Hints of Vodafone as official carrier, on 1.1.4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iSamurai, Mar 2, 2008.

1. iSamurai macrumors 65816

iSamurai

Hello,

this is one of my newest discoveries that I'd like to share:

Vodafone could just as well be the next official iPhone carrier after AT&T, O2-UK, Orange and T-Mobile.

My reason? On 1.1.1, 1.1.2, 1.1.3 if you have Make It Mine - to change the carrier name on an AT&T iPhone - you'll probably find that T-Mobile and Vodafone will not show up completely and they'll scroll for a few times, then displayed as "Voda...".

But on 1.1.4 you use Make It Mine and change from AT&T to Vodafone, you'll get it to fit perfectly, while South Africa's "Vodacom" (1 letter less than Vodafone) does not fit perfectly at all.

This is just one of my thesis that has deduced from random discoveries. And to apply this, Vodafone isn't gonna be launching any iPhones soon, but if you remember there's a rumour a while back stating that Vodafone may be the "official 3G iPhone carrier" for Europe.

BTW, MIM currently doesn't work on 1.1.4. you'll need to install the 1.1.4 installer compatibility app to make installer "think" that it's on 1.1.3.

2. Ninja Dom macrumors 6502

Ninja Dom

Nice discovery, honourable Samurai.

Unfortunately this isn't going to be the case anytime soon in the UK. I work for Vodafone, you see. We've got no plans at this moment to release the iPhone in the UK in the short-term future.

Still, it doesn't mean that it won't happen. Or it doesn't mean that another region of Vodafone in another country won't release the iPhone.

3. iSamurai thread starter macrumors 65816

iSamurai

hey, we meet again, stealthy ninja :p

http://www.engadget.com/2007/11/20/vodafone-to-have-exclusive-rights-to-3g-iphone-in-q1/

well, according to that out-dated post (and of course 3G isn't gonna be out in Q1) that Vodafone may just be out for europe. Ach, but we'll see what apple says when the 3G iPhone is launched.

I highly disagree that it will be out anytime soon - especially on 1.1.4 with 3G iphone on Vodafone, but this patch for the carrier name could be that apple's getting ready.

There's still a long way until H1/Q3, so there's still quite a bit of speculation. You work for Vodafone... nice. But dont they keep the CEO and Steve's discussion private... or unless you are the CEO :eek:

4. Ninja Dom macrumors 6502

Ninja Dom

No, I'm nowhere near being a CEO.

Nothing planned as far as the iPhone is concerned regarding Vodafone UK, as far as I'm aware.

But it's not impossible. Unlikely anytime soon, but not impossible.

5. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

Hang on, don't they have a multi year tie in with 02?

6. iSamurai thread starter macrumors 65816

iSamurai

yeah, with the "iPhone", but not "3g iPhone", according to engadget... Ach... Perhaps not in uk, but probably else where for the 3g iPhone that should be for global launch and more plans.