Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Not sure what data is being sent, however a sure fire way to stop all data is to turn on Airplane Mode.

SmackP

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
Not sure what data is being sent, however a sure fire way to stop all data is to turn on Airplane Mode.

Not sure if that is a solution.

The article didn't say that they weren't in airplane mode in the first place as you can put it in airplane mode AND turn on wifi.

the gman

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2010
Manchester, UK
my mum has just had this on orange Uk, they have charged her for using 7mb worth on internet access this month and i have turned mobile data off.

i tested it yesterday and it is actually disabled, so she cant use data

SmackP

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
It can't send data if the means to do so is turned off, surely? Very strange.

The means to stop it from sending data would be pulling the battery out.

The software can be designed to do anything - even show you are in airplane mode and quietly upload data at intervals without showing any indication of it.

It seems that is indeed the case and a problem that could point to violating privacy and spying issues that Apple has been accused of in the past.

I'm curious to know WHAT data is being sent that is so important to the establishment that they need to do these tricks. Either that or it's a software bug that fails to turn data\phone off.

cw2k7

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2008
So what data is being sent without the users knowledge?

MMS and Visual Voicemail always go over cellular data network even with data roaming disabled. (O2 recommend disabling voicemail redirect when going to another country)

The new iOS4 feature to disable cellular/mobile data totally disables all data inc MMS and visual voicemail.

iPhone OS 3.1.3 and earlier had a bug that can cause data usage when roaming is disabled. It's normally caused by an unreliable wifi network that keeps dropping the connection, during the dropout the iphone falls back to cellular data.

Many recommend breaking all three APNs by adding an x on to the end of them with the older OS. This shouldn't be needed with the new iOS4 mobile data option.

SmackP

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
MMS and Visual Voicemail always go over cellular data network even with data roaming disabled. (O2 recommend disabling voicemail redirect when going to another country)

The new iOS4 feature to disable cellular/mobile data totally disables all data inc MMS and visual voicemail.

iPhone OS 3.1.3 and earlier had a bug that can cause data usage when roaming is disabled. It's normally caused by an unreliable wifi network that keeps dropping the connection, during the dropout the iphone falls back to cellular data.

Many recommend breaking all three APNs by adding an x on to the end of them with the older OS. This shouldn't be needed with the new iOS4 mobile data option.

Thank you for that informative post!!

If you read the linked article you will indeed find that they do not mention the iPhone 4 as having this particular problem. They say iPhone 4 has PR issue but then go on to say "iPhones" when they describe the data roaming issue.

Deception and manipulation of perception at it's finest I must say - but I guess the newspapers have been doing that for centuries.

Damn them all.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
When I went to Europe, I put my iPhone in airplane mode and just used the wifi. I didn't have any problems with outrageous data bills.
Airplane mode has to stop everything. Otherwise, your phone would interfere with the operations of an airplane.
The means to stop it from sending data would be pulling the battery out.

The software can be designed to do anything - even show you are in airplane mode and quietly upload data at intervals without showing any indication of it.

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008

+1. Thank you for your informative and reassuring answer.

When I travel to Europe from my home base in the States, I first go to my AT&T account-management page and sign up for a small amount of international roaming data just-in-case, then when I return I turn it off again. The charge (and data allotment) are pro-rated for the time the option is selected. This covers me against usurious charges should my phone want to sneak a little data in or out despite the no-data-roaming setting, and then there's the case (which happened once in my travels) when I got stuck and needed to take a quick look at Google Maps. Saved me a pretty penny. This was all before I got the excellent CoPilot Live GPS apps for the US and Europe, which stores its maps locally on your phone (and takes up a huge amount of storage in the bargain). No need for data off the network with that app.

The real scandal is why international data roaming costs what it does. It's simply outrageous and utterly indefensible.

mad-dog-one

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2009
I pull the SIM on mine when I travel internationally so I can still use free wi-fi where it is available. ;)

SmackP

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
I pull the SIM on mine when I travel internationally so I can still use free wi-fi where it is available. ;)

Or, you can buy a pay as you go sim locally? The problem you be you would needs itunes to activate?

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
+1. Thank you for your informative and reassuring answer.

When I travel to Europe from my home base in the States, I first go to my AT&T account-management page and sign up for a small amount of international roaming data just-in-case, then when I return I turn it off again. The charge (and data allotment) are pro-rated for the time the option is selected. This covers me against usurious charges should my phone want to sneak a little data in or out despite the no-data-roaming setting, and then there's the case (which happened once in my travels) when I got stuck and needed to take a quick look at Google Maps.

