Hitachi 500GB 7200RPM compatible with 13" MBP Unibody or not???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 617media, Apr 20, 2010.

1. 617media macrumors member

I ordered this drive then ended up reading something that is making me worry.....

can anyone tell me just straight up, if it is compatible with it or not?

Thank you

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What and where have you read it?

Any 2.5" S-ATA HDD is compatible with the Unibody MacBook Pros, be it 9.5mm or 12.5mm high.

3. 617media thread starter macrumors member

No like i mean it fits fine physically... I just read somewhere that it didn't run the system well or format to OSX ? idk i forget where it was for forgot to bookmark it

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You can use MRoogle to search for user experience threads about the HITACHI Travelstar 7K500 500GB HDD 7200rpm, if that is the HDD you talk about.

5. breathesrain macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure that's the same 7200 RPM 500GB drive some MBPs ship with. And if not, they did use it recently. So it's good.

6. 617media thread starter macrumors member

yeah turns out it's compatible... sorry for being a retard

I just now have to figure out how to get it installed with 10.6 and then transfer all my data from my old mac.

I have it booted in an external enclousure partitioned as an external HD right now.

I think if I install it inside my MBP, boot with a 10.6 disk and then format again, then install 10.6 then use Migration assistant or time machine it should work.

One last question, I tried using my sister's 10.6 snow leap disk from her regular white macbook and it didn't seem to work. Is there any reason for this?

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yep, those restore DVDs are machine specific, so not usable with any other Mac except the exact model they came with.

8. neteng101 macrumors 65816

Just partition the new disk with Disk Utility and the use Carbon Copy Cloner...

http://www.bombich.com/

No need to reinstall/etc. Swap drives and done!