History of price reductions in older generation models after "updates"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mjschranz, Jan 27, 2010.

1. mjschranz macrumors newbie

mjschranz

Like everyone it seems, I'm trying to wait as long as possible for the updates to the current MBP line, but for the opposite reason. I'm hoping to see a decent price drop on the current models to hopefully snatch a good deal.

I know I know, "If you need it, just buy it!". Unfortunately I can't say I have a lot of money floating around as a student and technically my Mid 2006 Macbook still works like a champ, it's just a bit slow. The current models specs are more than enough for what I need so I'm not worried about whatever the new ones wind up being in all honesty.

So my question is, Is there any sort of history with the MBP updates that reduces the cost of the previous version a fair bit?

Thanks!

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

When the Unibody models came out in 10/2008, the 15" "classics" were available for like $1699 at Apple stores in CA (new 15" was $1999).

You can get a refurbished previous generation model even cheaper if you look that way as well.

3. butterfly0fdoom macrumors 6502a

We had the 15" classic MBP going for $1299 about a month after the Unibodies were released; the price just kept drifting downwards from the original $2299 (I work in an school bookstore). But for speed bumps, it's maybe $100 off?

4. mjschranz thread starter macrumors newbie

mjschranz

I've definitely been looking at some of the refurbished models, most specifically a refurbished current gen Macbook. I figure if I buy it as is I can save some good money and then later in the year when I have more cash I could buy that applecare and then more ram and a larger hard drive for it.