Hillary on southern working class white people: "Screw 'em"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yg17, Apr 16, 2008.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/04/16/hillary-clinton-on-workin_n_97017.html

This sums up my reaction to the article:

[​IMG]

2. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Telling Bill to do that to someone is hardly news. *bah dum ching*

3. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

4. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Bull****. You'd be jumping all over it and whining about how he didn't care about people and was unelectable if he said that 13 years ago.

5. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

no i wouldn't.
    for instance John McCain voted against making a MLK day a national holiday. Am I mad at him for it? no, because it was 25 years ago.

Obama sold drugs when he was 17. am i mad at him for it? no it was like 5 years ago :D

anyways this sounds like something someone would say at a time when she's really pissed off about something.

6. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

As much as I dislike Hilary, this does seem like a thing you'd say when you're pissed.

Since Hilary's still on our team, I'll hurt her some slack, now if only she'll do the same to obama!

7. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Rev. Wright was probably pissed off about something when he made his comments and you wouldn't stop complaining about it.

8. stevegmu macrumors regular

Yeah, he hates America, which is why he's always 'pissed off.' He was quite jovial and giddy, however, when he spoke of 9/11, and the "chickens coming home to roost."

9. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

So the candidate's own words mean nothing if they were said long enough ago. But someone they are associated with says something stupid, every view that the associate has is now assigned to that candidate? That doesn't strike me as ludicrous at all...:rolleyes:

I'd be more concerned about her willingness to completely write off a demographic because they did not support the candidates they wanted in an election. Do we really want a president who doesn't care about the portion of the country that didn't vote for him/her?

10. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

that is true. i know how those types of ministers can be during sermons. i go to one of those churches.
    but when did i complain about rev wright? in all honesty i never saw that as an issue other than electability. i was just saying think of what the republican attack machine could make up about him using it.

11. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

And the candidates own words about doing nothing for a large voting block because they didn't support the party won't be used against Clinton at all?

12. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I don't see it's relevance to the present but at the time she said it I would say it was a pretty accurate comment.

13. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Her comment stemmed from a general attitude or bias; why should I think she's changed? Her behavior over these years certainly has not given any such indication. Arrogance is as arrogance does...

'Rat

14. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Somehow, I don't think most any of the three care about those who won't vote for them. The bigger concern is Hillary dumping her consti'chency when they didn't fall in line in an off-year election - there was no indication of lack of Clinton support.

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Well said.

16. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Hillary doesn't care about white people!

/end parody

17. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Exactly. If anything, Clinton has only been making her attitude more apparent in her desperate attempts to appear "normal" (talking about shooting, drinking whisky :rolleyes: ).

18. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Maybe next week she'll try to shoot someone's face off?? :eek:

19. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

The article came out because she's been complaining about what Obama said about people being bitter, and being co-opted by certain types of politicians who talk about God and guns. It was stupid, and it was very poorly worded, and he said it to a San Francisco audience (which just helped the argument against him, because you know how the stereotyping works the other way), even if it was partially true. But of course McCain said something similar a few years ago too:

McCain Said It, Before He Attacked It
    McCain and Obama teams joust over the regionalism divide

As did Bill.

It's really not that controversial though. Just more of a story for the media to focus on instead of the real issues. And apparently, most would agree. And more:

Elitism for Elites
    CLASS WAR CONTINUES
    Latte Liberals and Aw, Shucks Conservatives

You know he was a marine right?

20. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

And more, for those who still want to bring up Wright:

http://www.bradblog.com/?p=5909

From someone who actually knows him.

21. Aranince macrumors 65816

Interesting point. Bagging Hilary for something when Obama did worse?

22. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

You have that backwards. We're bagging Hillary (and McCain) for bagging Obama when she (well, they) have done the same things. Sometimes not as bad. Sometimes worse. It's like the Wright thing where they both have religious leaders with their campaigns, some they sought out, and it wasn't a big deal for some reason. Or how she's complaining that he's complaining about the ABC debate, when she was just complaining about the media. Especially since so many people think the ABC debate was terrible for everyone. Same with the bitter comment. Instead of being an attack point, people were actually agreeing with it, as posted above.

No one is saying Obama is perfect, but the old meme that he's being treated well by the media is no longer valid, any more than that the media is still "liberal".

23. Desertrat macrumors newbie

I'm not interested in what Obama said or what McCain said or what any of the mediahcrities said. I've generally watched/read her own commentaries since back around the early times of Slick's first campaign. And, of course, it's hard not to give at least some credence to the more factual-appearing comments of those who've worked and served with or around her.

She comes across as arrogant. Self-centered and convinced of her own rightness on all issues. She's not a people person. She looks down on those not of her own circle. She strikes me as the type who judges even those of her own circle as to their utility to her own goals.

And that's why I find the comments believable about her attitude toward "working class white southerners". But it's not limited to southerners, as near as I can tell.

'Rat

24. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

you guys seem to have this perception that hillary is this evil, power hungry monster that only cares about getting into office and that she doens't care about anybody else in the world but herself, so she'll do anything to gain power
    :confused::confused:

edit: and that obama is this heaven sent savior who is totally selfless and who has been sent to bring world peace and that as soon as he gets in office, everyone is going to stop fighting in washington and play nicely and everything is magically going to get better

25. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

And it took you this long to figure it out? ;)