Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vbman213

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
Okay...

Over the past year, My MBP has been plagued with a popping hinge. In particular, the right hinge. It was so bad that I could feel the "pop" resonant through the top case and it felt really abnormal...

After a failed attempt at resolution at a AASP, I finally got fed up and took the liberty to fix the damn thing myself...

Sorry, I was so eager to get my machine put back together that I completely forgot to take pictures :/

So I will use pictures from ifixit to explain...

1) Remove bottom case using appropriate #00 philips driver

2) Locate the offending hinge:
vz8mj6.png

3) Remove necessary hardware to remove this particular piece:
1pwdcn.png

4) Take a small, thin piece of electrical tape (I had some black vinyl electrical tape lying around) and wrap about two layers around the "nose" of this piece. Wrap the tape around the "green box" making sure to cover up the tip edge of this piece.

5) Reinstall everything...

Essentially here is what happens...

Over time, the mesh that covers up airport/bluetooth/facetime cables begins to wear down due to constant abrasion against the sharp edge of the piece indicated above... The mesh begins to tear and begins to snag, which causes a loud "pop". Even barely moving, pressing on the top case, etc. can cause this bunch of wires to violently snap back into place. I.E. causing the audible snap sound...

I have been running this "mod" for over 5 hours now and no more popping!

=)

accessoriesguy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
wow, i never knew of that but thanks for the tip. so by popping you mean it popping out or it would like make a sound when you would open and close the MBP?

vbman213

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
Many owners have experienced popping, cracking noises when opening and closing their screen Although there could be other problems, this could be a potential fix for some

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.