Hillary Clinton charges that Russian President Vladimir Putin has NO SOUL

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Cleverboy, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    I was reading a recent NYTimes article on Obama's momentum, and Clinton's recent comments about it. At one point, in criticising George W Bush, Hillary makes the comment.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/07/us/politics/07campaign.html?ref=politics
    I sware... I don't hold ANY love for Putin. It was with some degree of cynicism that people observed his "Person of the Year" award from Time magazine. But, God as my witness, I can't see any advantage to commenting that the man "has no soul". I read that and my mouth dropped open. You can disagree with another leader, and strongly criticize the actions of his government, but in my opinion, if you start saying that certain leaders "have no soul", you're in the business of making sure burning bridges have plenty of fuel.

Does this kind of rhetoric alarm anyone else? I'm sorry that Kasparov had to kill his candidacy, and I'm not sure about the state of the Russian economy, or the mind of its people... but um... WTF? :confused:

~ CB

2. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Just like vampires, zombies and werewolves, the soulless can identify each other.

I trust her.

3. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

She is the most qualified person to make this observation, that's for sure.

4. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Someone running on the platform of "I'm-more-experienced-than-you" can't go around spouting garbage like that. I really hope that Obama takes it to Hillary in the next few months...

5. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Seriously? I thought American leaders had a proud history of ridiculous statements. She'll fit right in.

6. Cleverboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

What she said wasn't "ridiculous", it was patently insulting to a foreign head of state. You couldn't begin to call it "nonsensical". It's just a REALLY dumb thing to say as a public statement to the press. I'm not sure why other papers haven't started writing about that quote (made Sunday).... OH CRAP... I knew it...

Hillary Says Putin Has No Soul
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/01/06/hillary-says-putin-has-no_n_80127.html
    Helloooooooo....

The Star
    Hillary Clinton, campaigning, ponders Putin's soul
    http://thestar.com.my/news/story.as...01_NOOTR_RTRMDNC_0_-312711-1&sec=Worldupdates

The Austrailian
    Ex-KGB spy Putin has no soul: Clinton
    http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23016900-2703,00.html

Looks like this story just started...

~ CB

7. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Hillary is not the first, nor will she be the last to say something patently insulting about a head of state. The only difference between this and placing another, less popular foreign statesman at the start of a poorly thought out statement is the fact that Putin and Russia are currently American Allies. Had she made the same statement about many Middle Eastern nations or made the same statement in the 80s, most wouldn't bat an eye.

Am I defending the statement? Absolutely not. Am I the least bit surprised that a prominent American Presidential hopeful would say something so unabashedly stupid? Not is the slightest.

The American political landscape is so devoid of real debate and discourse that candidates are more willing to stick their necks out on ill-conceived soundbytes than actual policy statements. However thoughtless her remark may have been, that's the real disappointment here.

8. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I agree, very dumb thing to say. On the other hand, this is primary season, so she's playing for domestic votes. All the candidates are going to say things with US votes in mind. If she becomes president, I'm sure she could pursue a perfectly good relationship with Russia. Realistically, while a gaff like this is going to feed into the Russian anti-Western propaganda machine, the reason the machine is running (other than the primary reason of domestic consolidation of power) has more to do with issues like missile basing in Eastern Europe, Ukrainian and Georgian pipelines, Central Asian basing, etc., than how US and Russian leaders _feel_ about eachother.

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yeah, dumb statement, but the knives really come out for Hillary, don't they?

I mean, Bush got a glimpse of Putin's soul way back when, and nobody called him a vampire or said he was the most qualified to have observed it or anything...

10. Queso macrumors G4

Although I thoroughly agree with what she said, she really ought to have kept her mouth shut.

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Cue Monica Lewinsky joke...

12. Cleverboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

No, the same would have been said if ANY OTHER candidate had made the same remark (especially Obama, his supporters like him specifically for his tact)... unless the offending candidate weren't serious contender, then no one would care much.

Her comment mirrors something McCain said with much MUCH more tact. Her comment was arrogant. The fuller comment adds much more context, but calling him inhuman wasn't necessary. Bush's original statement was not a "negative", but an attempt by him to emphasize personal relationships as he does. McCain's statement was that when he looks into Putin's eyes, he sees three things... K, G, and B. Hillary's comment was a wordy attempt to capture the same sentiment by saying too much.

~ CB

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I dunno... Bush has called Kim Jong Il some pretty bad things before, and I don't recall anyone saying "it takes one to know one".

14. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

And he called Saddam Hussein various things. So what. Neither of them are Putin.

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Not sure what that means. Are you saying that because Putin is better or worse than SH or KJI that it's OK to call them names but it's not OK to say mean things about Putin?

16. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Well, I'm moreso saying Russia is not North Korea or Iraq. Russia is a major world power. Iraq and North Korea are semi-collapsed minor states.

I agree with your point to some degree though. Bush is hardly to be credited for namecalling.

17. Cleverboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Agreed all around.

Mactastic's original point though, was that people sounded a little hard on Hillary. Personally, I think we're all disgusted with the state of politics in the U.S. Don't rush to the defense of Clinton for some weird pseudo-chivalry-rational. I'm well aware of the studies that show reactions to women in power. Let's pretend that's not at work here for a moment.

I'd say the same thing about ANY candidate caught saying the SAME thing (not something similar or related... I'm critical what she actually said). Bush has been criticized ad infinitum (can't say ad nauseam, because I never get tired of it). A friend of mine had that same... strange... reaction to anyone criticizing Hillary, no matter if it was justified or not. "Ah, come on... give her a break." People are jumping on Huckabee, Obama, Romney, McCain... plenty of criticism to go around. Is it neo-chivalry to ask that Hillary gets "a break"? Sorry, that's ridiculous. Just so long as its not personal, sexist, or baseless... its fair game.

Really. 21st century and all. If this were 4 years ago, she'd have my vote, and I'd just cringe... and pretend I didn't hear her. That's what we all tried to do with Kerry, but he got beat up for his goofs before he made it back to the race. Y'know?

~ CB

18. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Given the stain, it seems she, too, kept her mouth shut. :p

19. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Vladmir Putin, the Russian nationalist, has cojones and threatens the neutered leaders of the West. So what does this mean for Hillary?