Hilary Needs Competition

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by hulugu, Mar 12, 2015.

1. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

From Slate, comes this "Hillary Needs Competition: Five Democrats who should challenge the presumptive nominee."

The article mentions several:

Sen. Ron Wyden
    Sen. Sherrod Brown
    Sen. Cory Booker
    former-Gov. Deval Patrick
    former-Sen. Evan Bayh
    former-Mayor Mike Bloomberg
    Sen. Amy Klobuchar

At the very least Clinton needs a real challenge among Dems just to prove that she has the chops for a fight with the Republican who survives the battle royale on their end. So far, her inability to deal with the email question—might want have considered the strategy when you installed the damned thing in the first place folks—doesn't give me much hope that she understands the battle she's facing.

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Please, let's find someone other than Hillary. She's simply too toxic and hated. I don't want to look forward to another eight years of complete disdain by the right. I'd rather take my chances on someone with a little less baggage.

3. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Is it a guarantee that she even runs. She might decide that this isn't worth her time to bother to fight for. It seems the party has declared her the winner already. Is that going to burn them at some point.

4. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

Who would that be? :confused:

Hugh

5. hulugu thread starter macrumors 68000

hulugu

I think it's pretty much a guarantee. The PAC centered around her, Ready for Hilary has raised at least $12.9 million in 2014 and has spent most of that money, indicating the construction of a pretty serious ground-game for 2016.

And, planners for the Clinton team are already making big noises about how much money they're going to throw into this:

She's running.

----------

Well, that was the point of the OP, there are seven other people that Salam thinks might be better candidates.

6. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

Refreshing to see this. But sadly I think hitlary will not only run, but she will win come 2016

7. kendall69 macrumors regular

What's funny is you think your vote still counts.

Hillary was PROMISED her turn GUARANTEED if she stepped aside for Obama. Funny that you all think your vote actually maters. Did you know that Soros owns the company in Spain responsible for the electronic voting totals in our presidential elections? Obama gave it to him. Did you know that it is illegal to know how we get those totals? Democrat voter fraud alone did not bring Obama back, it was mainly through "dial -in-any-total-you-want programming in electronic votes. This is why they despise paper ballots and why certain states use only that method.
    Please explain how Counties in Ohio did not give Romney ONE SINGLE VOTE, pretty impossible. Also explain how some counties had 100% turn out, when the largest turnout in 100 years was 67%. Hmmmmmmmmm.
    Hillary knows she will be President, and no one democrat will run against her as all democrats have their marching orders.

8. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I don't know why you think that.

It doesn't feel to me as if she's been declared anything.

Feels more like she's one gaffe away from being shown the door.

9. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Somebody's been swimming in the conspiracy pool... :D

Nevertheless, we do need someone other than Hillary. No one is exactly clamoring for another Clinton or another Bush. As far as Hillary goes, voters on the right hate her and voters on the left are apathetic about her, seeing her as just another Wall Street tool.

The person that needs to run, Liz Warren, has repeatedly said she's not going to, so as much as I'd love to cast a presidential vote for her, I wish the press would stop badgering her about it. I like Cory Booker and Sherrod Brown, but neither has expressed an interest in running.

10. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Just curious, what makes you so convinced? Nice play on her name by the way, if she wins I'm sure It will catch on in the comments section of theblaze.

11. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Hitlery has been around since her husband was in office.

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Hillary doesn't need competition, America does. Sadly, it looks more and more each day as a Clinton-Bush race. How sad for a once great nation.

13. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

We really don't need either of those options. I really wish a dark horse would enter and win. The current crop of politicians are all terrible.

14. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I hope so too, but I doubt that a totally untested candidate would be any better.

15. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

The problem is when the conspiracy pool turns out to be more accurate than the official story; e.g. the NSA, or questionable voter counts in Ohio.

16. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

So which dark horse should run? Somebody toss out a name, a 3rd party candidate you think would stand a good chance of taking the goods in a 3-way race. There has to be someone.

17. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

Because both democrats and republicans will back what ever candidate ends up on the nomination. They would both vote for the devil against Jesus because the devil was not on the other party:mad:

18. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Lyndon LaRouche. He's tanned, rested, and ready!

19. Thomas Veil, Mar 14, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2015

Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I can only address a couple of those claims at the moment.

Let's start with the so-called entire counties in Ohio that voted unanimously for Obama. First of all, it wasn't entire counties, it was entire precincts, which is a huge difference. Second, thanks to the fact that in the Cleveland area some precincts are almost entirely black (an intended consequence of Republican gerrymandering, no doubt), the idea of everyone voting for Obama in those precincts is not as outlandish as some would make it. PolitiFact explained it in greater detail.

Snopes debunked the Soros story, the most bizarre part of which is the idea that the federal government, not the states, processes the votes.

Don't get me wrong, there is some terrible stuff going on out there, but stories like these don't pass the "Oh, come on!" test.

EDIT: BTW, I know this source won't fly with dedicated conservatives, but the Republican Secretary of State in Ohio has been strenuously trying to find evidence of voter fraud, and has pretty much come a cropper.

20. citizenzen macrumors 65816

For those interested, here's the link to the State of Ohio's report.

http://www.sos.state.oh.us/SOS/mediaCenter/2015/2015-03-12-b.aspx

21. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Obama pretty much had zero baggage when he went into office. That didn't seem to help with the 8 years of disdain for the right, they hated him right off the bat and never stopped. No matter who the president is, about half the country will dissaprove. Unfortunately that's just how it works.

22. citizenzen macrumors 65816

His was a different sort of baggage.

While I do agree that regardless of who is elected, the Republicans will only play hardball, I think with Hillary, it will be hardball, with every pitch thrown at the head, and an endless series of bench clearing brawls.

23. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

Baggage does not really matter. People will still vote for the shiny "D/R" because God forbid the "other " evil win

24. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Please take a moment to read the following.

I know you like to blame the voters, but we're really just making the best of the system we were given.

25. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Whatever we may think about the GOP’s clown car of candidates, at least Republican voters can select from a smorgasbord of candidates and political philosophies, ranging from Evangelicals to libertarians to checked-pants country clubbers to social conservatives.

The Democrats are nominating via royal coronation; a process akin to a no-bid political contract. The Democratic Party is the Halliburton of political parties.