Hillary Clinton Used Only Personal Email Account as Secretary of State

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by sodapop1, Mar 3, 2015.

1. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-email-account-secretary-state-report-n316096

It strikes me as very odd that Clinton didn't have a government issued email account as Secretary of State. As expected, all of the Clinton haters are suggesting that this was something nefarious and that she only did so to hide all of her actions or they highlight the obvious security implications of discussing government business on a personal email account. Regardless of her motivations, the one thing that this does reveal is how disconnected Hillary Clinton was from the day to day operations of the State Department. Perhaps, she relied on her personal assistants to keep her apprised of everything that was going on and used them to communicate with the other employees.

2. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I didn't see anything that states that she didn't have a government email, only that she didn't use it. I much more concerned with the security issues rather than whether congress gets to read them. Classified information would obviously route though the secure networks but still.

3. sodapop1 thread starter Suspended

sodapop1

Ah, I guess that's what I get for not providing all of my sources that I either read or watched on TV. The CNN article does state that she didn't have a government issued email.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/02/politics/hillary-clinton-2016-emails-secretary-of-state/index.html

4. vrDrew macrumors 65816

For whatever reason, there seem to be people who don't quite grasp the difference between a personal e-mail account and a business or professional one. I'm not sure if it is purely a generational thing, but I think that does play a part in it.

I think part of the problem is that as an individual, one may be get so used to communicating as HillaryRodC@aol.com - it becomes all but unimaginable to suddenly become SecyClinton@state.gov. Almost as if one had stopped talking in ones own voice and started using another one completely.

There is also, I think, the idea that e-mail communications fit somewhere lower down the hierarchy of communications that do more formal written letters, memoranda, and notes.

5. sodapop1 thread starter Suspended

sodapop1

I agree that the generational aspect does play an important role in it. I wouldn't be too surprised that even today, there are still some business executives that outright refuse to use a computer :D

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

7. Meister Suspended

Meister

Yes. Distrust in technology is rampant where I live. My boss still uses floppy discs and communication has to be handled by snail mail which is delivered by kids or people who work for less than minimum wage. About half of my snail mail gets lost.

8. sodapop1 thread starter Suspended

sodapop1

True, it could demonstrate just how out of the loop she was on everything and they will try to paint her as an out of touch leader.

9. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

Well, if the shoe fits...

10. nfl46 macrumors 603

:rolleyes:

----------

It didn't take long for the Republicans to start the Hillary Clinton bashing...meaning, these articles are all over the internet today. I even saw that Jeb Bush posted something on his Twitter about it. :rolleyes:

Hillary '16!

11. sodapop1 thread starter Suspended

sodapop1

Sure one legitimate concern about Hillary and now all of these clowns in the GOP circus suddenly think they have a chance :D

12. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

I'm sure Hillary is squeaky clean so she should have nothing to worry about :rolleyes:

13. nfl46, Mar 3, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2015

nfl46 macrumors 603

I don't think you nor anyone can name a squeaky clean politician. We know they ALL lie! That's part of the job.

----------

Exactly! Its sad how she hasn't even announced she's running and they already have commercials about her! Everyone knows the White House is hers to lose. Her chances are far greater this time than 2008.

14. Eraserhead, Mar 3, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2015

Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The real reason is that the government email probably has ansnine storage limits or something.

Email isn't secure though regardless of service.

15. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

There are but not in any real sense.

16. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Government emails are FOI, so anyone can request information.

17. scjr macrumors 68000

scjr

Plenty of Republican politicians (who are now criticizing Clinton) supported and voted for Mitt Romney, even after this gem:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1111/68583.html#ixzz3TLGdiUJ4

Politicians believe in transparency and integrity, only when it suits their needs.

18. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I agree. I think this may be a serious issue.

Likely. That is the old school way of doing it. It does suggest that she has both a limited understanding of, and, distrust of, computer technology. I wonder how much "other" email there actually is? It may all have been handled by assistants. But, I would still be concerned. Even a private visit to Chelsea could have security implications if leaked in advance. She should have understood that. It is not like she was Secretary of Commerce.

I disagree with both points. As head Dept of State, she could easily override, and, fix, the first one. I'm guessing that she just saw IT in general as overhead or non-productive spending. And, while email is never perfectly secure, some email is a lot more secure than other email. I would suggest that everything involving the Secretary of State should be sent encrypted, including dinner menus.

Not all email is subject to FOIA. Such as classified information. But, almost anything at State would be be confidential up to a point. For security reasons, you would expect that lots of visitors and schedule times would not be announced in advance.

19. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

It also states that previous Secretaries of State did the same thing.

I think this is an issue in that they all should have been using government emails in order to be sure that all records were kept, but it isn't the partisan issue that people are trying to make it out to be.

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Everything is archived, even if there is confidential information it is still kept on record.

21. technosix macrumors 6502a

Hilarious, oops, Hillary being the political powerhouse she is even had Frat Boy so intimidated that his fear kept him from using his rank to get her on track.

A secret that everyone knew about yet even his personal news channels and other mainstream press kept the secret. Her use of her email and the vast number of other special privileges are a very impressive accomplishment. The woman's highly skilled. She can play hard ball better than that golfer guy.

Thanks to Clinton News Network, cloaked as CNN the Clinton Political Juggernaut Rolls On. Now with more cash than a third world country the Three Raiders are thrilled that another election cycle is not too far off.

22. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

This post makes no sense at all..

What exactly are you trying to say?

23. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

You might want to retype this in English rather than raw unfiltered thoughts.

24. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Two things: if she was communicating with DoS staff, the government servers will have every message archived anyway. If she was using her own mail to communicate directly with foreign leaders, with the possibility of deleting them with no record, that would be very improper – but if she wanted to do that, she would find a way to do it anyway. Like, have a gmail account, or, for that matter, they could use IRC or something.

It all sounds like a maelstrom in a metaphor to me.

25. citizenzen macrumors 65816

It most likely is.

However, government employees should use government email.

While I wouldn't crucify Hillary over this—unless more damning information comes out—I hope she's the last public servant to use personal email to conduct public business.