Hitachi unveil 6.6" Hi Res display. 4:3 300Dpi

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MRU, Oct 6, 2010.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Still highly doubt we will see this in an ipad any time soon, but the 4:3 ratio and the size would lend themselves to a 7" ipad (well a 6.6" ipad).

However I imagine the cost of these panels is beyond any reasonable pricing framework that could work in an ipad for a good while yet.

2. WLS macrumors 65816

3. SteveKnobs macrumors 6502

Agreed. These things are way too expensive to be used probably even within the next 2-3 years. Apple NEEDS to keep the price at that $500 or so price level (at least for now). It would be nice though to have one...

4. WLS macrumors 65816

It just happens to have the same aspect ratio as the iPad - coincidence?
    I don't see any mention of price yet you are assuming it will be too expensive.
    I don't expect these screens to be cheap but it is a 6.6 inch screen not a 10 inch one - they would not be making these panels if they did not think they could find a buyer for them.

5. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

1) Yes I think just a co-incidence at this stage. They've been making 4:3 panels for years you know ;)

2) Yes we are assuming it will be prohibitively expensive. The very edge of cutting technology always is.

3) A 6.6" super high res screen will cost more than a 9.7" IPS panel, even if we are unsure by what margin. Manufacturing panels of such calibre is also very expensive due to yield ratio. That would make a smaller iPad more expensive to produce, and accordingly more expensive at retail than the 9.7" model. Apple 'if' they produce a smaller ipad will need to undercut the 9.7" pricing point or at minimum match it. With more expensive component's that is unlikely to happen.

6. hcho3 macrumors 68030

I hardly find how this relates to iPad news...

Are you fools still hoping that we will see 300 ppi on next iPad?
    You are all hopeless...

7. Coukos34 macrumors 6502

+1

It never ends.....they just dont give up :rolleyes:

8. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

I wonder: the assumption has heretofore been that a 7" iPad would be at a lower price point. What if it was retina and priced about $300.us higher that the 10"? Would that work? Would it have to have other features (like a camera)?

9. yegon macrumors 68020

This x million.

Absolute dreamland.

10. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Well if you all actually read the opening post and subsequent post by myself the OP you can clearly see that I do not envision this will be in the iPad 7" at all. So why the bloody attitude?

Also it was news worthy simply because it shows that the technology now exists where it did not a week ago.

I'm sorry that all posts are not passed by yourself the arbiters of what is worthy in this world :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

11. SteveKnobs macrumors 6502

Haha. It's finally how easily you can ruin people's days isn't it?

12. fatbarstewar macrumors member

I agree it is newsworthy and I wasn't having a go at you. My post was more a general observation about the people who are going to be very disappointed in 6 months when the v2 comes along without an iPhone equivalent ppi.

Edit: BTW I'm also yegon, I have 2 accounts, this one for iPhone settings, yegon on the computer.

13. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Yea, right. Given X numbers of posts about Retina display on iPad...
    Also, this kind of post of ipad will make people believe this OP also wants the Retina display on iPad 2 as well. I actually read the opening post. OP didn't mention much other than HERE IS 6.6 inch screen with 300 PPI!

14. Psychj0e macrumors regular

Cool - I really hope they ramp up the resolution on the next iPad :)

Perhaps so. But marginally less hopeless than the deluded fool living in his parents basement who fills his day by insulting people on Macrumors.

15. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Really what I said was

"Still highly doubt we will see this in an ipad any time soon, but the 4:3 ratio and the size would lend themselves to a 7" ipad (well a 6.6" ipad).

However I imagine the cost of these panels is beyond any reasonable pricing framework that could work in an ipad for a good while yet."

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: