HIV drug approved by the FDA

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by niuniu, Jul 16, 2012.

1. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
  2. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

I think this is the important part:

It didn't mention if you had to use it for a week/month/etc for it to work, or if only one pill before sex works?

3. niuniu thread starter macrumors 68020

niuniu

I'm sure they'll have clear dosing guidelines and a campaign to inform people how it works when it comes out.

What happens in Africa now I wonder, will this get shipped over as foreign aid or will African govts. be queuing up to buy it?

4. Jb07 macrumors 6502

That's an amazing medical achievement. Next up, the cure for cancer! :D

5. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

Its for anyone and it has to be taken daily.

If a nurse pricks his/her finger with a needle they will take a combo of pills for a month and it has been shown to stop infection afterwords (unfortunately most Doctors and people at risk do not know about this option, it does work for any exposer, I took it once and I am happily HIV- still).

6. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

"cancer" - Which one :(

7. Jb07 macrumors 6502

I would say lung cancer would be the place to start. It resulted in the most deaths in 2011.:( From then on finding a cure should be easier.

Attached Files:

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Reduce infection is the key here... unluckily it does not prevent or stop. However, nonetheless if it does reduce significantly the infect great job.

9. fox10078 macrumors 6502

fox10078

Thats a tough one considering the basic problem is how bad our air is, along with smoking.

10. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

A little bit of light reading would show that this drug, or at least one of its components, might pertain to some forms of metastatic growths. The reverse-transcriptase-inhibitor might be able to play a part in reining in the runaway growths of tumors and cancers. Interesting stuff, this.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Condoms work fine. Don't take a drug. Until there is a cure, don't take a drug.

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

What about when they break?

13. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

See my post above, when they break there are already options that don't require taking a drug daily.

http://aids.gov/hiv-aids-basics/prevention/reduce-your-risk/post-exposure-prophylaxis/

http://www.aids.org/topics/aids-treatment/treatment-hiv/

The new drug taken daily is 73% effective. PEP taken within 72 hours is 79% effective.

(even more information and studies done by exposure rate: http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr5402a1.htm)

14. Andeavor macrumors 6502

Doesn't matter, there is still a large portion of men who are either in denial of ever getting infected or they're full aware of the risk with or without taking drugs. Unprotected sex among men, gay or undecided, will always be happening.

15. niuniu thread starter macrumors 68020

niuniu

I think the new drug, Truvada, is PEP. It's a combination of two drugs (post infection treatment drugs) and then you get a third drug depending on your other needs. That basically is a PEP. Different types have been around since the late 80s for healthcare workers.

I think now a particular type of combination (that's been around since 2004) has been approved by the FDA for wider use, been given a shiny name and is being shipped out.

Can't help but feel that this s some way linked with the current pharma industry scrambling around to find something profitable as a bunch of their popular patents are expiring.

Either way, if it lowers infection rates. Brilliant, but it should have came sooner.

16. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I hope, but am skeptical. Antiretrovirals have been slow to make their way to Africa and the biggest blockage has been cost. Hopefully, the drug will be less expensive than antiretros as they are still not cheap. A year of antiretrovirals has fallen from $15 grand to $60-$800...but even at $60-800, that is still a huge price figure.

17. niuniu thread starter macrumors 68020

niuniu

At first reading I thought oh great we're going to fix Africa... but I seen some other news this week about Pharma takeovers as they scramble to make profits so I don't think this is going to be a big humanistic breakthrough. Sad really. Sold to Western and Asian governments who'll ration it tightly.. probably..

Patent will expire in 70 years or whatever.. then it'll go generic to Africa :rolleyes:

18. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Historically, Africa has been the pharmaceutical world's 'testing' grounds. Often, what they 'test' is still in the experimental stages and there have been quite a few incidents of western pharmaceutical companies administering drugs to Africans that proved to be lethal. When these 'tests' show the drug 'works', they then pack up and sell it in western countries, without any regard to the destruction they left behind. The first antiretros sold for $15,000/yr. Not until some company broke the law to make 'illegal' generics in India and Bill Clinton formally signed an agreement saying the US would not pursue them did they really become any sort of reality. But even today, cost is a huge issue (the administration of the drugs themselves are also one, but that is another topic). The history between western pharmaceutical companies and Africa is a really sad topic :(

19. niuniu thread starter macrumors 68020

niuniu

Sound filthy, but not surprised really. Govt seems to have had a go at running most types of businesses in history, can't see why they don't invest into big pharma more.

20. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

ARVs have had an enormous impact where they've been deployed and the HIV infection rate has plummeted as a result. Bill Clinton and his foundation has had an enormous impact on HIV around the world, much greater than the Gates foundation. Issues remain, but in countries where HIV is prevalent and where ARVs are widely available, the turnaround is phenomenal.

I firmly believe that Bill Clinton deserves a Nobel prize for his impact on the disease.

21. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Well, sure, because if I've been scrupulously avoiding unsafe sex with HIV+ partners up to now, the promise of having only a 27% chance of catching it is definitely close enough to make me throw caution to the wind. Makes perfect sense.

22. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

Hopefully one day there will be a single vaccine which prevents infection for a lifetime. Is it possible?

23. niuniu thread starter macrumors 68020

niuniu

24. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

And there would be a $32,000,000 contract on your life immediately thereafter. ;)

The Vatican will have to melt-down a few gold crosses is all. :rolleyes:

25. niuniu thread starter macrumors 68020

niuniu

Or sell that Popemobile :D

Well the Holy fiddlers will be happy to hear that vaccines are getting kicked around the dirt, scientifically, these days. So they can continue to peddle their fear to the poor and diseased for a long time to come :cool:

http://gaia-health.com/gaia-blog/2012-07-04/vaccine-theory-proven-wrong-study-by-nih/