Hmm..iPhone 8 tanks and now iPhone X won't be short

coolbreeze2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 24, 2009
This article says iPhone 8 sales are not good:

http://www.newsweek.com/iphone-8-apple-comparison-iphone-7-sales-686489

This article says iPhone X will not be scarce at launch:

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/10/17/iphone-x-suppliers-on-schedule-to-meet-2017-demand/

Coincidence that the iPhone X is now expected to be not in shortage? Can you imagine if iPhone X is only available for a few hours as originally predicted and the iPhone 8 sales totally tanks? That would leave Apple with nothing attracting consumers in the smartphone market. Well that won't happen. Therefore, now we hear that the iPhone X will be available in bigger numbers.

I’mpaced

Suspended
Sep 26, 2017
I think it’s crazy the way they announced these phones. They should have announced the 8/8plus and then the X six months later or vise versa. No one is buying the iPhone 8 and it’s their worst launch ever. We are all waiting for the X and depending what you read/believe we won’t get them until Dec/Jan and if that’s the case I’ll pass all together

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
Its possible that production is switching to iPhone X since the 8 didn't sell as well at launch. But more than likely, it is still going to not be enough at least right away. There's still less supply than usual (hence the launch date being later than the 8) and the holidays are coming up so that's a high demand period for any product. Perhaps it will be readily available by January though, versus March or April as some have predicted.

coolbreeze2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 24, 2009
Its possible that production is switching to iPhone X since the 8 didn't sell as well at launch. But more than likely, it is still going to not be enough at least right away. There's still less supply than usual (hence the launch date being later than the 8) and the holidays are coming up so that's a high demand period for any product. Perhaps it will be readily available by January though, versus March or April as some have predicted.
Yes shifting production would make sense. However, according to the Newsweek article, "Reduced sales for the latest iPhone have also been reported by human rights group China Labor Watch, which claims that factories are laying off workers as a result of poor iPhone 8 sales". They aren't increasing production but laying off workers. If they were shifting production to the iPhone X, the workers would stop making iPhone 8 and start making iPhone X.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
I think it’s crazy the way they announced these phones. They should have announced the 8/8plus and then the X six months later or vise versa. No one is buying the iPhone 8 and it’s their worst launch ever. We are all waiting for the X and depending what you read/believe we won’t get them until Dec/Jan and if that’s the case I’ll pass all together
You have a lot of insinuations in your post without any factual evidence. One thing you need to consider, the iPhone 8 will outsell the iPhone X by massive numbers because it's more affordable and widely avaible.

Furthermore, you stated "We" are all waiting for the iPhone X. Yes there are a large number of people who want the iPhone X, but there are a large amount people who will not upgrade because of the price point, availability or preference For Touch ID.

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
I read before the X was officially announced that Apple wanted to ship at least 10M-12M before the year ends. That's plenty.

Nintendo could barely manufacture 3M Switches its first few months which is why I never saw one at any store until six months later when I happened to visit a Best Buy and it had three of them. Then three days later, they were all gone.

The only time I ever felt exclusivity from iPhone was the first gen because it was $400-$600, sold under 10M, and was only in one carrier. X is expected to sell close to 100M within a year and 130M overall. Plenty to go around.

People will be flashing the same X as you in a matter of months but in a different case or color. Will go down as the best-selling iPhone and smartphone of all-time. If you think the 6 is common, wait when X is released.

I’mpaced

Suspended
Sep 26, 2017
You have a lot of insinuations in your post without any factual evidence. One thing you need to consider, the iPhone 8 will outsell the iPhone X by massive numbers because it's more affordable and widely avaible.

Furthermore, you stated "We" are all waiting for the iPhone X. Yes there are a large number of people who want the iPhone X, but there are a large amount people who will not upgrade because of the price point, availability or preference For Touch ID.

Really. The iPhone 7 is currently outselling the 8’s

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2017/10/16/16484922/iphone-8-sales-7-outsold-us-report-analyst

Reactions: Applejuiced

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Did you even read the link you provided or did you Google the first topic that you searched? This is what the article title stated you posted:

"People are reportedly buying more iPhone 7s that iPhone 8s in the US."

This completely generalized ,which doesn't comfirm anything and nor does that article have any definitive numbers, being the iPhone 8 has been available only a Month . And naturally, the iPhone 7 is selling, because it's discounted by $150.00. So, what's your point exactly? An older model iPhone discounted is selling better than the iPhone 8? That's obvious, because it's cheaper.

Furthermore, My Post you quoted wasn't contesting the iPhone 7, it was stating the iPhone 8 will outsell the iPhone X overtime due to availability and pricing, which you falsely stated "No one is buying the iPhone 8." You don't have evidence supporting that.

