Hiv-positive college student faces life in prison for infecting multiple partners

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, May 18, 2015.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

http://madamenoire.com/342611/hiv-positive-college-student/

sick individual, 60 years is not enough

2. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

3. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Actually, this brings up a good question. Obviously, this was pre-meditated.. So if one of these victims dies before Johnson, could he end up with murder 1 charges?

Could our resident lawyers chime in?

BL.

4. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I think Tgara's a lawyer, but he hasn't posted much lately. I know I've seen similar stories mentioned on other occasions.

5. A.Goldberg, May 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2015

A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Wow! I don't really have words to respond to this. I wonder if it was denial, anger, or something else that lead him to go around taking such heinous action. I don't have much sympathy for this, but clearly this young man has some serious issues. I'd be curious to know if they existed before the HIV diagnosis. At least for the victims, HIV is a very treatable disease today. Though not exactly an easy condition to live with, this is not a swift death sentence. Someone diagnosed in their 20's, if adherent with treatment, is expected to live well into their late 70's.

I'd be curious to know as well.

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

7. sim667 macrumors 65816

I remember when there was a spate of someone going round stabbing others with HIV infected sharps in the UK for a while.

8. Thraun macrumors regular

Thraun

This is my greatest nightmare and most irrational fear.

9. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Wow. He should be charged with attempted murder.

10. snberk103 macrumors 603

To get a conviction on murder I think you'd have to be able to prove - beyond a shadow of doubt - that he intended his victims to die. He's likely going to die in prison - so no one else can be victimized by him.

11. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

12. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Lots of AIDS linked to male homosexual activity, no denying that CDC backed fact.

If you're into the whole gay hookup scene, waking up with AIDS shouldn't be a shocker.

Find a clean partner, be faithful, stay together. AIDS risk shrinks dramatically. Easy.

13. Thraun macrumors regular

Thraun

AIDS is transmitted through "hetero sex" as well. I think it's pretty unfair to pin it on gay people, and a bit bigoted.

I think the lesson is no matter what your gender identity or sexual orientation is, AIDS is a reality, and anyone who is sexually active (particularly with multiple partners, which is totally fine, it just ups the chances) should just be careful. Because it's not just your life, it's the lives of everyone you have a sexual encounter with.

14. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Nobody "pinned" it on gay men. But the truth is that gay men are disproportionately affected by HIV when compared to the general population.

Acknowledging the truth is neither unfair, nor bigoted.

For someone who just got done telling me his religion is "truth, fact, and evidence" this should be pretty common knowledge.

15. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Faithful goes both way, and nobody can guarantee their partner is faithful or will be in the future.

If your partner is not faithful, you probably won't know, at least not right away. And you can get tested on a regular basis, but it can take 8 weeks to 6 months to detect. So unless someone waits after 6 months without having sex, any HIV test that comes back negative isn't a sure thing.

So it's not that easy.

16. Thraun macrumors regular

Thraun

Way to drag issues across threads.

My point was more that whether or not gay men are disproportionately affected by HIV/AIDS, we should be encouraging everyone of all orientations to be safe when it comes to intimate relations, whatever that means.

I fear that endorsing the idea that gay men spread AIDS more readily will cause straight men (and women) to be less safe than they should be.

In summary, HIV/AIDS is not a gay problem, it's an everyone problem.

17. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Well this thread deals with a gay man who knowingly spread the infection to other men. So I'm sure Technarchy's post was written in that vein.

I didn't read that somehow heterosexuals needn't be as safe as before. Just that homosexuals who are promiscuous should be even more careful, which is the truth.

18. Meister Suspended

Meister

On principle I agree with you. But why is this disease always mentioned as a LBGT issue then?

Almost all people who contract that disease do so because they engage in risky behaviour. Sure it's tragic, but excuse me if my empathy is dampered by the fact that the people in this story hurt themselves by participating in perverted and idiotic activities.

19. dec., May 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2015

dec. Suspended

dec.

As funny as it is, I agree with you :mad: .

There are gay guys out there that don't care about safer sex. For a straight couple the consequence usually just means an abortion (and maybe an STD or HIV here or there), for gays it means an STD that you cannot eliminate, although these days it's very controllable, but still.. I don't see why one would want to expose themselves to a possible infection.

20. Wahlstrm macrumors 6502a

Wahlstrm

We had a famous case like this here about 10 years back. The guy came here from Iran and slept with/raped 130+ women and 2 men. Only 1 person got infected and that was his Swedish girlfriend whom he had a relationship with during all of this..

It´s seems you have to be very unlucky to get infected?

He then went back to Iran, infected 3 more women and did 4 years in prison..

To bad he didn't get caught in America, where he also did the same thing..
    Some 2405 odd years + life in prison would have served him right.

21. FieldingMellish Suspended

Gay Men's Health Crisis (GMHC) was formed in 1981 when few knew or cared about AIDS except for the homosexual community that was ravaged by it. Chapters are still working to help educate and counsel.

22. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Because gay and bisexual men account for 61% of all HIV infections in the US despite comprising only 2 percent of the population.

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/risk/gender/msm/

23. Meister Suspended

Meister

And why is that, I wonder ...