Hmm...Fix swap outs with SSD instead of RAM?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by townsend2005, Oct 15, 2012.

1. townsend2005 macrumors newbie

I run a lot of applications simultaneously and often find myself out of ram and with big "Page outs" in activity monitor.

Normally, this would indicate that I should get more RAM.

But, I just wonder... if I can fit a 6Gbps SSD into my optibay - wouldn't that obviate the need for extra RAM? Kind of a redneck workaround.

If I had the money, of course I would upgrade both. Based on my work, I don't really need an SSD. But I figure if I'm going to pay $50 for RAM for convenience, might as well throw in another $50 and get the benefits of the SSD, too, right?

Any thoughts?

2. whiteonline macrumors 6502

whiteonline

RAM is much faster than SSD. Better to get the RAM.
    Plus intentional swapping to SSD is bad for drive longevity.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

While paging activity will be faster with a SSD, it will still be significantly slower than RAM. Have you determined that you're paging out on a regular basis, under your normal workload?

4. AlanShutko macrumors 6502a

It doesn't obviate it, but it lets you go further into swap by reducing the pain you experience when swapping. If you want an SSD for other reasons, it's a decent solution.

5. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

I would say to just do the RAM upgrade. I went to 16 GB in my 2012 and it now runs as smooth with TWO VMs running as it did with NO VMs running before the upgrade.

6. townsend2005 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hm, I see. Darn, I was hoping to have an excuse for the SSD. Practicality wins the day, then.

I think I'm going to go with the single stick of 8, I hear that using matching pairs is only an incremental improvement. And it's a half-way upgrade to 16GB - otherwise will have thrown out 4 sticks of RAM, 2+2GB and 4+4GB, by the time I upgrade to 16!

Thanks guys.