HIT & RUN BLOG Here's What Congress Was Doing While You Were Watching the Kavanaugh Circus

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by RootBeerMan, Sep 28, 2018.

1. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

While everyone was busy watching the lunacy in the Kavanaugh rubber stamping, the rest of the Senate and the House were being busy little beavers. They passed an $853 billion spending bill (discussed here, for anyone who has an interest in the debt), that is going to drive us farther into debt and enrich the military industrial complex. And the Republicans over in the House passed Tax Reform 2.0 to enshrine their previous tax cuts and blow up the deficit, (to the tune of $631 billion added over the next decade). It's funny what they can get away with when they distract people with circuses.

https://reason.com/blog/2018/09/28/while-you-were-watching-kavanaugh-congre

2. blackfox Suspended

blackfox

So don't vote Republican. Yeah, Democrats spend beyond our means too, but on useful things (mostly). If I was a traditional Conservative i'd be pretty upset right now, because your party has gone morally and ideologically bankrupt.

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The public sector can be pretty bad at delivering results to be fair.

4. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

People under 50, maybe even under 55, are sure going to regret it when they're ready to retire and all their social security and medicare are gone.

5. RootBeerMan thread starter macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

Well, that's something I never do, anyway. Don't vote for Democrats, either. I cannot abide thieves or the incompetent. As for Democrats spending on "useful" things, we will certainly have to disagree. Much of what they spend on is to buy votes from those who benefit from their redistributive policies. They also have a long history of funding the war machine and being in bed with Wall Street. Neither wing of the Boot On Your Neck Party have any interest in the people of the United States. Their only care is votes, money and pleasing their benefactors. And a note: the Republicans are not "my party". My party is far from bankrupt and adheres to principle, individual morality and ethics and an idealogy that supports freedom and the rights of the individual. Something the others do not.

6. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Liberals and conservatives are smart enough to know that average people don’t have the means or the discipline to save for a livable retirement. The difference between the two groups is that one group cares and the other does not.

7. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

And our children and grand-children will not get the benefits that we do, because the government will have squandered it all.

8. raqball macrumors 68000

Then teach them to save for their own retirement and not rely on the government for it... Yeah i know, Bernie promised free stuff for everyone.... But hey, Obama phones are still out there for the grabbing....

9. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

They're all saving, but if the government is taking money out of each paycheck for SS and Medicare, when the time comes, they'd better get their money back.

10. RootBeerMan thread starter macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

They should get all their money back, but it won't happen. The people running things have already spent it all. The money they are currently taking from all of us is just to keep things afloat. SS is doomed and already far down the road to insolvency. If the government had our best interests in mind they'd just stop taking our money and let us invest it for ourselves. They're not going to be able to anything substantial to fix the mess they made. Best to quit while they're behind.

https://www.fool.com/retirement/2017/04/21/social-securitys-rate-of-return-on-its-28-trillion.aspx

11. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Then maybe... the government should stop taking money out of paychecks for SS and Medicare.

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

And then what about people who have already retired?

13. RootBeerMan thread starter macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

The government would have to fund them using general fund tax dollars, until they die. While the tax payers would still bear the burden, the funding from the general fund should come from cuts to government spending and some small savings from dissolving most of the SS admin.

14. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Reference post 6.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 29, 2018 ---
    Agreed. :(

15. raqball macrumors 68000

So the government should pay because people are irresponsible and want a new iPhone every year instead of saving for their own retirement?

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I think that’s a pretty gross generalisation.

17. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

I already said, many don’t have the means or the disclipline. You know how much it takes to live on a retirement, I presume.

We known for years, children of friends who are now adults had enough money for rent or health insurance, not both. And retirement, not a chance. Now this can be argued as something that adds or subtracts to the stability of our society as a whole. As the percentages of have-nots grow large enough, there will be serious issues ahead.

The very real problem is the GOP who love welfare for the wealthy, farmers, corporations, but don’t give a damn about children growing up in poverty. We>Me or Me>We, what’s it going to be?

18. bambooshots macrumors 65816

bambooshots

19. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

Social Security was always a system where the funds were diverted back to the general fund. Spent each year by government to help grow America.

Everyone has benefited from it, and it's not going anywhere, not now, not 100 years from now. If and when it becomes insolvent they'll just have to raise the tax on those incomes over the max contribution amount.

Tax 'em where they aint won't work.

Just like everyone has benefited from the debt and deficit.

20. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Agree here. Democrats piss away money on extremely suspect things like handouts which secure votes. It’s actually sad that they enslave these people by throwing them just enough of a bone to keep them happy while they live like kings and queens. Of course, the democrats also piss away money on public employees, the bloated and inefficient education system and lost of other sinkholes.

Yes, repulsive waste money too. No kidding. But let’s not pretend the democrats are smart with other people’s money. They certainly aren’t.

21. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

I wonder if #45 has deal:
    "I will sign R's spending bill if BK gets appointed to SCOTUS".

22. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502a

Bug-Creator

Ah, replacing one taxation with another, great solution!

O.k. were to cut 100,000,000,000$ or so without creating massive problems?

How much of that admin is really just the cost of paying out (read won't change with your plan).

The truth is that systems like SS can never really go bankrupt unless meddled with.
    Sure you'd need to adapt payout and taxation to demographic changes or employment rates (which might be unpopular) and sure you might even end up with a negative ROI for some.

But they never were supposed to be an investment, they should be seen as a safeguard. Anything put into a private bank can be lost (see 2006 crisis) or be eaten off by inflation, but a properly run SS-like system will make sure that you will end up with retirement benefits that are actually worth something.