"Hold On…" ALL the time

Bill Av

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2006
Has anyone had this issue when invoking Siri on the Apple Watch? It rarely happened on my S2, but it constantly happens on my S4.

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
I haven’t experienced this since upgrading from Series 1.

If you turn on Heath in iCloud sync, your Health, activity, and achievements from the watch are saved, so it’s safe to unpair the Watch and set it up as new.

Sword86

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
I started using Siri for the first time today. (Call me old school)
Saw it once in, like 3 times.
S

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2016
Yeah I just upgraded from the first gen and was disappointed to find that Siri is still so... slow... And also still very stupid. Siri is the weakest link on the watch, thankfully it's something Apple can potentially improve through software updates.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Yeah I just upgraded from the first gen and was disappointed to find that Siri is still so... slow... And also still very stupid. Siri is the weakest link on the watch, thankfully it's something Apple can potentially improve through software updates.
Siri has so much potential to, Apple knows it needs revamping, hopefully iOS 13/WatchOS 6 bring some significant changes for Siri’s expansion with dictation and abilities to compete against Google’s artificial intelligence.

Reactions: Tapiture

Celf

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2008
On my S3 it isn't any better. "Hold on..." even for a timer. Don't use it anymore.

Knight3

Suspended
Oct 19, 2018
Has anyone had this issue when invoking Siri on the Apple Watch? It rarely happened on my S2, but it constantly happens on my S4.
I actually have the opposite experience. Siri sucked a lot on my S2 but she almost always gets it right on my S4 and quick like 90% of the time. I’m a non-native English speaker and S2 wouldn’t usually get what I said but S4 so far never made a mistake.

Except for a few instances where I ask her to open some apps and a few other queries and she just closes right away without even an error message.

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2016
That’s weird that it happens to some of us and not others. I wonder if it has to do with cellular connection. For those that don’t have the issue, are you hooked up with LTE?

Bill Av

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2006
What is AW5?
Probably meant watchOS5.
Yep, that’s what I had meant to say.
[doublepost=1543767024][/doublepost]
That’s weird that it happens to some of us and not others. I wonder if it has to do with cellular connection. For those that don’t have the issue, are you hooked up with LTE?
I don’t have a LTE watch. The trouble usually happens when I don’t have a wi-fi connection. When I’m at home or work (on Wi-Fi) it works well. In fact, I had originally attributed the issue to my phone handing off from Wi-Fi to cellular, since I would be leaving work and I would (try to) use Siri on the watch to initiate a phone call. I’ll have to try it at different times to see when the trouble occurs.

Reactions: Orangeman13

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2016
Yep, that’s what I had meant to say.
[doublepost=1543767024][/doublepost]

I don’t have a LTE watch. The trouble usually happens when I don’t have a wi-fi connection. When I’m at home or work (on Wi-Fi) it works well. In fact, I had originally attributed the issue to my phone handing off from Wi-Fi to cellular, since I would be leaving work and I would (try to) use Siri on the watch to initiate a phone call. I’ll have to try it at different times to see when the trouble occurs.
Mine isn’t hooked up with cellular yet either and I have the issue.

Orangeman13

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2015
Mine is cellular and happens when I use Siri at home with WiFi it works great but when I leave and it transitions over to LTE/cellular - once on cellular when I tap to wake and say hey Siri then say call someone it will not work.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I wonder why some of us are having this problem regularly and some aren’t having it at all.
This I wonder, too.

I have owned all of the models and I do not ever remember Siri telling me to "hold on". The last two were LTE version but I have never activated.

We all know Siri is server based, I wonder if it is a regional thing. I am in Jacksonville, Fl and I have had Siri say she can not help or every once in a while she will freak out and do nothing but never "Hold ON"

I use Siri all the time to set reminders in the field, inquire about ball game scores (DAM DAWGS!), etc and 95% of the time she comes through for me.

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2016
This I wonder, too.

I have owned all of the models and I do not ever remember Siri telling me to "hold on". The last two were LTE version but I have never activated.

We all know Siri is server based, I wonder if it is a regional thing. I am in Jacksonville, Fl and I have had Siri say she can not help or every once in a while she will freak out and do nothing but never "Hold ON"

I use Siri all the time to set reminders in the field, inquire about ball game scores (DAM DAWGS!), etc and 95% of the time she comes through for me.
Only other thing I could think of is the model of phone paired with the watch, mine is a 6s (pretty old), maybe that’s why it’s a bit slow

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2016
Maybe someone needs to do a poll or survey so it can be resolved.
I thought about that but it’d be hard to get good results. You’d need different categories, running LTE or not, paired with iPhone 8/X or later or 7 or earlier, and then somehow you’d have to get equal votes for each category as to whether the problem is present or not

Reactions: Orangeman13