Constitution, and they are also afraid that they will no longer be able to whip voting base into voting for them, on issues that most people wouldn't even care about, unless the politicians and media were constantly cramming down our throats.

I'm not voting for anymore candidates, that don't prepose to amend the constitution on these same old tired i issues that they seem to be always browbeating us with.

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Neither party follows their own platform. They are self serving morons who sadly keep getting elected over & over & over because most voters are stupid enough to keep voting them in

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

There are too many extremists involved in political parties IMO.

4. DearthnVader thread starter macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

A lot of the fault lies in the so called silent majority, that doesn't vote at all, polarizing people maybe a way to get more people to vote, but issues matter.

5. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Paging @nfl46

6. kobalap macrumors 6502

Finally, you and I are on the same page. At least, to some degree.

People say one thing (polls) yet they vote another. I mean, let's take a look at how presidential popular vote for the last 4 out of 5 elections. Popular vote has gone to democrats. Yet today, we find ourselves every facet of federal government either controlled by Republicans or about to be controlled by Republicans.

And just as bad as saying one thing then voting another, about half of eligible people stay home when it is time to vote for president. Turnout only gets worse as we talk about voting for senators, congressmen, state offices, county and city seats.

You think federal politics is full of shenanigans? Have a look at what happens in state legislatures. Here is an example from Georgia:

The electorate as a whole is either uneducated or indifferent as to the issues. Laying all the blame on crooked politicians for taking advantage of an indifferent electorate is akin to blaming a pickpocket for taking money that people leave sitting out in plain view unattended.

7. DearthnVader thread starter macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

It's sad when the media is captured by the political parties and project their propaganda as news.

How exactly do you presume people educate themselves on the issues, they could give a flying crap about.

It's nothing but and excuse to economical rape us, the pubic treasury, and future generations, by dividing us on social issues.

8. TPadden macrumors 6502a

Every time I begin to feel that voters are stupid I visit PRSI and feel very thankful elections aren't left up to the "intelligent" :apple: faithful. :rolleyes:
    --- Post Merged, Dec 25, 2016 ---
    Thought I'd question the premise of this thread: How can a party base hijack the party? Seems to me the base IS the party and the party can only be hijacked by an outlying fringe.

9. DearthnVader thread starter macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

True, maybe I should have said ideologues within the parties.

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

We are probably the good guys. At least we discuss issues with Conservatives and Liberals. We don't sit in a bubble.

11. TPadden macrumors 6502a

Parties evolve with their base; Trump successfully hijacked the party, Bernie attempted it without success.

12. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

When parties don't follow their own platform. What the hell is there to hijack?
    Voters decided what they represent to a degree in both cases,sadly the dnc managed to derail sanders

13. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Ah man I don't think I've seen them since election night.