Hobby Lobby president breaking the law?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by steve knight, May 22, 2014.

1. steve knight, May 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2014

steve knight Suspended

steve knight

I thought lying and breaking the law was against the rules? but if you do it for Jesus it's ok?

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2014/0...dent-privately-to-avoid-public-meeting-rules/

2. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

It's amazing how the liberals really want to paint Steve Green as a horrible person.

3. steve knight thread starter Suspended

steve knight

cause we have never seen Christians forcing their religion in schools of course. Why would a business owner go to so much work to get a class on bible as literature into classes? Unless they have an agenda. I mean hobby lobby does not push their faith on their employees or anything.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Is that the best you can do?

Haven't read anything else other than the article quoted and the AP linked source but it looks pretty bad for your boy. Not a very Christian thing to do.

5. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

If only David Green would give up his faith, the left would love him. After all, he pays almost double minimum wage. Gives his employees many holidays and limits his store hours to allow them more time with their families. He choses employees over profits. He even supplied healthcare insurance before it was required. But take one position that the left doesn't like and he's toast.

6. steve knight thread starter Suspended

steve knight

poor guy he is so great. yes he pays well. but he is also trying to dictate how his employees deal with their insurance and now trying to get religion in schools and most likely lied to congress to do it. also going outside the school board to get his unconstitutional class going. so as long as he does some good it forgives when he lies and breaks the law? remember this class is really to teach kids to follow the bible and that includes not lying.

7. Huntn, May 22, 2014
    Last edited: May 22, 2014

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

It's amazing how you want to make excuses for sneaking about and avoiding public input. If accurately reported this IS the problem with intolerant, proselytizing, right wing religious extremists. The thing that makes them extreme is not only pushing but, trying to elevate faith to facts.

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

It's sad to see a seemingly good Christian man lie and cheat for a religious agenda. They know religion is dying and indoctrinating kids is their only hope.

9. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I don't understand why you take things to these extreme views. Your assertion is probably correct, as it would remove his reason to push this curriculum. It's not the only way to quell criticism though. He could stop meddling with school curriculum in this case and trying to circumvent laws in another. I'm also curious where you obtained the $14/hr figure from prior threads. It conflicts pretty heavily with glassdoor, which is usually not that far off. Overall reviews on there are mixed. Some of them seem to really like it.

10. samiwas macrumors 65816

Let's make sure we're clear that Hobby Lobby doesn't "pay almost double the minimum wage". This number applies only for full-time employees, and I haven't been able to find out what percentage of employees are full time. Now, I will admit that that's wonderful, and the $9.50 for part-timers isn't bad, either. And it's great that he has decent hours, and I only remember two holidays that you mentioned before. And when I read his words on why he chose to pay what he does, and what it does for him (which, oddly enough, is diametrically opposed to what you support), I like it even more. Seems like a great guy in a business sense.

But being a great businessman does not make you a great person, necessarily. If it's true that he's colluding secretly with schools to get them to teach certain things, or if he supports certain positions which are against others' rights, you're damn right he's going to get called out on it.

You see, most people don't say things like "Oh well, Wal-Mart employs over a million people, so they are automatically considered great!"

http://www.christianpost.com/news/hobby-lobby-raises-minimum-wage-to-14-for-full-time-employees-94233/

11. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Hobby Lobby stores are only open 66 hours per week to make sure that employees have time for their families but you can paint Steve Green with horns if you want to... His employees seem to like him. They keep showing up.

12. steve knight thread starter Suspended

steve knight

Hobby Lobby president breaking the law?

Yes they show up cause they like the owner who I doubt talks to his peons. I am sure people stay at Walmart cause they love the owners.

13. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Ah that makes more sense now. Thanks.

No one was calling him evil. You make up far too much nonsense, and I don't think it's due to ignorance. I think you know exactly what you're doing.

14. samiwas macrumors 65816

I didn't paint the guy with horns by the way, I added a few facts. A few facts which you skipped over.

"Only 66 hours" means 9am-8pm Monday-Saturday. It's not exactly like that's just unbelievable. If they were open 9-5 or something, that would be something to talk about. It's great that they're closed on Sunday, though.

