"Hillary Clinton Tells College Students, ‘I Need You’"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by thermodynamic, Sep 24, 2016.

1. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/20/us/politics/hillary-clinton-speech-millennials.html

Article has more. Read it and assume nothing from the snippet presented here. Assume that disclaimer for all posts I start with quotes and with excerpts as anyone can read any quoted excerpt and try to put it out of context when the only goal is to put out something to get people to read the whole thing and few of us here have degrees in marketing.

The one thing I will say is, and this is aimed at no single person or company in particular since the media has spouted the issue hundreds if not thousands of times over the last decade or more, but Obama and other political and corporate leaders keep saying the same thing about needing educated people, yet the only thing people have seen are stagnated wages and huge student loan debts and companies (that demand people with college degrees as a job qualifier, so no degree=no job = no choice) saying the college educated aren't good enough as to why they won't hire or train here to compensate for what those pitiful colleges have done in fleecing students, never mind other tangents. Not even for "entry level" jobs where that pretty much implies "no experience" and how the "entry level" staff get to learn and move forward since that's part of the point of the designation "entry level", which is the most bizarre aspect of it all when said company demands 5 years' experience plus $75k (or more, with ease) 4-year degree for that "entry level" job. Are these companies ran by people lacking critical thinking skills? Or wanting to make students wanting to contribute to society nothing more than neo-indentured servants?

We should all be helping each other lift each other up, in this country. Not tearing it apart without realizing it.

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

When college students hear about Gary Johnson and Jill Stein, they realize that they can vote for president and conserve their principles and their integrity.

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

What Gary, I love TTIP, Johnson and Gary, I lie as much as Hilary, Johnson? And Jill, I get 10 people to show up, Stein?

4. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

jill steins pretty popular on college campuses actually. a lot just won't turnout though.

5. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

If they don't, they'll get what they deserve. I've never understood throwing toys out of the pram because no candidate is an exact match to one's political beliefs. There is always a choice, even if it is to minimise damage.

6. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Hillary desperately _needs_ to win. She needs college students.

It's as simple as that. It's on her bucket list, it's on her mind every minute of every day. It's crucial to her ego, her sanity, her deep intrinsic need for more power and influence. Her entire existence as an influence peddler requires access to the White House.

She knows nothing else. She has no where else to go.

The sad, sick, despicable woman.

7. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

we are an idealistic bunch. maybe more so than previous generations at our age

8. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Hillary is a corporate and Wall Street sellout, why would the liberal college crowd vote for her?

9. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

And then end up with Trump as president and they lose out on the chance to have any of their principles held by the president.

10. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Because they're not all liberals and because for those who are not, Ted Cruz (favored in the primaries by quite a few millenials) did not prevail over Donald Trump and not everyone's a yuge fan of Mr. Trump?

So if they don't like Trump because he might well be to the left of Clinton, who knows?!, and they do want their vote for president to count in 2016, they vote for Clinton for prez and then vote GOP/conservative down-ballot.

Or so this was explained to me by a local guy who's anything but liberal, although he's in college.

11. VulchR, Sep 26, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2016

VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Doubt it - but I am glad the millennials' ideals are more egalitarian, on average, then the baby boomers and Gen Xers. (I write this as a borderline Gen Xer/baby boomer) I just don't see how allowing Trump to get elected will do anything other than lead to catastrophe. At least with Clinton there'll be time to undue the damage because a GOP Congress won't work with her and any change she makes will be incremental. In contrast, imagine a GOP Congress working with Trump.... :confused:

12. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Dont all college students mostly vote blue anyways? Of course, once they get a little older and get the bill for all the Govt programs they turn conservative ;)

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

What's amazing to me is this line of "undoing the damage" that the Dems always go with.

How is it in the USA, we can lurch rightward in the manner of months with a Republican controlled Congress, yet the Dems always promise a slow, gradual, so-slow-it's-hard-to-think-they're-just-doing-this-for-appearances restoration only up to the point where things were before the rightward lurch....then the GOP comes in again.

Basically, we're sliding rightwards legislatively perpetually because even when the Dems are in power they don't have the balls to tell the GOP to shove it and instead water down every single agenda item they work on in the name of compromise...with lunatics.

I honestly don't get it, other than the fact that both parties are aligned when it comes to issues that involve corporate power.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 26, 2016 ---
    No, some of us make pretty decent money and actually give a **** about other people.

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Because she's not a racist?

15. samcraig macrumors P6

Thanks for this morning's laugh.

16. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Well, I'd prefer the Democrats taking back Congress and electing Clinton, but somehow I don't think that will happen unless Trump acts like Trump tonight. And if the Congress is GOP and the Presidency is Democract, we'll have more gridlock but perhaps less b****** crazy right-wing legislation.

17. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

it really comes down to 2 things before i look at a candidate more seriously. 1a. what are you gonna do about climate change and 1b. are you racist and is your platform built on xenophobia. while the previous GOP candidates haven't been racist themselves, the climate change argument just throws them all out. trump is 0-2 for both though