Hillarious follow-up to that Best Buy MBP robbery story.

cloudcity

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2010
So, a few weeks ago some robbers scaled a wall at Best Buy, cut a hole in the roof, rappelled in, and stole $20k of MBP's.

A few of us were discussing how dumb it was to risk your life and going to prison for what would only yield a few thousand dollars for each member of the crew.

I think they stepped their game up, and I'm not joking, this was in the same area:

"Thieves scaled a wall at a pharmaceutical warehouse over the weekend, cut a hole in the roof and rappelled inside to steal about $70 million in antidepressants and other prescription drugs, authorities said Tuesday. "

eat me

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2009
London
lol healthcare is expensive in America. Seriously, how many tablets do you need to nick for $70 mil?

lacoste-rocker

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Lol **** I would say they are on a whole other level now.
It's going to suck when they get caught though, they will get put away for a long ass time.

ARF900

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2009
Says something about Best Buy that it was there practice run. Or maybe they just needed some MBPs to help them plan their heist.

Aboo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
lol healthcare is expensive in America. Seriously, how many tablets do you need to nick for $70 mil?
They are referring to street value. Avg anti-depressant prescription cost for non-generic (e.g. Zoloft) for a 25 mg qd (30 tab) is about $120. Average cost per pill is thus $4. But in reality, the pill probably only costs a few cents to manufacture and distribute.

Hands Sandon

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2008
They are referring to street value. Avg anti-depressant prescription cost for non-generic (e.g. Zoloft) for a 25 mg qd (30 tab) is about $120. Average cost per pill is thus $4. But in reality, the pill probably only costs a few cents to manufacture and distribute.
And the government (us) pay over half of the research costs. Crazy.

TechieJustin

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
So, a few weeks ago some robbers scaled a wall at Best Buy, cut a hole in the roof, rappelled in, and stole $20k of MBP's.

A few of us were discussing how dumb it was to risk your life and going to prison for what would only yield a few thousand dollars for each member of the crew.

I think they stepped their game up, and I'm not joking, this was in the same area:

"Thieves scaled a wall at a pharmaceutical warehouse over the weekend, cut a hole in the roof and rappelled inside to steal about $70 million in antidepressants and other prescription drugs, authorities said Tuesday. "
Interesting.
The problem is how are they going to fence the stuff? In the US you can only get prescription drugs form authorized wholesalers.

Aboo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
Interesting.
The problem is how are they going to fence the stuff? In the US you can only get prescription drugs form authorized wholesalers.
True, but street sales of benzos and amphetamines are quite common. Obviously it would be illegal, but people need their fix. :mad:

solarein

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2010

Well, the same area as in Northeastern United States.

The Best Buy theft: http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/03/acrobatic_thieves_hit_nj_best.html
The Eli Lilly theft: http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hIOYuBBb6-9FPo4fUNycrXS8q-EwD9EFTH2G1

But the modus operandi are strikingly similar, so there may really be something to this...

Aboo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
Well, the same area as in Northeastern United States.

The Best Buy theft: http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/03/acrobatic_thieves_hit_nj_best.html
The Eli Lilly theft: http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hIOYuBBb6-9FPo4fUNycrXS8q-EwD9EFTH2G1

But the modus operandi are strikingly similar, so there may really be something to this...
It might be coincidental, but actually there was Burn Notice episode with a very very similar tactical move. For those who don't know, Burn Notice is a spy show that plays on the USA network. Anyways, the episode probably aired about 5-6 weeks ago (I'm not sure of the exact date), but they pull of a very similar operation.

lacoste-rocker

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2010
Atlanta, GA
It might be coincidental, but actually there was Burn Notice episode with a very very similar tactical move. For those who don't know, Burn Notice is a spy show that plays on the USA network. Anyways, the episode probably aired about 5-6 weeks ago (I'm not sure of the exact date), but they pull of a very similar operation.
Damn Copy cats no one is original anymore.

Skuman

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2009
My thoughts exactly. If they'd stolen them from a warehouse in another country, it would have only been $10 million.

Aboo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
There is (effectively) no street value in antidepressants.
It may not be as high as other narcotics, but there certainly is enough of a "street value" to make its dealings worthwhile. I refer you to "Black-Market Value of Antipsychotics, Antidepressants, and Hypnotics in Las Vegas, Nevada" in Am. J. Psych. for reference. The range is between 50 to over 500 bucks for a bottle of 30 pills. The range extends far higher than that for other psychiatric drugs.

clindner

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2006
What about the MBPs?

Wouldn't the serial numbers of the stolen machines get flagged, so that a trip to the Apple Store would alert them to call the cops?

Black Mesa

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2010
Makes prefect sense, the robbers needed 70 million $ worth of antidepressants for themselves after they learned the MBPs they had stolen weren't refreshed Arrandales. :D