Keep in mind, a salaried exempt employee could have to do all 66 of those hours, not leaving much time for family.

Seriously…people show up every day to jobs they hate, for bosses they hate, because they need the job, the money, or the health insurance.

15. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

And yet he still tries to impose his religion on others.

16. vega07 macrumors 65816

Southern Dad, I know it will be hard for you but please try next time to not argue a case that doesn't exist.

It will move the conversation along a lot faster and no one will have to waste keystrokes to call you out for stuffing words into our mouths.

17. EvilQueen macrumors 6502

Religion is already in schools. It's just Christian based religion that gets the liberals up in arms. Teach Native American classes or others and that's ok.

I don't see the problem. Why not have a true religion class and teach many philosophies and let the students decide?

18. iBlazed, May 23, 2014
    Last edited: May 23, 2014

iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Not sure where you went to school, but in my public school there sure as hell wasn't any religion being taught.
    Not sure why you're under the impression liberals are just "anti-Christian". (Right wing persecution complex). But no, in reality, we just want teachers to teach facts and science, yeah we're such terrible people. How unreasonable.
    Why not leave religion out of public school completely? Why is that such a difficult concept for the right wing to grasp? Funny, conservatives are totally against any government involvement in anything, and yet here you are wanting government employees (teachers) to teach every religion to kids and have them decide. But don't let hypocrisy stand in your way. Why should teachers be responsible for teaching religion to kids? Teachers are supposed to arm kids with facts and knowledge, not ancient fairy tales.

Not to mention, let's get real here, righties don't want all religion in public schools, they want THEIR religion in public schools. You really think the hobby lobby president is circumventing the law and sneaking around trying to push his little agenda in order for school kids to equally learn about Islam and Buddhism in addition to Christianity? Give me a **cking break!

19. Huntn, May 23, 2014

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Hyperbole. The good things he has done for his employees does not give him carte blanche for the bad things he's trying to do.

Of course you don't. I'll assume you consider your faith trumps scientific fact, that it's a sin not to believe in Jesus and Christianity, so the poor man is just trying to save his fellow citizens's souls, right?

20. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

It's getting pretty annoying actually. Conservatives now realize that trying to teach Christianity alone in public schools will never happen because it's unconstitutional, so now they're trying to sneak it in under the disguise of teaching theistic religion in general with no particular focus on Christianity. Gee, I wonder which religion they're going to give special attention to if given their way. And then you have people like evilqueen who eat up that bs like it's their job.

21. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

The only place religion was ever discussed in my school was during world history. On top of that it was mostly old polytheistic dead religions.

These people don't want a religion class encompassing all religion, they want Christian indoctrination and Creationism instead of evolution. Can you imagine the uproar and hiss fit they would have if Hinduism and Islam had equal amounts of time in the classroom? Muh god!

22. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

They love telling people how religiously tolerant they are and how liberals are the anti-religious boogeyman. What they fail to mention is that the only religion they're tolerant of is their own.

23. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I get the idea that many are afraid of these type of classes. They are actually afraid that some could choose to become Christians or something.

24. lannister80, May 23, 2014

lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

If you want to use 2000-year-old, Bronze Age fairy tales as the basis for an educational curriculum, you are a horrible person.

25. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

You get the wrong idea, it has nothing with fear. This generation of kids will be the least religious generation in the history of this country, even less religious than the millennials. It has to do with adherence to the constitution, which I understand is a novel concept to a conservative. Also, the fact that you just mentioned Christianity exclusively and not any other religion sort of confirms the suspicion that this isn't about teaching all religion and giving kids "choices to pick a religion", it's about indoctrinating them into christianity. Again, nothing to do with fear, it's just obvious that our public schools have no right to do that and should not be doing it. Why is that hard for you to grasp? I've always thought that not teaching religion in public schools wasn't even something that was debatable, just common sense. But the conservatives have never been a fan of common sense, so I shouldn't really be surprised they're trying to push this agenda. Maybe after "Religion Class", they can have "Anti-Racism and Homosexuality Acceptance Class", I'm sure the right won't be up in arms about that.