Hillary's new reason for not dropping out: RFK was assassinated in June

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yg17, May 23, 2008.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2008/5/23/155636/683/322/521393

Completely disgusting and unforgivable. I know a certain member here will try to defend her and spin this, but this sort of comment cannot be legitimately defended or spun.

2. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

Don't be so quick to endorse, superdelegates! You never know when someone might take him out. It's not over till he survives the campaign process.

Well, I guess when the logic and math of voting fails you one has to look for other paths to the nomination...

Deplorable.

3. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

anytime hillary does something slightly underhanded, all you guys immediately say "what an awful woman." remember when john kerry said "get an education, or go to iraq?"

4. archesdevil macrumors 6502

archesdevil

I have long thought Hilary would do anything to become President. I was joking around a few weeks ago at work saying that if she became Vice-President, she would have Obama assassinated so she could be President.

Not so funny now.

5. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

This is exactly the point. Everyone has or will say something they would later regret. I for one am glad I usually only have one person upset with me rather than millions of people.

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

But possibly true.

7. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

1) Kerry being a an idiot in NO way allows Clinton to say something like this.

2) Kerry's statement was clearly aimed at Bush, and was about a political move. Clinton's was aimed at Obama(a "team mate") and was based on him being shot, and killed.

8. archesdevil macrumors 6502

archesdevil

The irony is, she has stayed in waiting for him to screw up...

Hopefully, this will end it once and for all.....GET OUT!!!!

9. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Yup, that comment is just like suggesting prudence in case of assasination. Totally the same thing.

Also, Kerry is totally relevant here. It's not at all like defending criticism of President Bush by bringing up President Clinton. No sir. Totally not a red herring in the slightest.

10. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Sorry, but someone's going to need to explain the controversy to me.

It's clear that she was referencing to the assassination to support her point with the fact the Robert Kennedy was still campaigning in June, just like her husband.

What's the problem? :confused:

11. macfan881 macrumors 68020

i think its insulting and wrong to mention or compare politics and assasination especailly the fact that obomma has goten more secret service for the death threats that that he is goten its just in bad taste and to mention RFK so soon after what happen to ted kennedy i think what Im upset over and thousands of other people are upset about. and i really hope The DNC do something about this as well.

12. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

"My husband did not wrap up the nomination in 1992 until he won the California primary somewhere in the middle of June, right? We all remember Bobby Kennedy was assassinated in June in California. I don't understand it." - Hilary Clinton

When asked why she hasn't dropped out yet.

13. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

It could have been phrased better. At first blush it sounds as if she is saying, "I better stay in the race, because as RFK shows, my opponent could get shot between now and then."

14. archesdevil macrumors 6502

archesdevil

It is extremely poor taste just to bring it up. Not to mention what RFK's younger brother is now going through.

15. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I see the problem now. I interpreted it exactly as she meant it to be interpreted, apparently, as in "Bobby Kennedy was still wrapping up his nomination in June, just like my husband." Interesting how the alternative interpretation never occurred to me.

In cases like these I think it's important to give the candidate the benefit of the doubt and interpret a comment the way in which it was most likely meant to be interpreted, not the way in which we'd like to interpret it.

16. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

I agree completely, and it didn't take more than a moment to process what she was actually saying, but there was that momentary "say what?!"

Alluding to the historical assassination of a candidate during a campaign was just not a good idea. I would not go so far as to call it a campaign-ender much less a career-ender, but it was an unfortunate choice.

17. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

She said:
    "My husband did not wrap up the nomination in 1992 until he won the California primary somewhere in the middle of June, right? We all remember Bobby Kennedy was assassinated in June in California. I don't understand it."

What is hard to understand about that? She's giving two reasons why she shouldn't quit. Reason #1: Her husband didn't have the nomination till June and won. Reason #2: Bobby Kennedy was assassinated in June and another person had to take his place.

She's implying that Barack Obama could be assassinated and she needs to be around just in case.

This woman has no conscience.

18. Marble macrumors 6502a

Marble

Of the all examples of primaries decided at conventions she uses this one. Not to mention pointing out that Kennedy was assassinated has nothing to do with her supposed point.

Those things said, I can't believe she actually meant that Obama might get assassinated. This sounds like a stupid slip up to me.

19. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

That may be your interpretation of her comment, but it was certainly never implied.

Not only does the context of her other comment place the comment regarding Robert Kennedy in the proper regard, but this is backed by the historical situation of the referenced event as well. The situation of the democratic party nomination in 1968 was the opposite of what you're suggesting. Robert Kennedy, like Hillary, was trailing behind in the polls, with Hubert Humphrey in the lead; however, the win in California in June for Kennedy marked a significant boost for his campaign. If Hillary's comment was intended as you suggest, Humphrey would have been assassinated, with Robert Kennedy taking his place; clearly, that was not how the events unfolded.

Certainly, the historical situation implies exactly as I suggested: Hillary, using Robert Kennedy as an example, was defending her position to stay in the race, claiming that Kennedy still had a chance at the Presidency in June despite falling behind from the lead candidate. The assassination was only mentioned because it's the reason why we remember the date of the California primary 30 years ago.

Interpreting this comment as you have chosen beyond an initial knee jerk reaction simply isn't defendable; doing so would be a result solely of political prejudice.

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Tell me, when that phone rings in the White House at 3am, do you really want someone answering it who could be quite so careless with her words?

21. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

i dont remember hillary saying that obama would/could be shot or killed during the election process. could you please point me to that part of the video?

Why don't you let her explain herself by watching this video:
    http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=4921336

edit: RFK Jr.: "No one should be offended."
    blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/05/rfk-jr-says-no.html

22. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

It was a stupid stupid comment....you know exactly what people are seeing in this.

I saw RFK Jr comments, and they were fine. But that doesn't make this comment any better. And we can't have someone going around saying stupid stuff like this in Nov, I can't even consider supporting Clinton over Obama.

PS: If Obama had said this, you'd be all over it. Don't try and act like this was a smart move. Admit it was stupid, and move on.

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

That's the best you can do? She is an awful person. You can't possibly defend what she said, so this is what you come up with? This wasn't slightly underhanded, it was EVIL. And you still want her to be President? I question your motives. She has sunk herself with this one.

24. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    You're swimming in tar here, and you should realize it. Her statement was no more and no less than "unfortunate". Just a single word. Unfortunate. Not "hateful" or "evil" or "acceptable" or "innocent".

Now, Olberman has a lot of bluster, but this snippet puts it into context. Listen to it. She's used this comparison before... toned it down after the first use, but like others have said, there are plenty of other examples she could have made without throwing around the word "assassinated" in an environment where political tensions are high. Olberman commented on Dukakis and some others.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/24798130#24798368

Given Ted Kennediy's recent problems, and that it is now TWO WEEKS from the anniversary of that assasination, its more than a little "tone deaf". It's not simply an opinion, its just a fact. Obama has had plenty of flack over the slightest issues from "you're likeable enough", to "sweetie", to Michelle's "proud in my adult life".

~ CB

25. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

I heart Olbermann.

Come on, if this isn't reason enough to at least "suspend" her campaign, what's it gonna take? Secret Service having to tackle her off Obama or McCain's inauguration podium?

Her words were disgusting. Not anyone else's - hers. Come on Hil, it's time.