Hm, I love my iPad 2 but I may have made a mistake

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Johnny Steps, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Johnny Steps macrumors 6502

Johnny Steps

Right now I have a White iPad 2 32GB Wifi only model. I also have a rooted Evo 4G that I can tether my wireless devices and it does the job pretty well when I need 3G on the go. However, I have like bothersome feeling in the back of my head that maybe, for convenience, I should have gotten a Verizon 3G+Wifi iPad but at the time I bought my iPad I only had enough for the Wifi model only.

What is you guys opinion on these thoughts?

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Only you can decide what you want, but if I were you, I would just use the Evo and tether.

3. melman101 macrumors 68030

Umm, yeah same thing happened with me.

I had iPad 1 64GB WiFi on release date, and an iPhone 3GS with MyWi Wi-Fi tethering. It was such a pain in the *** that I gave up, and I bought the iPad 2 64GB 3G (AT&T).

It's so much more convenient, but also more $.

4. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I too traded my wifi only for the AT&T 3g model...never looked back...:D

5. Johnny Steps thread starter macrumors 6502

Johnny Steps

So how would I get a refund? I mean.. I've had this thing since March. And I actually got this iPad replaced like a week ago at the Apple store. I actually felt like asking there "Hey! Can I give you the remaining money and this iPad so I can get the iPad 2 3G model?"

He'd probably say no.

6. Mr.C macrumors 601

First of all Apple's return policy states 14 days for returns and refunds. Anything over and they're not going to exchange it for a different model or take it back for a refund.

Secondly any exchanges/replacements under the warranty are going to be for the exact same model and they would not have let you pay extra money to upgrade to a 3G model.

7. youngplaya0228 macrumors regular

Heard someone on here mention Craigslist. See if you can trade someone, and offer to pay them the $130 difference also.

8. Johnny Steps thread starter macrumors 6502

Johnny Steps

Yes I'm aware of the refund policy. That's why I said I had it since March. And the reason I said that is because some topic I read here had that idea and he got what he wanted, but like you stated; more than likely he was under 14 days.

So my best bet is selling this. Meh.. to much trouble. I'll be fine. Just wish you could buy an attachment or something...

9. jailbreakFiend macrumors member

I would suggest you stick with tethering. Personally I use tetherme to give internet to my iPad 2 through bluetooth.

It tethers all day at the office with great speeds and it doesn't even run down the battery on my iphone 4. On top of that, if you tether via bluetooth, it also transfer your GPS information to the iPad, which is really an added bonus.

Save your money and keep the wifi version.

10. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Doesn't sound worth it to me even though I bought the Verizon iPad2. I have to tether my Macbook Pro at my favorite coffee shop and it's really no big deal. Your call.

11. Johnny Steps thread starter macrumors 6502

Johnny Steps

Alright then. I'll keep tethering! Thanks!

12. h00ligan macrumors 68030

You're paining yourself over nothing. Tethering is a piece of Piss and you always have your phone.

13. ihatephish macrumors regular

I just exchanged my 16gb wifi only for a 32gb wifi model a week ago. I bought the original on the release date.

14. Mr.C macrumors 601

Then you got lucky. Apple only gives 14 days and most other places as far as I know only 30 days. One of the exceptions at least in the US is Target which gives 90 days. If you had exceeded the deadline for returns where you bought it they obviously made an exception.

15. roberthodgson macrumors regular

Get the At&t 3g version its a better unit if you travel out side of the US

16. ihatephish macrumors regular

i don't think it matters if you're UPGRADING to a higher priced model. im starting a new job and feel i may need the 3G. went to the apple store to see about upgrading and they said "no problem".

17. weespeed macrumors 6502

I did the opposite.

My iPad1 was originally a 16gb wifi.. I later upgraded to a iPad1 3G..
    After using it a while I realized I always had my iPhone 4 and with myWi I never used the 3G on my iPad1. I was wasting money on the At&t data service. So whenI got the iPad 2 I went for the wifi.

I guess the question would be are you ever with out your Evo and have only the iPad? If you are gonna be without your phone to tether, then I would say a 3G would be the better. Otherwise I say keep the wifi only model.

One thing to consider is the resale on 3G model from At&t is better.

18. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

I always tell people to get 3G unless you never leave the house. Should have asked me!

19. erawsd macrumors 6502

I think the classic line: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" applies here. If tethering works fine, then there is no reason to lose money on your current machine, and then have to fork over an extra $100 + $30/month for a slight improvement in convenience.

And how often are you actually tethering? Personally, I can't think of many places where I'd take my iPad and not have WIFI available.

20. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

I purchased then 32 gb iPad 2 AT&T because I wanted the GPS and the option to go with a separate data plan in the future if I wished. Right now I use MyWi and I have a mophie battery case. Great combo.

21. jagolden macrumors 6502

jagolden

Actually, I'm frequently away from wi-fi with my iPad. I do have the 3g, but how does tethering work? Is this something I have to pay extra to AT&T?

22. iSingandiDance macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

Upgrade to 3G if you aren't a heavy user outside of the house.

If you are rather liberal in your data usage stick with the tethering.

Normally I would say the iPad alone is far better than any tether/mifi options because of it's outstanding battery life and the fact you don't have to worry about bringing along or forgetting to bringing along another device.

But the chances you'll forget your phone is slim-to-none.

23. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

I would have bought the 3G version ( Att ) only if :

- I traveled internationally often.
    - Needed the GPS function on the tablet.
    - Did not have the option to tether via phone.
    - Felt philanthropic towards the telecom industry :p

Otherwise, the WiFi model tethered to my Evo 3D gets the job done :)

In essence, no regrets having bought the WiFi only model!

24. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

Tethering my iPad to my iPhone with MyWi used to be a bit of a pain. However, the new "On Demand" feature makes it a breeze! You can pretty much set it up once and forget it. When the iPad needs a data connection, it automatically connects to the iPhone via Bluetooth. It uses less power than WiFi and it shuts down automatically when it's not needed. Brilliant!

25. cardinalryan macrumors 6502

cardinalryan

Perhaps you aren't persistent enough, but Apple's 14 day return policy is simply a piece of paper that means nothing.

I upgraded my 3gs after four months, I went from a 21" iMac to a 27" after three months and went from a black 16gb iPhone 4 to a white 32gb iPhone 4 after nine months!

If you are nice, handle yourself with class and communicate effectively with the right person in the store then I would say there is a 75% chance that Apple will take your product back and let you upgrade anywhere inside of 12 months.

That's been my experience.