Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OziMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2003
My query is for Apple Bluetooth Mouse users.

Apple Bluetooth Mice, like their wired counterparts, have plastic buttons on either side which are to be held such that the one button can remain depressed if you need to lift-and-drag the mouse on your desk.

However, unlike the wired mice, these buttons do not seem to hold as well on the bluetooth mice. Instead, it is almost impossible to lift the mouse without losing the button press.

Does anyone else have similar problems or know of any potential fixes?

DickArmAndHarT

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2004
HMM

OziMac said:
My query is for Apple Bluetooth Mouse users.

Apple Bluetooth Mice, like their wired counterparts, have plastic buttons on either side which are to be held such that the one button can remain depressed if you need to lift-and-drag the mouse on your desk.

However, unlike the wired mice, these buttons do not seem to hold as well on the bluetooth mice. Instead, it is almost impossible to lift the mouse without losing the button press.

Does anyone else have similar problems or know of any potential fixes?

No damn idea i have a bluethooth mouse and have been trying to figure it out for some time. Cant wait till some one answeres

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i have no problems what-so-ever to be honest, i hold it with my thumb and ring finger, and i can lift move and do whatever just fine, i had to get used to the weight at first, but eh i have no problems with mine

Santaduck

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Honolulu
no problem here either w/my BT apple mouse.

however i don't do this very often at all.

If you do this all the time, and for some reason can't adjust mouse tracking speed (or acceleration on say a Kensington wireless mouse with their drivers), then I recommend a trackball-- Kensington's wireless trackballs are like gold, especially if you've used one a long time then encounter another mfg's trackball (e.g. Logitech)... Kenginston's been making trackballs since the Mac SE days, and their experience shows.

OziMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2003
Interesting responses.

It's not a weight issue for me at all. Its that the side buttons are not able at all to hold the mouse button before being lifted off the ground.

And it's not a tracking speed issue either.

Anyway, if anyone else has the problem and has overcome, please let us know.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
Maybe you should ask Apple to do a follow up on their 'How to life an iMac' article and do a similar one for the bluetooth mouse. ;) :p

KevRC4130

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2004
Massachusetts
I honestly did not really know what those side buttons were for before this. But I don't understand why you would lift the mouse, especially when pressing...?

Either way, I tested it, and it works great for me. I have my thumb on the left one, my pointer and middle finger on the mouse itself, my ring winger on the right one, and my pinky hanging on for dear life!

OziMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2003
The need for lifting in when you run out of desk space. Easy enough to do on two button mice, but not on Apple's one buttom mice - hence the side buttons. And it works absolutely fine on the wired mice - I guess the weight/design on the Bluetooth Mouse changes those dynamics a little though.

I'm fascinated that it works for you guys - the more I try it, the more difficult it seems on this particular mouse due to its design. For the record, I have two of these and the problem persists with both.

Anyway, like I said - any advice from anyone who's identified and fixed the problem would be very valuable - thanks. :)

Takeo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2004
Canada
OziMac is right... it is next to impossible to keep the Apple BT mouse clicked while completely lifting the mouse off the desk. I can do it... if I hold the mouse in the air... grip those two annoyingly TINY gripping areas on the sides very low... and squeeze like crazy... I CAN get it to click... but it's extremely hard to do... almost impossible. I really hate the fact the the entire mouse is a button... I wish the non-movable portions of the mouse (those two side bits) were MUCH MUCH bigger.

Anyway... the solution is quite simple. Since the entire bottom of the mouse is the button, what you can do is, instead of trying to lift the entire mouse as you would do with a regular mouse with a small button... just lift ONE edge (the left/thumb side for right handed people) while keeping the other edge (right/pinky side) down to keep the button clicked. It's a tilting motion basically. Tilt the mouse up high enough so that the red light doesn't track but not so high that the button un-clicks.

OziMac said:
The need for lifting in when you run out of desk space. Easy enough to do on two button mice, but not on Apple's one buttom mice - hence the side buttons. And it works absolutely fine on the wired mice - I guess the weight/design on the Bluetooth Mouse changes those dynamics a little though.

I'm fascinated that it works for you guys - the more I try it, the more difficult it seems on this particular mouse due to its design. For the record, I have two of these and the problem persists with both.

Anyway, like I said - any advice from anyone who's identified and fixed the problem would be very valuable - thanks. :)

Frank (Atlanta)

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2004
I can do it if I grip the 2 side sections with my thumb & ring finger and then use the base of my palm to apply pressure to the "rear" portion of the mouse.

Almost like palming a basketball - the fingers grip the side, index (and middle finger) the front, and base of palm the back.

I'm not being very articulate, but it's easier than what I've described...

eRondeau

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
Canada's South Coast
Easy Solution...

Slide the mouse off the edge of the desk. Put your thumb underneath the mouse before it slides completely off. Apply upward pressure to the grey rim with your thumb. Lift and reposition. :rolleyes:

The little plastic wingies on the side are not designed to be pushed "inwards". They are designed to be pushed "upwards". Pushing them inwards with too much force will break your mouse, as I have just discovered. :mad:

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
you put your thumb and middle finger on a side each and your first finger on the top so the button is depressed then just lift up when required and then move and put it back down again!

it's not rocket science is it?

