Hillary Finally Gave a Press Conference. It Was a Master Class in Obfuscation.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jdillings, Aug 5, 2016.

1. jdillings macrumors 65816

2. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

3. samcraig macrumors P6

From what I gathered, she at least stayed on topic. Unlike another candidate.

4. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

That other candidate does not give press conferences more of a insult fest and bragging opertunity.

5. samcraig macrumors P6

Who are you writing to? You realize that writing that on here is the equivalent to yelling at your tv?

6. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

works for me :D

7. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

All right, I watched the video of her answer, and unfortunately it reminded me a lot of Bill. So much ducking and weaving.

I do understand that she doesn't want to come right out and say anything that could be used against her. But these circuitous answers aren't doing her any favors.

Why can't she just say something like, "I've answered that question before and as far as I'm concerned I am putting the issue behind me"?

If she keeps doing this, she's going to give Trump another chance.

She'd better figure out how to control her oratorical loop-de-loops before the debates begin.

8. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

9. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

my wife always talks or gets pissed at her devices. she is blind and they talk back :D

10. daflake macrumors 6502a

Except you responded and his TV doesn't do that.

11. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

thanks for the honest review.

12. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I yell at my devices all the time if they're unlucky enough to be in the room when I lose my cool over something. Last week one of them gave me pause though; whatever I said to the canopener while struggling with a container of tomatoes must have sounded to Siri like a wakeup call. She piped up with something weird like "I don't see that application here". I was really startled. I told her mind her own F B and turned her WiFi connection off. Jeez.

She'll be happy to have this one in the rear view and she'll do better with the next one. All she has to do is realize how Trump comes off and relax a little. People want to see her up there reminding us there's another option besides the crazy guy.

She has what it takes to do the press conferences. Too much self awareness is a problem for some people. It's too bad the press often just shells her to see what happens. What do we learn? Notthing, sometimes. That's on them. She has answers if they ask some reasonable questions.

I get really tired of the press sometimes. That sentence has been severely pre-censored.

13. zin macrumors 6502

Just so you understand, this was not a conventional press conference. Only minority reporters were allowed in and half of them were Clinton supporters applauding every non-answer. Many of the questions were loaded (i.e. to the effect of 'Donald Trump is so bad, what does that say about his supporters?' or 'Has Putin influenced Donald Trump?'). No answers at all on the other questions.

A question was posed asking why people distrust her so much; she decided to blame it on an opposition smear campaign "trying to stir up" stuff (despite lying to everybody in the conference hall on her email answer just a few minutes prior).

A question was asked as to whether the Democrats take latinos seriously or whether they just view them as political pawns who will vote Democrat regardless (likely in reference to a DNC leak that referred to latinos and hispanics as "brand loyal consumers" who must be "acquired"). In response, she told a story about watching children getting off buses with their arms wide open and talking with latinos in her church's basement.

I also noticed she had a script on her podium and frequently glanced at it during answering.

Say what you want about Donald Trump. At least he answers questions and engages with reporters, however unpopular his answers may be. All you get with Hillary is muddled lawyer-speak as if she's constantly on the defensive.

14. Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

15. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

This is wrong. Membership with the National Association of Black Journalists and the National Association of Hispanic Journalists is not limited to minorities. I've been a member of both, and I look like one of the Weasley twins.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 5, 2016 ---
    It's a sign that the other candidate has been so hilariously, distractingly awful that opinion-led media outlets like Slate have n't spent the time they normally might excoriating Clinton's answers.

That said, Clinton can do better. And, the political media needs to push harder on the need to hold press conferences.

16. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

gingers have no souls :eek:

17. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Yes, we do. We get them from drinking the blood of innocents. Duh.

18. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

When you have been attacked for over 30 years, yeah....you might get a little defensive. Imagine that. Try it sometime!

19. zin macrumors 6502

I apologise. One of the reporters said she was in a room 'full of latino reporters', or something to that effect, so I assumed what I said was right.
    Victim mentality. If she can't take the criticism then she shouldn't be running. It is hardly unwarranted criticism concerning her email server or her record on trade and foreign policy.

20. Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

Oh, Trump has been ridiculous. But Slate is pro-Hillary central, so it’s telling that they are *blank stare*.

21. iMi macrumors 6502a

iMi

On what charges exactly?

You know who should be in Jail though? Donald Trump for defrauding students with his Trump "university" and for bankrupting hundreds of independent contractors by refusing to pay them, not because he couldn't but because he wouldn't. Or maybe because he doesn't pay income taxes. Or maybe because he's been sued over 1,300 times (that should seriously be a crime).

And while you're so eager to throw politicians in prison, maybe you can round up George Bush and half of his administration for violating the Geneva Convention, for falsifying evidence and invading a sovereign nation that posed no threat to the United States or her allies, and for crimes against humanity. They are, after all, responsible for 100,000s of lives lost in the invasion of Iraq.

When you're done, try locking up the Republican Congressman responsible for Citizens United, because that law amounts to nothing less than treason. Seriously. Start pointing the finger in the right direction.

This should keep you busy for years to come.
    I can't think of anyone else more able to take criticism with as much dignity and poise as Hilary Clinton. Trump on the other hand wants to physically beat up convention speakers because they tickle him with restrained criticism. The email server has been an issue for her and she admitted as much. She cooperated with all investigations and did her best to put a positive spin on the situation, wouldn't you?

She'll be a fantastic President. She's the most pragmatic politician alive today. Plus, even Republican like her and many stated openly that few politicians can build consensus the way she does. She's exactly what we need.

22. zin macrumors 6502

There's nothing dignified in lying to your face on just about everything, especially the email server.

23. iMi macrumors 6502a

iMi

First, every politician and every person lies. She didn't lie about "everything." Look at her record as a politician. Look at the way she voted as a Senator. Look at her record as Secretary of State. The core of what she does will give you a good idea of her moral character. She's helped many people and has done a lot of good things. Go through her record and put aside Faux News propaganda for a few minutes.

Try to do the same with Trump. It's no contest.
    By the way... this entire discussion inspired me to donate to Hillary. So, I just did. Thanks for the reminder :)

24. samcraig macrumors P6

You're kidding right? Donald answers the question being asked? He certainly does not. He can't even stay on topic of focused. And that's not just my opinion. Not only have the pundits said that - but many of his fans have even said that he would fare much better if he stayed on topic.

Trump reminds me of this...

And after he's done answers... this