Hillary: Only Google and Apple can stop ISIS

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Dec 7, 2015.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Here we go. This is just the first step towards anti-encryption laws and government backdoors in every communications device in America, or at least proposals thereof.

It's humorous that a woman who believes you wipe a server with a cloth is making grand pronouncements about the tech industry.

Clueless.

2. vrDrew macrumors 65816

People inside the Government have been asking for backdoors into electronic devices for some time. And I think - up till now -the public has been steadfast in their rejection of the idea.

Clinton asking Google and Facebook to "disrupt" ISIL is, IMHO, a little silly. Its not the job of private companies to do work like that, even if they could. I think its reasonable to ask that companies not host jihadi recruiting websites or manage the Islamic State's cloud servers. But beyond that?

3. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

What a ****ing idiot.

Yeah, like ISIS doesn't have their own programmers.

They don't make a big enough face palm in the world for the utter ****ing stupidity of this lady's comments.

4. FieldingMellish Suspended

I'm going to ask my grandma what she thinks about tech issues. She's long since passed, but the response might prove more useful.

5. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Now this is a fascist like maneuver, for all the liberals out there.

All you great leftist hypocrits, so quick to call Trump a fascist, hold Hillary accountable.

6. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Hillary isn't even close to a leftist. She is a center-right corporatist.

7. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Is this a fascist movement/request by Hillary or not?

The answer is hell yes. Too bad the so called principled leftist in the section are really shills, and not principled at all.

8. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

What are you trying to say exactly?

9. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Hillary proposes giant multi-national corporations join with an overly intrusive federal government to monitor the private communications of American citizens. That ominous pronouncement should send danger signals to every civil libertarian in the United States.

10. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Hillary can propose whatever she wants but Cook and Schmidt are just going to tell her to pound sand.

Crypto is not going anywhere despite the clueless comments from Hillary and a bunch of other ignorant politicians. It's too vital to the structure and integrity of the Internet at this point.

The same algorithms used for encrypting things like iMessage are also used for authentication, financial transactions, etc.

11. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Hillarys expansive brilliance, proven by her audacity and acumen in hi-tech are not to be underestimated. With her as the new Grand Poobah... Well, that says it all.

:eek:

12. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Hillary is this election's main stream republican. But yeah, encryption isn't going anywhere, regardless of what these people say. Experts are aware that a back door for the government is a back door for everyone.

13. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

They'll probably say that publicly while complying behind the scenes. If we want to hurt ISIS recruiting rather than making things less secure for everyone we should just cut off Syria's access to the internet. It might harm some of the terrorists on our side, but it'll do a lot more to stop ISIS than anything else we could do right now.

14. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Yawn. The very reason politics is so broken in the US is this colloquial left vs right culture wars mentality. You are more interested in spinning topics to insult the other team than you are to actually improve things. Nothing will improve under these circumstances. You are part of the problem with US politics.

LOL that you have brought into politics so hard that you are offended someone irrelevant called trump a fascist.

15. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

They aren't going to comply behind the scenes because that would be impossible. People would find out and it would destroy any trust their customers put in their companies, and it would do massive harm to their bottom line.

On top of that, it would put American companies at a major disadvantage in the world tech market. Goodbye Silicon Valley as a world tech leader if thats the case. Nobody in any other country is going to buy an American tech product if it has known and deliberate security flaws.

A "backdoor" for the government is nothing but a security flaw rogue governments, identity thieves, and other hackers can exploit.

This is all moot though. Encryption isn't going anywhere. People who think that Apple and Google can magically do this don't understand how the tech community and open source software work. The tech community isn't just some big companies in Silicon Valley. It's millions of people in academia, national labs, and just plain-old computer nerds who are contributing to tons of different free software projects. There are tons of free, open sourced crypto solutions out there and have been for a couple decades now. The cat's out of the bag and it's not going back in.

16. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

From the leaks that Snowden did it appears that a lot of the tech companies were quietly complying with the government. There is a chance that they might get caught with a leak, but they will decide that they are better off complying with the government and risking that than they are having the government go after them for not complying.

17. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Some were before the Snowden leaks and backlash. But, if I remember correctly, that involved some companies sharing metadata, not building in security flaws to their crypto.

But I think they also learned from that backlash. That was one of the reasons Apple and Google started shipping iOS and Android with encryption enabled by default last year.

18. dec. Suspended

dec.

19. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Kudos, very well said!

20. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

[​IMG]

That was pretty good tap dancing, Australian...

Now how about a little less...

[​IMG]

Hillary Clinton has put forth an idea that exactly matches what one would call fascism. Oh liberals, come out come out, wherever you are.

21. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

You still don't get it. Hillary, Obama, Trump etc are all muppets. None have your best interests at heart. You've been sold and swallowed the culture wars nonsense they propagate. The more you carry on about such superficial distractions and childishly bicker the more they get away with their BS. You are being played. Stop being so gullible.

22. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Actually, you're the one being suckered, because you're wasting your time talking about American politicians, Australian. I've at least got skin in the game, and notice I don't give a rats ass about the Kangaroos and Koalas.

And I'm not a member of the GOP or DNC. This is all entertainment conversation to me. I'm a GS federal employee. I know what the deal is. I see it from the inside daily.

23. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Haha nonsense. You are one of the worst culture warriors here. Look at the personal offence you took at someone calling trump a fascist! You even carried it over to other threads. It is hilarious that it got under your skin :D!

As I said this is the problem with US politics. Morons bickering over which team is the most fascist whilst your politicians screw you over. All the while your country further deteriorates. Good job.

24. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

And moron shills half way around the world that think they have a clue. Don't forget those guys. Guys that think loons off their meds are "christian terrorists". You know, those people...