Hm. Read this on the old Mac Pro and a PC 8800GT, don't know what to make of it.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Firefly2002, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

From the front page of XLR8YourMac, a reader report:
    --
    *(PC) VGA GeForce 8800 GT SC works in both old and new mac pro in Windows

There are some specialties about my setup though, as I simply swapped the hard drives between the old and new Mac Pro, the new Mac Pro now runs the regular 9B18 build of Mac OS X 10.5.1, whereas the old Mac Pro runs the newer 9C16 Build.
    Hope this info is useful to anybody
    Cheers, Oliver"
    --------

I couldn't find a follow-up to the bit about the "PC VGA 8800 GT SC," which surprised me. I don't know if this means anything to anyone.. to me, VGA just means Video Graphics Array.. as in, not DVI. I dunno what the SC is about. Don't know of any card manufacturers with that name, and I don't remember there being an "8800 GT SC" model, but if that's helpful to someone then... well, good, I guess.

Check out the front page www.xlr8yourmac.com and see for yourself.... would be best not to ask me the questions since I don't know the answers =-)

Incidentally, he also said the new Mac Pros run Tiger, at least 10.4.11, just fine. I know some people were asking about that and don't know if it's been answered.

Sorry if this is like, a reposting.

Hopefully at least of some interest.

2. newtech macrumors 6502

What works in Windows/Bootcamp is in no way germaine to OS X.

3. mrcandy macrumors regular

There's a company called eVGA that makes a "super clocked" 8800GT, link.
    Still need an Apple 8800 for the hackers to attempt dumping and flashing into a PC version for use in OSX.

4. Firefly2002 thread starter macrumors 65816

Oh. Yeah, I know eVGA.

I know it wouldn't work in OS X.. but some people did want to try it with Windows so they didn't need to boot into their PC every time they wanted to play a new game that required something more than the rather-antiquated 1900, or mid-range 2600.