Sabbath

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2003
London
Frank (Atlanta) said:
I can do it if I grip the 2 side sections with my thumb & ring finger and then use the base of my palm to apply pressure to the "rear" portion of the mouse.

Almost like palming a basketball - the fingers grip the side, index (and middle finger) the front, and base of palm the back.

Exactly it's easy to do that way, I think it's because the batteries make the tail end of the mouse heavier than the front and therefore it's a bit trickier to use your index or middle finger on the front of the mouse rather than your palm on the back/middle. I really can't see how people are having trouble it's really easy to me, maybe it's to do with the size of your hands or something.

I'm wondering if Ozimac is thinking you have to depress the side buttons in and not hold the main button.

Takeo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2004
Canada
I am beginning to think that perhaps some folks reading this thread are using the USB Apple Mouse and not the Bluetooth Apple Mouse. Either that or there are different versions of the Bluetooth mouse out there. I have the Bluetooth mouse and believe me... is it simply not possible to hold the "buttons" on the side, click the button and completely lift up the mouse without the button becoming un-clicked. Not possible. Not without a ridiculous effort. I tried the 'palming' thing someone suggested above and that sort of works for me... but it still requires a great deal of effort. The 'thumb rolling' idea also posted above would work too but it's way too much fiddling around.

The simple solution is just to tilt the mouse up so it doesn't track... keeping the opposite edge (pinky edge) down to keep the button clicked. You basically just roll/tilt the mouse up on one edge (lift up the thumb side)... simple. And I don't even worry about where my thumb/fingers are gripping the sides. They can be on the two gripping areas or not. Those gripping points serve no purpose whatsoever on the Bluetooth mouse. On the regular USB mouse you can use them to grip the mouse and lift up/reposition the mouse while keeping the button clicked... but it just does not work on the Bluetooth version. Not mine anyway. Again... maybe Apple changed the design. I just got my Bluetooth mouse a few weeks ago for my new iMac.

russed said:
you put your thumb and middle finger on a side each and your first finger on the top so the button is depressed then just lift up when required and then move and put it back down again!

it's not rocket science is it?

Takeo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2004
Canada
Sabbath said:
Exactly it's easy to do that way, I think it's because the batteries make the tail end of the mouse heavier than the front and therefore it's a bit trickier to use your index or middle finger on the front of the mouse rather than your palm on the back/middle. I really can't see how people are having trouble it's really easy to me, maybe it's to do with the size of your hands or something.

I'm wondering if Ozimac is thinking you have to depress the side buttons in and not hold the main button.

We should probably stop calling the gripping points on the sides buttons... since they are not buttons :) But we all know what we mean. Anyway... believe me... OziMac is not crazy. I have a brand new Apple BT Mouse and it is simply not possible without ridiclous physical effort in combination with a lot of fiddling around with finger/hand position etc. to click the mouse without it being in contact with a desk. It doesn't matter if you 'depress the side buttons' or pull up on the 'side buttons' or hold the mouse this way or that way or how big your hands are or if the batteries are in the mouse or not (I tested that theory as well) or whatever... it is simply not possible. Believe me :) The problem is not one of technique... it is simple a bad design. It's a design issue. It's really sounding like maybe Apple changed the design at some point since people seem to be having such different experiences. In any case... I've found a simple solution (tilting the mouse up on one edge) so it's all good :)

Sabbath

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2003
London
Takeo said:
We should probably stop calling the gripping points on the sides buttons... since they are not buttons :) But we all know what we mean. Anyway... believe me... OziMac is not crazy. I have a brand new Apple BT Mouse and it is simply not possible without ridiclous physical effort in combination with a lot of fiddling around with finger/hand position etc. to click the mouse without it being in contact with a desk. It doesn't matter if you 'depress the side buttons' or pull up on the 'side buttons' or hold the mouse this way or that way or how big your hands are or if the batteries are in the mouse or not (I tested that theory as well) or whatever... it is simply not possible. Believe me :) The problem is not one of technique... it is simple a bad design. It's a design issue. It's really sounding like maybe Apple changed the design at some point since people seem to be having such different experiences. In any case... I've found a simple solution (tilting the mouse up on one edge) so it's all good :)

I guess it must be a bad design if some people can't do it, it just seems strange that I can do it so easily, even with my left hand and other can't do it all. Especially considering my usually inability at such things. One final thought, I'm wondering if it's to do with the tension control, I have mine set to the minimum and ordered my mouse the day they were released, so maybe it's been worn in and is thus less springy, requiring less effort to perform this manouver? As you say your's is new. Or maybe I'm just lucky in terms of where my fingers fall when I'm using the mouse, I don't rest my whole hand on the mouse like some do.

