Hillary Clinton to serve as keynote speaker at cyber defense summit

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, May 30, 2019.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

2. Admiral, May 30, 2019
    Last edited: May 30, 2019

Admiral macrumors regular

Admiral

Screen Shot 2019-05-31 at 12.01.02 PM.png

Government cybersecurity professionals may register and attend free. All of my intelligence-community cybersecurity buddies hate her ****ing guts, to a man, so free attendance plus an "intimate Q&A" opportunity promises much hilarity. And again, to a man, my friends who've heard about this have declared they will never recommend or specify the cybersecurity products and services of FireEye, this event sponsor, so this really seems like US$300,000 well spent by the dopes at FireEye. Who on Earth would invite Hillary ****ing Clinton to a "best practices" event on cybersecurity?

3. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

Pretty ironic choice for the keynote speaker at an event cyber preparedness.

Maybe we will see Harvey Weinstein be the keynote speaker at some event raising awareness about sexual harassment in the workplace.

There is supposed to be an intimate Q&A keynote discussion with HRC, what kind of answers are people expecting to get when she is quoted to say:

4. Altis macrumors 68030

The comments over on the FireEye facebook post are hilarious. :p

5. raqball macrumors 68000

I hear she is giving a speech on bleachbit and the proper destruction of cellular devices....

This story is pure gold!

6. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

Q&A eh?

If I am careless with government classified information, by law, what’s my punishment?

7. fivenotrump macrumors 6502

8. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

What a massive opportunity for "Vice"-level irony. Sweet baby Jeebus, this will be a disaster—I hope there's a live feed.

9. bambooshots macrumors 65816

bambooshots

10. samcraig macrumors P6

This is like having Trump speak at an Ethics conference! :)

11. appleisking macrumors 6502a

I don’t understand have people lost the ability to be self aware or something. Who in gods name thinks this is a good idea ?

12. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

It's making people talk, and people will talk about it. From an organizer point of view, this is perfect.

13. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Clinton could talk about how she created her own problems, politically and ethically, by using her own server and how security is about more than just technology, but she's never struck me as the kind of person who could admit publicly that she screwed up.

14. jerwin macrumors 68020

Wired disagrees.

https://www.wired.com/2016/09/actually-clinton-destroyed-phones-better/

15. Admiral macrumors regular

Admiral

FireEye depends on selling cybersecurity products and services to the US government, which staffs its IT departments, so far as I can tell, primarily with military veterans who once worked for the NSA. These are the people who ultimately drive the decision on whether to specify FireEye or some other vendor's products and services, and all of them hate Hillary Clinton's ****ing guts with a white hot passion. Yes, they're talking all right. But they're talking about never speccing FireEye again.

16. jerwin macrumors 68020

Ask yourself why shredding services exist.

17. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

556fmjoe

I know of someone who got fired from a clearance job for absent-mindedly plugging in his personal cellphone to charge in a work (SIPRNet) laptop. The fact that she is not rotting in a federal prison for the rest of her life after doing 1000x worse and then covering it up is absolutely infuriating.

18. raqball macrumors 68000

Nah I'd rather wait for her to explain it....

19. jerwin macrumors 68020

Sigh-- a lot of companies can't afford to keep every scrap of paper properly filed and archived. But some of those worthless scraps of paper are like credit card offers-- they contain enough information to compromise the privacy of their customers or the profitability of their businesses-- if retrieved by unscrupulous individuals. So everything goes in a shredder before it goes to a landfill.

20. raqball macrumors 68000

Sigh - If you can't see the humor and irony in her being a keynote speaker and a cyber security summit then I really can't help you see it, sorry....

21. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

22. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

It's possible to see the humor and irony and also to see @jerwin's point.

There's classified and then there's overclassified and a lot of what gets classified in the ambience of State Dept and the diplomatic corps undoubtedly falls in the latter category, i.e. juicy but constrained gossip about drunk or incompetent ambassadors, not sources and methods of surveillance, or who got noticed spying for the USA while pretending to be an embassy clerk and is being sent home persona non grata. ​

(If the Congress wants to clean up how all Secretaries of State have chosen one way or another of dispatching their tedious mail-related chores without spending inordinate time and effort doing it, then let them allocate some monies to make it a lot simpler for them to shunt stuff around properly without so much personal attention to what could be automated for them with a lot of it handed off automatically to lower level aides.) ​

Anyway if speaking about cybersecurity issues ROFLMAO is all Clinton's going to do in the way of media-covered semi-public appearances prior to the real launch of the 2020 Democratic primaries... then I sure don't have a problem with it.

I wouldn't shell out any dough to hear this "intimate Q&A". Also not sure why someone would actually ask her to participate in such an event.

Which leads me back to my first-stated concern, namely wondering if that's that all she's going to do... or is this antic some kind of media-testing springboard back into politics? Whose idea was it?

Inquiring minds of Democrats running for President in 2020 will like to know why this is even happening now with Clinton's name attached to it.

Bizarre indeed. @fivenotrump nailed it.

23. raqball macrumors 68000

Or the peeps serving time for snapping a selfie in a Sub... Madness considering what she did in relation and got nada....

24. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

It's a dead horse certain people are still beating, with diminishing returns.

Meanwhile it is pretty startling that Clinton was selected for this FireEye presentation. I really hope it's not some testing-the-waters trial balloon to see what media coverage she gets and for how long it continues and how many and what kind of memes get spun off it. And for what reason someone or a bunch of someones want to find out. I want her not to end up involved in the 2020 election scene for the Democrats.