Be careful when you turn it off - the billing is delayed so charges may not appear in the billing cycle you turn the feature on and off - they can occur a month later. If that happens and you've removed your plan - you get socked with the higher rates.

You can rest data usage before you go and check it when you get back - so you known when the full amount has hit your bill.

gtmac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
When I went to Europe, I put my iPhone in airplane mode and just used the wifi. I didn't have any problems with outrageous data bills.
Airplane mode has to stop everything. Otherwise, your phone would interfere with the operations of an airplane.

That is what I do as well. Works great then use company blackberry for phone and on the go mail.

openendstraight

macrumors regular
May 5, 2010
La Vegas

I just cam back from Europe, and I didi not have any problems either.

As for it interfering with the airplane, I am not sure who told you that crap. I send text messages, make calls, and have even surfed the web all while in the air. It has to do with billing not interfering with the plane

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
Pilots have used cell phones while in the cockpit. Everything is very well shielded. There was even talk of now allowing use of cell phones, which I hope they do not because I'd hate to sit next to someone jaw jacking the whole flight.

One of the problems I read with using cell phones in an airplane was cell tower hand offs...

openendstraight

macrumors regular
May 5, 2010
La Vegas
Well, there's a reason that you're not allowed to use phones on the plane, and it sure as hell isn't to do with billing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_phones_on_aircraft

There are riscs that it can interfere with the plane, however slim.

If you're really a pilot, I wouldn't want to fly with you.

While I agree that problems were present in the past, but no longer today.

Since the regulations were imposed by the various international bodies there have been advances in equipment and systems which have allowed the gradual introduction of safe in-flight communications via mobile phones and such devices. These systems are being implemented by an increasing number of airlines and carriers as each is tested by the authority responsible for air-safety and deemed to be fit for use.

There is a hand off issue swell, but not all that much of a problem. Now there is an issue will billing due to roaming; however, with most companies not charging for roaming any more that is no longer an issue.

Do you know how many people on each flight just put their phone on vibrate instead of turning it of, or turning on airplane mode.

If a plane were to have a problem with mobile phones don't you think the FAA would band phones being carried on to the plane, since they can not prevent someone from leaving it on.

Keep feeding on all the crap your wonderful government is handing you.

fsck-y dingo

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
Well, there's a reason that you're not allowed to use phones on the plane, and it sure as hell isn't to do with billing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_phones_on_aircraft

There are riscs that it can interfere with the plane, however slim.

If you're really a pilot, I wouldn't want to fly with you.

I'd be just as concerned about the pilots who are too busy using their laptops, talking about over-time work and doing who knows what else while they overshoot the final destination. True story. :)

mad-dog-one

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2009
Pilots have used cell phones while in the cockpit. Everything is very well shielded. There was even talk of now allowing use of cell phones, which I hope they do not because I'd hate to sit next to someone jaw jacking the whole flight.

One of the problems I read with using cell phones in an airplane was cell tower hand offs...

Although I'm not an expert on this topic, I've also heard that cell tower hand-off and overwhelming the cell phone system represent significant problems for in flight cell phone use. I imagine that there are at least a few cell phones that someone forgot to turn off on virtually every commercial flight. I've heard them ringing, in flight, on several occasions.

openendstraight

macrumors regular
May 5, 2010
La Vegas
I'd be just as concerned about the pilots who are too busy using their laptops, talking about over-time work and doing who knows what else while they overshoot the final destination. True story. :)

Planes today can almost fly themselves. The pilots are really only need for take offs and landings, and with some planes they really aren't needed then.

But back on topic.

I find all this hard to believe. The people must have not turnked off all the data transfer setting. Did they use their map as a GPS, check voice mail, receive text messages, use an app? Something doesn't fit.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
I find all this hard to believe. The people must have not turnked off all the data transfer setting. Did they use their map as a GPS, check voice mail, receive text messages, use an app? Something doesn't fit.

Several UK carriers have confirmed this is a bug and they have agreed with Apple that it needs to be fixed.

The people referred to in these articles were refunded.

openendstraight

macrumors regular
May 5, 2010
La Vegas
Several UK carriers have confirmed this is a bug and they have agreed with Apple that it needs to be fixed.

The people referred to in these articles were refunded.

I still mark it up to people not knowing how to work the settings on their phone. You really think a very small sample are having this problem with data transfer, so it must be the phone or the networks fault right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.