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
Takeo said:
I am beginning to think that perhaps some folks reading this thread are using the USB Apple Mouse and not the Bluetooth Apple Mouse. Either that or there are different versions of the Bluetooth mouse out there. I have the Bluetooth mouse and believe me... is it simply not possible to hold the "buttons" on the side, click the button and completely lift up the mouse without the button becoming un-clicked. Not possible. Not without a ridiculous effort. I tried the 'palming' thing someone suggested above and that sort of works for me... but it still requires a great deal of effort. The 'thumb rolling' idea also posted above would work too but it's way too much fiddling around.

The simple solution is just to tilt the mouse up so it doesn't track... keeping the opposite edge (pinky edge) down to keep the button clicked. You basically just roll/tilt the mouse up on one edge (lift up the thumb side)... simple. And I don't even worry about where my thumb/fingers are gripping the sides. They can be on the two gripping areas or not. Those gripping points serve no purpose whatsoever on the Bluetooth mouse. On the regular USB mouse you can use them to grip the mouse and lift up/reposition the mouse while keeping the button clicked... but it just does not work on the Bluetooth version. Not mine anyway. Again... maybe Apple changed the design. I just got my Bluetooth mouse a few weeks ago for my new iMac.

trust me i am using an apple bluetooth mouse (as my signature says). there is only one apple bluetooth mouse design. it really is not that hard to do. i think you must be making life for yourself hard in some way. the 'buttons' on either side are not buttons. you put your thumb on one side and your middle finger (the one next to your first finger) on the other. your first finger isthen used for pressing the button. so press the button with your 1st finger then while grapsing (not even very hard) just lift up the mouse. the weight of the batteries are counteracted by your 1st finger pressing the button.

its as simple as that. what are you trying to do?

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
Takeo said:
OSince the entire bottom of the mouse is the button, .

This is exactly the problem. The mouse itself is solid; there's a rim around the bottom that functions as the click function. Obviously if you lift if off the desk, there's no pressure keeping it up, and it assumes you've unclicked. So, by tilting, or putting other pressure on, you can maybe click-hold-reposition. Otherwise, no dice.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Le Big Mac said:
This is exactly the problem. The mouse itself is solid; there's a rim around the bottom that functions as the click function. Obviously if you lift if off the desk, there's no pressure keeping it up, and it assumes you've unclicked. So, by tilting, or putting other pressure on, you can maybe click-hold-reposition. Otherwise, no dice.

I never use this feature...that is, I almost never find myself needing to move either wired or wireless mice while the button is pressed.

Erm...actually I almost never use my mouse, in lieu of my trackpad (well, but it's still cute, and I use it sometimes, so I don't regret the wasted money too much), but I tried this out. I find it difficult too. I did find, though, a couple things that might help un peu?

1) I find it easier to do if I use my thumb and my ring finger on the grips, as opposed to my thumb and my middle finger. So my index and middle finger are both sitting on top of the mouse. Maybe this pushes my palm against the other end of the mouse like someone was saying.

2) You might find one spring setting better for doing this than the other -- the thing you can adjust with the little switch that's underneath the battery access plate, marked with the +/-.

Doebldodl

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2004
Germany
My group bought four Apple Bluetooth mice. Two showed the behavior as described above (no pressing the button while lifted), two others did not (and lifting them while pressed is not an issue at all). We had the two "bad" ones replaced, and got one which worked, and one where lifting while pressed is still difficult, but not impossible. So, if your Apple Bluetooth mouse works fine, don't conclude this is the case for everyone.

Mr_Ed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2004
North and east of Mickeyland
I don't have any problem lifting the BT mouse while clicking. Like others said, I use thumb and ring finger on side grips and press down with my index and/or middle finger. I don't even use my palm. To me, the BT mouse feels exactly the same as the wired optical mouse with the exception of a slight weight difference.

blackbones

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2003
Philadelphia
I have no problem whatsoever lifting my bluetooth mouse while keeping the button depressed.... maybe there is a design issue on some of the versions? strange, but really, its easy as pie for me.

dfbishop

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2004
Yes, I have the problem also.

OziMac said:
Interesting responses.

It's not a weight issue for me at all. Its that the side buttons are not able at all to hold the mouse button before being lifted off the ground.

And it's not a tracking speed issue either.

Anyway, if anyone else has the problem and has overcome, please let us know.

I just purchased new wireless mice for my wife and myself and neither can be lifted without unclicking the mouse button. It is clear that it is a design probem, because if you hold the mouse by the side handles and press down on the the shell, the shell fenders hit the handles before the internal microswitch clicks. Only when one pivots the bottom further within the shell does the switch click. It might be possible to cut away some of the fender area of the shell with a Dremel so the travel of the bottom part is far enough to depress the microswitch or perhaps there is something wrong with the internal pivot point. Does anyone know how to take the mouse apart without breaking things? There seems to be a paperclip sized hole behind the batteries that could be the place to start opening it up, but I would prefer to know the actual method Apple intended to be used.

Bottom line, Apple clearly wanted the mouse to operate like the wired mice, but at least some of the wireless ones have a design flaw that prevents this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.