History of prices on "clearance" iPhones?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by randy98mtu, Aug 12, 2013.

1. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

What has happened in past years for clearing out remaining inventory of phones that will no longer be sold through Apple? Say the 5S doesn't thrill, how much would one pay for an iPhone 5 64 GB on contract? Can't still be $399. Do they sell them for $199 or do they recall them all and use them for warranty replacement?

2. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

usually $100 cheaper than the current model after the new one is released

3. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Well they still sell the old model, the 4s so just check out that pricing local to you. Chances are thats what the 5 will sell for when it's launched.

4. jent macrumors 6502a

jent

Spot-on, but I should note that they often create a low-capacity version of the older models that is lower than any of the available capacities when they were the newest version. The iPhone 4 is currently available only as an 8GB phone but was released in 16GB and 32GB models.

5. randy98mtu thread starter macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

I know they usually do the lower cost lowest capacity model. I was more interested in what they do with existing stock of 64 gig models. $100 off isn't bad. Not enough to sway me though. If the difference is just $100, I'd rather get the 5S (assuming they don't somehow ruin what the 5 already is.)

I don't care about the fingerprint deal or the camera specs that much. So if all I'd be getting is a faster processor, I'd just get a 5 if the price difference was worth it. Meh, I'll have to wait until September 11th I guess. ;)

6. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

An option I took was to watch Best Buy's open box deals for iPhone 5(s) that have been returned to the store and are being sold at a discount. The price they show online is the unsubsidized price, but you still get a big discount on 2 year contract.

For example: I bought my white iPhone 5 64gb from Best Buy last October, got to check it out before buying and rested on the fact that it still had a 1 year apple warranty!

I got a steep discount and they billed it out to me for $199.00 on a 2 year contract, so I saved $200 up front!

7. Dented macrumors 6502a

Something different is (probably) happening this year with the introduction of a new "budget" plastic model as well as the new 5S or whatever they call the ip5 replacement - so we may not see the 5 being sold off that cheaply if at all. It may be that they just put the new flagship phone at more of a premium, sell the remaining 5's at more or less the current price, and let the plastic model clean up in the lower price point.

I wouldn't count on there being piles of unsold 5's - Apple are pretty good at keeping control of supply, winding stocks down gently and avoiding that kind of fire sale.