Hofstra student killed by police in hostage standoff.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacNut, May 20, 2013.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

This whole situation seems like a big mess, from a convicted robber let out of prison to a huge communication breakdown in the events taking place at the house. This whole thing should have been avoided.
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323648304578493542367773074.html

2. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Horribly tragic. And probably avoidable, which makes the whole thing even more awful.

3. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Yep. Newsday has a good account of what happened.

Based on the limited facts. it seems to me the cop (who was a veteran and medal of honor recipient) failed to control the scene before entering the house.

And here we have another career criminal released from jail. Hey, we need room for pot smokers. :rolleyes:

5. vrDrew macrumors 65816

The police officer didn't know he was walking into a hostage situation.

Without knowing all the details its impossible to "second guess" the police department in making this call. But while regrettable in the extreme, I certainly don't hold the cop responsible.

The fact that the police officer was able to hit the suspect with seven shots is (probably) a testament to his training and marksmanship. The tragic fact that he accidentally hit the hostage with the eighth simply reinforces how difficult it is for anyone, even a trained professional, to shoot his way out of a standoff without doing collateral damage.

I do hope that some of the more aggressive proponents of guns for self-defense ponder on this.

6. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

I wonder if 8 shots was excessive. Granted we weren't there or know what the situation was or how quick things escalated. Knowing there was a hostage at gun point when he started firing it just seems to hasty.

7. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Unfortunately, the innocent victim could also have been hit by the first shot (or one of the first), which allowed the officer a bigger target for the next 7 shots.

It's just tragic all around.

8. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Frankly, if I ever found myself in a situation in which I had a gun and somebody was about to shot me, then my decision would be to empty my gun of bullets as rapidly as possible. I'd pull the trigger and keep pulling.

In any case, this is very sad news....

9. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Which seems to be what happened. Unfortunately the person who he shot was standing behind an innocent victim. Shooting first and asking questions later isn't always the best practice when we're talking about deadly weapons.

A great example of why "good guys with guns" don't always beat "bad guys with guns".

10. bmt134 macrumors 6502

Guess the NY 7 round magazine limit doesn't apply to cops.:rolleyes:

11. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

You can fire 8 rounds using a seven round magazine... 7 plus 1 in the chamber.

12. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

The fearmongers are fond of saying that the job of the police is not to protect you but to deal with miscreants. It is like a war between the cops and the thugs, and sometimes the innocent become collaterals. Not too terribly different from what happens between gangs.