HL-DT-ST DVDRW GSA-S10N: (my DVD writer)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Zicklein, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Zicklein macrumors newbie

Hello,
    Here are the specs of my MacBookPro's DVD writer:
    HL-DT-ST DVDRW GSA-S10N:
    Firmware Revision: AP12
    Interconnect: ATAPI
    Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipping Drive)
    Cache: 2048 KB
    Reads DVD: Yes
    CD-Write: -R, -RW
    DVD-Write: -R, -R DL, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW
    Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO
    Media: Insert media and refresh to show available burn speeds

No matter how I try, I can not put anything on a DVD. I wanted to copy all pictures onto a DVD and it just will not work. I can put them on a CD, but that doesn't do me any good, because there are so many pictures and the CDs only have very little space.
    I also wanted to make a exact copy of a DVD with the Disk Utility App and it doesn't work. The error message reads:
    2008-09-15 19:44:59 -0400: Unable to burn “kate.dmg”. (The burn failed because of a medium write error.)
    2008-09-15 19:44:59 -0400:
    I tried different type of DVDs minus and plus. Do you have any idea? I am on my wits end.....:confused:
    Heidi

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Sounds like the lens is dirty, use some compressed air to clean it or a CD with brushes.

Alternatively, it could be a problem with the disks themselves getting scratched or smeared before the burn.

Also, have you tried another program, like Toast to do your burning, as it may be a software error.

TEG

3. Zicklein thread starter macrumors newbie

Never even thought of the drive being dirty, the Notebook is new, but I will try.
    As far as the disks, I used brand-new ones. I would like to buy toast, but I feel that if I spent $2,700 on my Notebook, I should be able to do a plain function like burning files on a DVD, no?
    Heidi

4. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I would suggest that you really should take the computer to an Apple Store or Apple Repair Center and have them look at it, with your media. As it may actually be a defective drive, then they can replace it for you.

TEG

6. Zicklein thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried first Staples Brand and them Memorex. The CDs work. It's just the DVDs.

7. Zicklein thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess I have no other choice. The Problem is, that we are at a campground and we'll be here for one more month and there is no Apple store here.

8. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

i have the same drive as yours and have had trouble burning Memorex DVDs. 1 out of 2 burned "successfully", or so I thought. burned a dvd for my friend and Disk Utility verified the disc after burn and said it was good. But when my friend put it in his macbook it didn't work.

Usually apple will recommend Verbatim DVDs.

9. Zicklein thread starter macrumors newbie

But it doesn't even let me burn the disk. Not the Memorex nor the Staples brand. I have some Verbatim DVDs at home. I just feel that an expensive computer should accept most brands.
    I still think that there is something else wrong.

10. wiggie macrumors newbie

Alternative for cleaning the lens

I also had a problem that my superdrive would not burn DVDs regularly. Today I went to the Apple Store. Unfortunately my MBP was not in the guarantee anymore, replacement would cost about CAD 350 for the drive + about CAD 100 for labour. However, I got a good advice: Buy a cleaning DVD/BD. That is what I did, I bought a Maxell Lens Cleaner for $ 9.99. This solved the problem I have burnt a disc successfully a few minutes ago.
    Thanks Apple Service for the great tip.
    Ronald

11. froglet macrumors newbie

HL-DT-ST DVD RW GSA-S10N drive

i am currently on my third drive with Apple, i hate to say it but i dont know if they have replace this drive with the same model or not?? i would say so, and now this one doesnt seem to burn anything either, im still under warranty, but thats only for another month, i guess i could just keep returning to apple since the thing doesnt last the 90 days or what ever they give you for the part. I just want to burn data to a DVD DL disc . toast gave me an error message so does the finder back the the Apple store!:apple::confused::(

12. electricdeath macrumors newbie

I have the same drive and I just recently noticed that the drive doesnt take burned/ blank dvds at all... commercial dvd on the other hand are fine as well as CDs... its just the blank/burn dvds that are the problem.

13. djmikestrip macrumors newbie

Similar Problems...

I have the HL-DT-ST DVDRW GSA-S10N in my MacBook Pro 2.67 Ghz.
    The problem I'm having is that it reads the drive fine, and also burns CD-R's and reads them fine. It will not AT ALL READ or BURN DVD's. Any suggestions besides what has been written? Thanks.

Firmware Revision: AP09
    Interconnect: ATAPI
    Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipping Drive)
    Cache: 2048 KB
    Reads DVD: Yes
    CD-Write: -R, -RW
    DVD-Write: -R, -R DL, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW
    Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO
    Media: Insert media and refresh to show available burn speeds

14. whale-av, Feb 9, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2011

whale-av macrumors newbie

LG HL-DT-ST DVDRW GSA-S10N working again

Hello, I just registered to post this, as after a great deal of searching I had found no-one who had solved any problems with their "superdrive". I know that it is an old thread, but it popped up at the head of my search.

My drive would not take discs in properly (they would not snap down) although sometimes they would be "half in" and spin forever. Sometimes, holding my MacBook "PRO?" upside-down would help, but most of the time I would have to resist throwing the thing at the wall.

One time in a hundred the disc would stay in and be read - no problem - but if I tried to write to a DVD I would end up with another coaster! Of course all this happens to me because I am not a true believer!

These "features" on my Mac were reproduced faithfully under BootCamp, running XPPro.

I just flashed my drive HL-DT-ST DVDRW GSA-S10N with firmware revision A103 from the Dell site, and so far under XP and OSX it has gratefully accepted every disc I have inserted.

I have just burnt a DVD in XP.

This DVDRW drive has had a number of necessary firmware revisions issued by the manufacturer (LG) since its inception. None of these have been passed on by Apple under their "don't care" policy.

Apple market this machine to "Pro" users, many of whom are video artists and compositors. Their after sales support is atrocious. :apple:

I believe that Apple without "Keynote" would have ceased to exist many years ago.

15. liam5150 macrumors member

liam5150

Superdrive rejecting EVERY disc.

I have to admit that I almost panicked after seeing my superdrive (MBP 15" Late 2007) ejecting every single disc I tried to read, blank or not. With such an old machine I was almost willing to forget about writing/reading discs, but then I tried the canned air inside the disc slot tip and... voilà: my super drive is working again.

I sprayed a few bursts on the back of the machine, and I was suprised with the amount of dust that came out of the machine. I guess I have to do it at least once per year.

Hope this helps anyone having the same problem.

Cheers.