Hispanics Realty Inc

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MACDRIVE, Dec 13, 2007.

1. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I saw "Hispanics Realty" plastered on the side of a flashy yellow Hummer H2 last night while driving in traffic. I was kind of taken aback by the sight of the business name. I don't suppose "Caucasian Realty" would go over too well though. :cool:

http://www.hispanicsrealty.com/

2. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

I think that Hispanic Realty is a needed service. Anytime people of a certain ethnicity gather to live together in a community, they work to provide the services needed for them to succeed. Hispanics in this area obviously felt that the other realtors did not provide what the hispanic population needed so they found themselves a niche where they could provide good customer service and focus on the needs of hispanics.

3. pdham macrumors member

Are you trying to make a point about this being a double standard? For a long time, and in some instances still, there was a "Caucasion Realty." It was called the real estate industry.

4. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

5. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

6. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Well, sure there's a double standard in the political correctness game.

If there's a Black Entertainment Channel, what's wrong with a White Entertainment Channel?

If there's a Congressional Black Caucus, what's wrong with a Congressional White Caucus?

College funds? And on and on and on.

I don't object to any ethnic group's deal. "Hispanics Realty" as a company name? Fine by me. But, there'd probably be an uproar if I got into the real estate business as "Gringo Realty". I find it hypocritical to allow folks to get away with the idea that ONLY whites can be racist--particularly when politicos cater to "La Raza".

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Majorities, by nature, don't need to be catered to. They already are. Minorities may not have as many options, so if someone sees a market to cater to them, why not. If there was a large Dutch population, and the local realtors not only didn't cater to them or speak the language they're more comfortable with, they outright excluded them, if another company can provide that service, what's the problem? If they can't get enough business, I'm sure they'll branch out. And I'm sure, technically, they would have to because otherwise it would be discrimination. As this place does, if you had read their web page, which is in English BTW, it clearly says "We are Hispanics Realty, not Hispanics Only Realty". :rolleyes:

Why the persecution complex?

8. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Here you go rat. Even you can buy a house without feeling marginalised;

http://www.whiterealtyproperties.com/
    http://www.white-realty.com/
    http://www.whiterealty.com/whiterealty/
    http://www.gustavewhite.com/
    http://www.burrwhite.com/

and an Australian holiday house;
    http://www.raywhite.com/

;).

9. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I think the business name sends a message saying "only hispanics need apply." :cool:

10. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

This sounds like a chain e-mail from the 90s. Or a bad standup bit from the same era, when making fun of political correctness was in vogue.

Some people are cognizant of and sometimes proud of their heritage or origins and feel a sense of community based on that. There is no White Entertainment channel because "white" isn't a common heritage shared by caucasians. Plenty of religious-based organizations do represent caucasian majorities, though, and there's not a peep of protest about their businesses and organizations. Nor do you hear protests about business catering to Russian or Chinese or Vietnamese immigrants.

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

This is a topic that is somewhat close to me. As the sub prime mortgage industry continues to meltdown more and more people are coming out of the woodwork claiming they were frauded or mislead by the mortgage lender. Often at times the race card is played to such extents that you'd have to wonder if the same guy advertising "Hispanics Realty" is driving a second Hummer that says "Hispanics Real Estate Attorney." The problem is certain races were indeed targeted but the people targeting these races were usually Hispanics themselves. I'm not saying this is bad though I will say that in my line of work it was pretty evident that the person drumming up business and basically putting their clients into the worst possible loans ever were also Hispanic. I don't think it is about race, rather I think it's about people taking advantage of very hard working individuals who want nothing more than to own a home. I certainly empathize with that.

During the course of the industry shift it has been brought up that higher YSPs (yield spread premiums) were paid depending upon the race of the borrower. This is against every federally mandated law out there primarily the Fair Housing Credit Act. I can't comment on whether or not that is true but recent facts presented by an attorney to my company certainly made the presumption look quite correct. Then again this is data collected by an outsider and it would take an insider to collect more appropriate data so that they can analyze whether or not that is true.

I won't say that certain groups aren't targeted though. I've seen it first hand and have had my hand on enough information to intelligently say that it happens and it continues to happen even while times are incredibly rough.

That said, is there a need to run a shop called "Hispanics Realty"? There should not be. I think giving the designation that they speak Spanish is helpful because customers want only to be comfortable where they shop and that includes when buying a home loan. If you run with the attitude that you will only buy a home from a Hispanic with a loan originated by a Hispanic and a lender owned by a Hispanic then chances are you have bigger issues than feeling like the race card was being played.

Actually you're half right. It was not called the "real estate industry" it was called PRIME Mortgage. In other words Prime = high credit scores, lower rates, good jobs, and low debt. Sub-prime is for everything else.