Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DELLsFan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
Oh yes, everyone is tired of the rumors and discussion of this, but I can think of no better place to discuss this without being flamed right to Hell. :eek:

I want an Apple Netbook! That's right, I've said it! I'm hoping Steve Jobs will walk out with one after Schiller gives his Keynote as part of the "One More Thing" tradition in Apple keynotes. Well, wouldn't it be cool if he did? :D

Anyway, I really do prefer a small form factor for traveling and for work on the couch, etc. I wouldn't mind a MacBook, but I'm waiting for the rumored re-Brand to Pro on the Unibodies and with WWDC just around the corner, wouldn't I be ill-advised to buy anything until after we knew what was definitely coming and announced?

Part of me also wants to grab a DELL Mini, hack it, and just be done with it. :p It's torture keeping this wad of cash in my pocket! June 8 can't come soon enough! What do you all think?

:apple:

Unprocessed1

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2008
Oh yes, everyone is tired of the rumors and discussion of this, but I can think of no better place to discuss this without being flamed right to Hell. :eek:

I want an Apple Netbook! That's right, I've said it! I'm hoping Steve Jobs will walk out with one after Schiller gives his Keynote as part of the "One More Thing" tradition in Apple keynotes. Well, wouldn't it be cool if he did? :D

Anyway, I really do prefer a small form factor for traveling and for work on the couch, etc. I wouldn't mind a MacBook, but I'm waiting for the rumored re-Brand to Pro on the Unibodies and with WWDC just around the corner, wouldn't I be ill-advised to buy anything until after we knew what was definitely coming and announced?

Part of me also wants to grab a DELL Mini, hack it, and just be done with it. :p It's torture keeping this wad of cash in my pocket! June 8 can't come soon enough! What do you all think?

I don't understand why people want an apple netbook. It's called the macbook air. :rolleyes:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I seriously doubt half of these people really know what they're going to get. Reading a 9" screen is a ticket to headache hell for many.
The MB air or a possible 12" PowerBook replacement is all I want.

AlexJayPhillips

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2009
home
Apple Netbook announced at WWDC 2009

I hate to crush your spirits but I don't think there would even be a mention of an Apple Netbook at this years WWDC. If there is I will be very shocked. Apple have been quoted saying the an Apple netbook is very unlikely due to the small form factor creating a poor user experience. I reckon Apple are working on a alternative; a touchscreen tablet/Macbook Mini... or something along those lines. It'll be in a different league to the Netbooks; redefining portable computing in true Apple fashion. It is unlikely that apple will invest money into a unstable market, the need for netbooks could die out in a few years. Apple only release products which dominate very mature markets: mobile communications, portable media players and obviously computing. I don't think Netbooks have "taken off" so much to deem them necessary for Apple's attention.

Don't expect it anytime soon. It's a minimum of a year or so away. Spend the money on the Dell Mini.

xx

DELLsFan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
Aw ... my spirits are crushed already! I'm totally obsessing.

Part of me would love the new MacBook that will surely be revamped soon. Oh, and I'd REALLY love the MBA, but um ... my obsession is not worth that price - yet ... sorry.

Another part can't wait to Hack a DELL Mini 9 or 10v ... :D

The last part still thinks we're in for a big surprise on Netbook plans from Apple. If not at WWDC, definitely this year.

So ... yeah ... I'm pathetic. The choice with the most value for the moment would be to fuel my DELL Mini obsession. It wouldn't be a real Mac, but it sure would be fun to Hack. Hell, for sitting around on the Bean Bag chair - watching a movie, it would serve me well ... (I'm not a touch typist, btw, so hunt-and-peckers like me actually do quite well on a small keyboard)

... at least until Apple DOES release a new toy!

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Trust me, you do not want a netbook. It seems cool at first, but using one in real life is fun at first but the experience degrades over time. It's too small and having it on your lap is a problem. I'm only 15 and I'm pretty small and the netbook just doesn't go onto a lap. The screen is pretty bright (LED backlit) but way too small. I squint at my Lenovo S10's 10".

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I would love a 10inch apple netbook.

Having owned 7inch, 8.9 inch and 10 inch netbooks I can say 10inch is a nice size for what a netbook is SUPPOSED to be for. (Internet and email while on the go).

I travel with a ton of camera gear and every little bit of weight and space counts and netbooks are a perfect option for me while traveling. And if it gets lost or damaged I'm only out $350 vs $2800 for my mbp.

Hal1980

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2009
I too don't understand the interest in netbooks. When you travel around, you have files, books, etc. Is a 9" computer really that different to carry around than a 13" or 15"? Besides I don't want a disposable computer with a screen too impossibly small to render useable (I already own an iphone), and a keyboard that makes typing miserable.

I'm waiting for a MBP revision, but wouldn't buy an Apple netbook, much less anyone's netbook even if the thing levitated and was fueled by passion instead of batteries.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.