Hillary Clinton Refuses To Answer Press Questions, Offers Them Chocolate Candies Instead

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zin, Aug 26, 2016.

1. zin macrumors 6502

Pathetic!

2. samcraig macrumors P6

What do you have against chocolate?

3. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Seriously?

Look, I enjoy the amateur effort, but a smart-ass response as a replacement for "no comment" or "no questions" is just tradecraft on the modern political scene.

Now, if you want to talk about the fact that Hillary has rarely issued a formal press conference—the NAHJ event being a prime exception—let's talk about that.

Though, we should also note that political campaigns are increasingly less likely to hold press conferences, and that Donald Trump has gone the extra mile by having security to eject people he doesn't like while restricting credentials to outlets that criticize him.

So, if you want to talk about the problem of press access to candidate, let's do that. But, if you want to use the press as another cudgel to attack Clinton, spare me.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 26, 2016 ---
    But, as Charlie Pierce notes in Esquire, the modern press conference is a dead parrot.

4. zin thread starter macrumors 6502

The press have had far greater access to Trump than Clinton. Hillary claims to be the most transparent candidate in modern times. This is laughably false. The reason Hillary avoids press conferences is because she gets demolished in them. She couldn't even handle the fake press conference at the NAHJ event without short-circuiting (her own words).

Spare me the excuses of an opinion piece by somebody spinning the absence of her press conferences.

5. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Yes....your constant relentless silly attacks on Clinton are indeed pathetic.

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

On balance it is probably better to be shy of press conferences than to be devoid of policy.

7. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Yes. Though with important caveats.

She actually said that she was "most transparent public official in modern times as far as I know." Which is to say, damning herself with faint praise, even if she was correct.

Arguably, yes. There's simply no benefit for Clinton as a candidate to hold press conferences, and herein lies an important problem, while Trump has held 11 press conferences from December to July, the Clinton campaign has shifted to individual interviews holding roughly 300 of them in the same time period.

You dismiss Pierce's argument because it illustrates something important, a press conference is not the summation of press access. Personally, I hate them and prefer individual interviews.

8. samcraig macrumors P6

Simple fact is - Trump's a publicity whore and believes that no press is bad press. They either say something he agrees with and loves them - or uses it to have a twitter meltdown to rant about his unfair treatment. He rants about articles published, then calls that publication and asks for copies. That's ONE reason he give access to the press. He's a showman. He's not a politician. He loves an audience.

If you don't get that - you don't understand much.

9. zin thread starter macrumors 6502

Cable television interviews are in no way comparable to press conferences. They are grounded, you get breaks, you have spin doctors ready and waiting, follow-up questions don't get drilled into you, and sometimes you are told in advance what the topics will be. I do hope that even you are aware of that.

10. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

trump does dodge on his tax returns and and health records the rest he just changes what he said.

11. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Right. And, Trump's relationship to the media is to give access, and then take it way when it suits him. Meanwhile, he constantly demonizes the press to froth up his crowds at rallies.

I've had old white guys threaten me at such events—which I found hilarious because unless these guys are Yoda, I think a walker preempts their ability to do much damage. However, a group in Phoenix threatened a young female reporter and she was afraid that they would jump the crowd-control barrier and attack her. A local police officer noticed and stood next to her for the next hour.

Meanwhile, Trump often ignores questions, but goes on to tell a crowd of 2,000 people that the press have become a danger to Democracy.

But, wow, Trump has held a dozen press conferences, so let's forget about that other thing.

12. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Listen to her interview from this morning. There were no breaks and plenty of follow up. I think one reporter dogging someone with questions for 20 minutes is much more effective than a bunch of reporters fighting to get a single question in, some of which can be rather inane.

13. samcraig macrumors P6

Oh I don't know...

Doesn't look like all that helped Michael Cohen. But maybe you mean the candidates specifically.

--- Post Merged, Aug 26, 2016 ---
    He didn't watch I guarantee you. And that clip is out of context.

14. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Individual interviews are not all cable television interviews there chief. And, press conferences are short, and the candidate gets to call on favored reporters.

The press conference is not the end-all of press access and has become increasingly less important over time.

15. samcraig macrumors P6

I believe the one of the closest ways we get inside Trump's head is through his twitter account. Very revealing

16. Robisan macrumors 6502

You buried the lede - Hillary was outrageously breathing and depriving the press of the oxygen she shamelessly consumed. #LockHerUp

17. samcraig macrumors P6

And clearly she needed the chocolate to keep her energy/blood sugar levels up.

18. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

If Clinton gave me this at a press conference I'd forget that she and everyone else in the room were even there. So someone on her staff is not entirely crazy to think about the candy handouts.

GreenAndBlackMayaGoldChoc.jpg

19. samcraig macrumors P6

Only 60%? I prefer more around 72%

20. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

I'm shameless when it comes to chocolate. I will eat even eat a chocolate Easter rabbit. Fake milk choc? :eek:

21. samcraig macrumors P6

You know who has terrible chocolate? No lie - Russia. At least the kind my in-laws brought back. Ech! I think it was the first chocolate bar my wife and I threw out after one bite.

To bring it back on topic - I hope Putin doesn't give Trump chocolates to hand out to the press.

22. zin thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, I've read this too.

23. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Putin's probably giving chocolates to Assad these days and the Butcher's Kid should definitely get a food taster.

I'm with Clinton doing more interviews and continuing to hand out chocs at press confs. And not just because of the chocolates. The pressers are just pick-me pick-me scrums and often all homed in on some gotcha type query that results in potential voters' learning nothing they didn't already read/view TMI on somewhere else. Complete waste of time. I'd stll show up for the chocolates though if I worked in the media.

24. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Something seems missing, that outline above sounds like a script for a cartoon parody.

25. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

What I want to know is why someone from the UK is interfering in the American election and where are her Parkinson's disease symptoms in that video ?