Hillary Says "Only I Can End War"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by stevento, Mar 18, 2008.

1. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/03/17/clinton.war/index.html

She says "obama did not work to end war until he started running for president"

now i know what you guys think "i hate hillary she voted for it" and you're right. but its not like we can turn back the clock. she only voted one time in favor of authorizing the war. ever since then she worked to stop it. unlike barack who gave some great speeches about it.
    thoughts?

2. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Only Tom Cruise can really help accident victims, and only you can prevent forest fires.

3. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I think that it pretty much sums it up. :)

Also, it indicates how desperate she is getting.

4. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

lol, this is going to be good.

WRONG
    . Sen. Barack Obama introduced the Iraq War De-Escalation Act of 2007 (S110-433) in January 2007, a month after the Iraq Study Group report came out which his bill was based on. If this bill would have passed and became law, the final combat troops would be coming home in two weeks. He didn't decide to run for President until February 10, 2007.

Yeah, you can't turn back the clock. But you also can't brush that away like it's no big deal. That was a HUGE mistake. The worst foreign policy decision this country has made in over 20 years. You need to have a President who has the foresight to see when things are smart and dumb, and Obama made the smart decision about the war, while Hillary made the dumb one.

Oh, and I also don't want to hear any excuses about her not knowing exactly what she was voting for. The bill was called the "Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Iraq Resolution of 2002." You can't be more blunt than that.

You know, I searched through her Senate resume and I can't find one instance of her introducing legislation or proposing anything to try to bring and end to the war. So if she has "worked to stop it", then can you give me a specific instance (two would be even better) of where she has done this?

yep, hillary hasn't done **** to stop the war and she can't give good speeches either. THE DOUBLE NEGATIVE!

I'd really like to see you actually read and reply to everything in my post, instead of just ignoring most of it like you normally do.

5. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Pacifism is the last refuge of the scoundrel.

7. Qoxiivi macrumors regular

Qoxiivi

Nah, the last refuge of the scoundrel is a pub near where I live called The Mayfair. Its external decor is a welcoming mixture of broken glass, piss stains and blacked-out windows.

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Can't really say much more than this about Clinton's latest insult to our intelligence.

9. stevento thread starter macrumors 6502

stevento

i think that counts as during the campaign. he already had his exploratory committee

10. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

I've never been to Essex.

11. Qoxiivi macrumors regular

Qoxiivi

It's in Tooting actually. I've been to Essex. Once. It was upsetting.

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Verging on the Nixonian.

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

She also voted for the Kyl/Lieberman Amendment which is the next logical step towards war with Iran.

14. geese macrumors 6502a

geese

Hey- North Essex (where i'm from) is alright. Its the plebs south of the A12 that are the great unwashed.

Theres a great Sri Lankan cafe in Tooting whose name escapes me at the mo. Care to elighten me?

15. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

The flaw in your argument is two-fold.

1) Hillary's "work to stop the war" consists primarily of giving speeches about how she will stop the war if elected.
    2) Barack's speeches about how he is going to stop the war if he is elected also qualify as "working to stop the war."

You are simply making a false comparison by thinking that there is a difference. You are implying that Hillary is actually over in Iraq swiping guns out of the Marines hands and that Barack is "all talk."

Since this exact spin on things is one of the Hillary campaign's main talking points and since the flaw is so obvious, I can only assume you are:

a) mentally "limited" in some way
    b) just trolling and not really interested in an answer

16. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

I hope the thread title is not a direct quote, because a statement like that really begs to be followed up by the unveiling of a doomsday device, or at least a brilliant new artificially intelligent supercomputer that will be given full command of worldwide U.S. military resources, and will in no way run amok and start killing people for being illogical and belligerent.

17. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

It isn't. According to the article, she said:

Not that there's much difference between her words and the headline summary. It certainly remains unclear how her political speeches about ending the war are superior his political speeches about ending the war.

18. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Yes he had an exploratory committee, but he hadn't decided if he was going to run yet.

Is this all you're going to say about my post?

I guess you can't name a specific instance where Hillary "has worked to end the war", even though you said she has.

19. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

She is bought and paid for just as Bush is, plus she has voted for the Iraq war and a Iran war. Just as the Military industrial complex would like. Obama is the only one to get us out.

20. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Ugh, I am liking Hillary less and less. It's all about Obama... not to mention that I think the republicans will tear Hillary up if she gets into Office... it would be an ugly scene.

21. stevegmu macrumors regular

22. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

23. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

The one the administration is trying to start that Hillary voted on the resolution for, as noted above. I wonder why though, of all the posts to quote, you chose DHMs? You do know he used to be a Republican right? Why do you think he's so angry? I don't think anyone here can blame him. I'm just guessing here, but I think he meant that Obama seems to be the only one who might actually end the war, vs Hillary who just talks about it then backtracks after voting for it in the first place, and McCain who seems to want to keep us there. Please correct me if I'm wrong DHM.

As for the OP, didn't Hillary just backtrack after saying she'd get the troops out within 16 months? She's just talking about it too, and worse than Obama, can't even nail down which talking point she's going to use at any given time or show any proof she actually is trying to stop it. At least Obama's rhetoric is consistent. And he can point to at least pushing legislation, as noted above, even if it had no chance of passing unfortunately. We're going to have to leave Iraq eventually, I'd hope, and I don't know who to trust with that, but I can't say I trust Hillary with it.