Hiss when playing music on 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Pmxbass, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Pmxbass macrumors newbie

I've been getting a constant hiss when playing music through car speakers with my iPhone 4S, this is my first iPhone so I don't know if its common, its a bit less if i turn the volume on the phone to half then crank up the car audio but its still there and very annoying. I didn't have any at all on my old sony mp3 player. In both instances the devices are connected through the headphone jack into the sound system's auxiliary input.

Any ideas anyone on how to get rid of it or is this something that'll always be there?

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Is the phone running on its own power or through a cigarette power cord? If powered externally, check to see if it does it without the power cord - could be a ground loop.

3. psykick5 macrumors 6502

It means you're using a crappy cord. The same thing happens on MacBook Pros when you use some crappy headphones.

4. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

You don't have a BMW do you? I have heard many complaints about the 4S and the background noise on BMW's. Try another quality cable.

5. erasr macrumors 6502

I get the same. Got a BMW.

I read that someone had tried different cables but made no difference. I think it's probably a hardware fault which can be fixed in the next update.

6. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Send feedback to Apple. How bad is the hiss? Can you hear it during the entire track or just at the quiet parts? Does the hiss change with engine RMP's?

7. Pmxbass thread starter macrumors newbie

It hisses whether the phone is charging or not at the same time. I'll try another cord but i doubt thats the problem as its the same cord i used with the old mp3 player and didn't have that problem. I've got that problem in two different cars, none of them being BMW's :)

Does anyone else thinks this may be a hardware problem or do most people not have this problem?