Last edited:

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
This article says iPhone 8 sales are not good:

http://www.newsweek.com/iphone-8-apple-comparison-iphone-7-sales-686489

This article says iPhone X will not be scarce at launch:

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/10/17/iphone-x-suppliers-on-schedule-to-meet-2017-demand/

Coincidence that the iPhone X is now expected to be not in shortage? Can you imagine if iPhone X is only available for a few hours as originally predicted and the iPhone 8 sales totally tanks? That would leave Apple with nothing attracting consumers in the smartphone market. Well that won't happen. Therefore, now we hear that the iPhone X will be available in bigger numbers.
Does anyone think, that those who bought the iPhone 8 really care if it tanked in sales ? I don’t.:) Let Apple care about this.

sumsingwong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2012
China is also producing some nice smartphones like the Xiaomi and Hauwei lines that practically have no bezel, this doesn't help the sales of the new iPhones. The price point is the main concern though.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
X is such an inferior half baked phone, 8 all the way.
Really? Seems like the iPhone 8 is the meager update and Apple was swinging for the fences with the X. I've said this a lot, that they're only catching up to what was already out there for android, but it is Apple's biggest effort in many years.

The iPhone 6, 6s 7 and 8 are all essentially the same phone, with just minor tweaks.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G4
Apr 8, 2013
UK

I’m really suprised that the 8 isn’t selling that well if the reports are true. I would have thought that the price point of the X would be too high for the average consumer. Not that they can’t afford it but rather wouldn’t be able to justify it. They are not tech enthusiasts like the people that post on this forum. Therefore I would have thought that the 8 would have been the go to phone for the majority of purchasers.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
I’m really suprised that the 8 isn’t selling that well if the reports are true. I would have thought that the price point of the X would be too high for the average consumer. Not that they can’t afford it but rather wouldn’t be able to justify it. They are not tech enthusiasts like the people that post on this forum. Therefore I would have thought that the 8 would have been the go to phone for the majority of purchasers.
I think the iPhone 8 is still fairly new for being released and new. Long-term, it's going to sell very well from the iPhone X and will be the primary choice for most, because it will still have a cheaper price point. Not to mention, as time goes along, we will see more trade in promotions, discounts and upgrade incentives.

joeblow7777

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2010
I never believed that supply of the X would be as limited as rumours have been saying. It makes no sense to launch with such an inability to fill orders.

As far as sales of the 8 go, time will tell how it all works out.

Reactions: KRG and zhandri

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
The glass back is there so it can have wireless charging.
Oh I know, but those are the two items that comes to mind when you think about iPhone 8 vs iPhone 7.

Not for nothing, but I'd be worried about the durability of the glass back, I'm probably making a mountain over a mole hill (the front is glass after all), but in my twisted mind, it seems even more likely to crack/shatter. Perhaps I'm thinking that because I see my wife and kids phones with cracks on their iPhones now, nevermind the rear of the iPhone 8

Reactions: Applejuiced

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
This isn't an apple issue, it is a phone peaking issue. People are holding phones longer than in the past, similar to the way people have been keeping ipads for much longer than apple was hoping for.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
That's because of buyers remorse. No one likes buying an iPhone 8, when a superior model is above it. I don't think most even realise the X is smaller than the 8 Plus. The 64GB X is a stones throw away from the 256GB 8 Plus which everyone will get because of no 128GB storage and I would still get the X over more storage,if,screen size isn't an issue. It makes sense buying a 7 Plus at a discount because it does 95% of what the iPhone 8 plus does.

Last edited:

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Oh I know, but those are the two items that comes to mind when you think about iPhone 8 vs iPhone 7.

Not for nothing, but I'd be worried about the durability of the glass back, I'm probably making a mountain over a mole hill (the front is glass after all), but in my twisted mind, it seems even more likely to crack/shatter. Perhaps I'm thinking that because I see my wife and kids phones with cracks on their iPhones now, nevermind the rear of the iPhone 8
It's supposed to be tougher than the glass back on the 4 and 4S so we'll see.

I'm happy enough with my 8+, it's a great upgrade from the 6 I had before.
[doublepost=1508324931][/doublepost]
That's because of buyers remorse. No one likes buying an iPhone 8, when a superior model is above it. I don't think most even realise the X is smaller than the 8 Plus. The 64GB X is a stones throw away from the 256GB 8 Plus which everyone will get because of no 128GB storage and I would still get the X over more storage. It makes sense buying a 7 Plus at a discount because it does 95% of what the iPhone 8 plus does.
I didn't even consider it once I'd seen how much it cost and I couldn't give a toss if someone else has a 'superior' phone than me. :)