Holding keys down when you type tø dõ thîš

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by ajo, Jul 23, 2011.

1. ajo macrumors 6502

When you hold the keys down when you are typing you can bring up alternate characters using the arrows to select or just hitting the number that the character is on.

2. Crosbie macrumors 6502a

Crosbie

Yèh, thänkš. Yōü thîñk thætś çøõł œr sómęthìńg?

3. cube macrumors G5

4. udontno macrumors regular

udontno

Glad to hear this... will come in handy when I'm typing Spanish papers!

5. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Use [Show Keyboard Viewer] and hit [alt/option] to see what the keys are.

6. ajo thread starter macrumors 6502

Just trying to be helpful in picking out sone features that could be useful. That is all!

7. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

This has been in OS X for yearsssssss.;)

8. jmmo20 macrumors 65816

I wish I could turn this off. I can no longer keep holding down keys to get "thiiiiiiiiiiiis"

9. applefan289 macrumors 68000

10. ajo thread starter macrumors 6502

Really. I've never noticed it before. Holding down the key always just repeated the letter for me...

11. mac1984user macrumors 6502a

mac1984user

Yeah, holding the keys down to get these character variants is new to me as well. I'm used to having to hold down OPTION-(Letter) to get these kinds of symbols. Glad to know this exists now. It is really something!

12. palpatine macrumors 68040

osx (as far as i know) has always used the alt button and various combinations of keys to come up with different diacriticals. ios has the same feature described here--holding down the characters to engage this option. HOWEVER, bluetooth keyboard with ios has an incomplete set. specifically, there does not appear to be the option for typing a solid line above characters. this is a real problem if you romanize japanese.

13. shrx macrumors newbie

I don't have this feature. Do I have to enable it somewhere? If I press and hold down "o" nothing happens, it just writes a single o.

14. RJCP macrumors 6502

I found out it doesn't work for portuguese keyboards. However, if you change your input method to English keyboard, it works.

Do report this to Apple as it isn't a very common problem. www.apple.com/feedback

15. shrx macrumors newbie

interesting. I did have slovenian keyboard selected. I don't have an "english" option, but if I select British or U.S. or U.S. Extended keyboard if I press and hold "o" I get ooooooooo

edit: It seems that with British keyboard it's working, but only in certain applications. in textedit it works, in firefox it doesn't.

16. negatlov macrumors newbie

17. jbrucato macrumors member

18. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Actually this is a great feature and I use it all the time when I want to type special characters. I can't see why someone wouldn't like it.

19. shrx macrumors newbie

I'd like it if it worked with all keyboard setups in all applications.

20. sallylynn812 macrumors member

I'm running lion and have to hit option to get special characters.

21. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

This is a good feature, but it's not that useful for me... I can no longer write boooooooo or reeeeaaalllly or heeeellllllloooo without hitting the keys oooooovvver and ooooover again - is there a way to switch the feature off?

22. baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

Yes it's an amazing feature, but how do you add characters to the list? I mean, when I press and hold "O", I only get 8 choices, when in Hungarian you have a lot more variations of the letter. Is there some kind of setting somewhere that lets you change the characters? Without changing the keyboard layout obviously!