Hilarious - Al Gore's home does use a LOT more power than yours....

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by s2mikey, Aug 3, 2017.

1. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Check this out: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...-get-criticism-an-inconvenient-sequel-1026228

As expected, The King of "Do as I say, not as I do" apparently has a mansion that uses a crap-ton more power than most "normal" peoples homes. That figures. Typical left-wing behavior: Ill fly in private jets to environmental meetings, own multiple luxury homes, a fleet of Ferraris, and suck power down like nothing.... but YOU little serfs need to live by candle-light and drive terrible electric cars. Oh, and your jobs are getting eliminated too.

Hey Al - Go !@#$ yourself.

Like Ive always said - Ill do whatever they want...provided THEY do it all first. Im waiting. Let me know when the elites/rich/hollywooders move into 1700 sq foot homes, drive electric cars, and get rid of their energy-wasting toys & mansions.

Gimme a shout when this happens and we'll talk :D

2. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

Funny this topic is showing up again. It's been known for years. They make all kinds of excuses for him when it's brought up anyway. This won't go anywhere here.

3. Alexander.Of.Oz macrumors 68000

Alexander.Of.Oz

Still doesn't change the message he's trying to get across. This is an ad hominem argument and a red herring at best.

Personally, I believe he should be doing better if he truly wants to inspire others with a genuine sense of trust in him and his message.

4. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

Or maybe he just doesn't believe his own message. It's a political move only.

5. samcraig macrumors P6

So let me ask you. When Trump says companies should hire Americans and businesses shouldn't be using china or other countries for manufacturing - but his businesses do - how do you feel about that? Because I hear people on the right justifying that as that he's not doing anything wrong - it's just smart business.

I think Gore should practice (more) what he preaches. But if you're going to give Trump a free pass on not doing what he says others should do - then that's hypocrisy.

6. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Hello? Al Gore has never been against the use of power. Nor have Liberals. Our country demands a great deal of power now, and will need much more in the future. Everybody understands this!

What Al Gore and the Liberals have been railing against is climate change. Climate change is created by pollution, not by the use of power. Power created from solar, wind, hydroelectric, and geothermic sources is far, far less polluting than petrochemical-based power.

Wake up, man. Going green doesn't mean living in a tent and catching your food with a bow.

7. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

If they used American labor they wouldn't be able to compete in the market. In order to use American labor you need to make labor cheaper. The current corporate tax rate is the biggest expense in American labor. Therefore if you want to remain a successful business it's almost impossible to not use Chinese labor in many industries. Especially in textile.

I am sure Trump would like to use American labor, but he also has to compete with the open market. Reduce corporate tax rates to zero or near zero and we will likely see a difference.

Now Gore being wasteful in his energy use....well he just doesn't care about the polar bears.

8. samcraig macrumors P6

Thanks for the answer. So the answer is yes. You can overlook when the President says do what I say, not what I do - but not Al Gore. Got it.

9. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

Nobody expects him to live in a tent....rumor has it not a single solar panel on his roof.

10. villicodelirant macrumors 6502

villicodelirant

To say I'm not the hugest fan of Gore is an understatement, but I don't see the contradiction, to be fair.

Believing that the world would be globally a better place if certain policies were implemented and taking individual benefit from the lack of such policies - or being filthy rich enough to pay for the costs of those - doesn't seem illogical to me.

Suppose I believe the world would be a better place if home electricity were taxed so as to discourage excessive usage and consequent emissions.
    Since it's not the case, yet, I'll gladly put the AC on 11, only marginally saddened by the cubic tons of polar ice I'm melting.
    If such a policy is ever put into action, I'll turn down the AC - unless I'm billionaire by then, in which case I won't have to.
    Hardly strange, is it?

You might believe that the West would be collectively a better place if we could bring back some manufacturing jobs from China through some protectionist measures, but this does in no way stop you from profiting from it individually by buying truckloads of cheap Chinese electronics, right?

That's because issues at the state, continent or global level can only addressed by policy.
    Simpliying things a lot (but not too much), if Bill Gates would stop flying around in his private jet, that would only make jet fuel slightly cheaper for the other billionaires, who would keep total consumption constant.

So, if you're Bill Gates, why would you stop using your plane?
    If you're an American Mac user, why would you individually stop buying cheap Chinese-produced hardware?

11. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Ah, I see, you're saying that only solar panels on rooftops count as green technology. Gotcha.

12. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

Completely different...There is a reason Trump (or most businesses) use Chinese labor. Wasteful energy policies within your own home while advocating green is a completely different scenario, but I know. You, always defend the democrat even if it's not an equal comparison.

13. samcraig macrumors P6

I guess you didn't read the article but just decided to post anyway?

Gore often notes that his homes are environmentally friendly, but Johnson says his study proves otherwise. The 33 solar panels Gore installed in Nashville produce only 5.7 percent of the home's annual energy consumption while about 3.2 percent more is off the grid, generated by wind and solar, with a bit more coming from hydro-electric dams, he says.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 3, 2017 ---
    No. It's not. If you're going to call someone a hypocrite for not practicing what they preach - then you can apply it to Trump - and his family.

14. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Good god, people are stupid.

It's not the amount of electricity used that is important. (A Tesla uses a heck of lot more kilowatt hours than even the dirtiest old gas guzzler)

The important factor for climate change is the amount of CO2 released in producing the energy. This range from a high of 0.6 kilograms (a little more than a pound) per kilowatt/hour from coal-burning, to as little as 10 grams/ kilowatt hour from wind turbines.

A coal burning power plant produces sixty times the amount of CO2 for each kilowatt hour than does a modern wind turbine.

Al Gore isn't whining that people should stop using electricity. He's suggesting that we look for more efficient, and cleaner, ways of generating it.

15. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

How about Congress and their healthcare ? I'm sure they would fix the current system if they had to rely on it.

Call me cynical but I don't believe Al Gore is really concerned about energy.

16. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

Oh there are a lot of ways to do it, but pulling from the grid isn't very green. 65% of American electricity comes from fossil fuels.
    See OP, told you they will make excuses for Gore.

17. elistan macrumors 6502a

So you agree with Gore's message, you just don't like the messenger?

18. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Huh. I guess in your area, you don't yet have the ability to choose between different electrical providers? If you want to go green, you (a) favor a provider that uses natural gas over one that uses coal, (b) favor a provider that uses nuclear over natural gas, and (c) favor a provider that uses renewables (solar, wind, water) over nuclear.

There are plenty of ways to favor green tech even while pulling power from the grid.

19. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I think many of the anti-Gore camp are being wilfully obtuse to the actual message only to be able to "score" a political point.
    As @elistan said, they just don't like the messenger. So they're happy to point fingers and giggle.

Meanwhile, coral reefs are dying and sea levels rise.
    On that I do agree with you.

Politicians all over the world live in a bubble far removed from ordinary problems and concerns.

20. samcraig macrumors P6

Like your excuses for Trump.

21. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Gore is an irrelevant git almost as narcissistic as Trump. I don't care how much power his mansion uses. I do care about carbon footprints, and energy use is only one component of that (as pointed out above).

22. spacemnspiff macrumors 6502a

spacemnspiff

I don't think we should be presumptuous, he probably has a large family to support.

23. ThisBougieLife macrumors 65816

ThisBougieLife

Actually I'm not sure that it uses more power than mine. Our house is large and ostentatious and uses a lot of power--it's not the "average" by any means (I'm not bragging, that's just how a lot of houses in Woodside are). That said, we've been amping up solar use (to the point where it constitutes far more than 5% of the power) and California gets almost 70% of its power from renewable sources (California's big pollution problems down south are caused mainly by vehicle traffic and, at this time of the year, wildfires). As Drew said, what matters is how the electricity is produced. You could leave lights on all night and it wouldn't have much of an effect on carbon footprint if the power generated to light them was from a wind turbine on your property.

Not saying that's Al Gore's situation, but it matters. Al Gore's carbon footprint may not be much bigger than the average's person's.

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I’ve gotta say he’s got you there. Hypocrisy is never good, regardless of who is spouting it.

25. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Then why is Trump demanding companies make their stuff here in America, but giving himself and his family a pass?

I actually agree with your first post in that Gore should do more to practice what he preaches. But you're giving Trump a pass for the same thing... yes, power using pollutants is different than Chinese labor, but the argument isn't about that, it's about people preaching one thing and practicing another, and you're defending Trump and criticizing Al Gore.

It absolutely is an equal comparison. How is not? People aren't comparing energy to manufacturing, they're speaking about the very point you made.