Holly Crap Murrrrrrica

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by whoknows87, Jan 22, 2014.

1. whoknows87 macrumors 6502a

whoknows87

Just received this Bill in the mail, the patient responsible for the Bill has insurance and did have it at the time of admission, I'm going to call tomorrow to find out what did the insurance pay if anything and if they paid 0 ( that's what the bill indicates) Why?

Still WOW, the duration of the stay was 14 days ( Post Acute Care Services Care Hospital)

Attached Files:

2. osx11 macrumors 6502a

what was the treatment?

3. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

Weird. I thought Grand MAster Obama was supposed to foot the bill.

:p

4. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Kind of light on information in this post. Very tough to make any judgement on the fairness or unfairness of the bill or whether the insurance company should have paid all, or part, of it.

5. whoknows87 thread starter macrumors 6502a

whoknows87

He was given pain killers 80% of the time, no Physical Therapy was done and wound care about 2-3 times during the whole stay...

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Expect insanity. You will never be disappointed.

7. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Perhaps I was not specific enough...

For what reason was the patient hospitalized?

How long was the patient in the hospital?

What procedures were done, if any.

Exactly what kind if insurance does the patient have

Need detailed specifics of coverage, exclusions, any annual or lifetime limits...and other specifics of the policy.

In short, you should call the insurance company and discuss it with them. There is nothing that anyone here can tell you that will be of any use until you call your insurance company.

This post is based on extensive knowledge of the specifics of the situation...correct?

8. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

One thing I keep hearing about is that some facilities may be in the coverage plan but they hire contractors, so the doctors and/or nurses may in fact not be covered. If there is a way for business to take your money, they will find and use it.

9. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Preconceived notions are an anathema to intelligent investigation.

Even so, a for-profit hospital does not fill me with confidence. :eek:

10. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Do we know that this was a for-profit hospital?

I'm not taking any side in this issue, just seeking information that allows one to make informed judgements about the situation.

11. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

We don't, but although I am also guilty of a preconceived notion, I do believe it to be correct for the great and glorious U.S.A.

12. whoknows87 thread starter macrumors 6502a

whoknows87

Fortune 500 Company

I have not looked at the specifics yet, I'm going to give them a call tomorrow to get a few questions answered mainly Why didn't they the insurance pay, did they file a cliam or no, maybe there is sometime of Cap maybe this facility wasn't covered I have no clue yet, the hospital arranged for this transfer and everything was forwarded, I do remember them asking me for insurance info and that was given, but nothing was ever mentioned if the insurance claim rejected, usually I get itemized bills from every Doctor/facility, but this one flat out said amount due ...... adjustements 0, Payments 0 :confused:

Politics aside isn't 100K a large bill for a 14 days hospital stay there were people in that facility that have been there for months who pays that bill? there was a whole floor just for the elderly most of them will not live or ever leave that facility....I'm assuming Medicare will pay

13. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

Nah, me an OP were having a chat about it earlier today.

14. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

That is a bargain at only around $296 an hour for care.

15. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    $100,000. That's only three straight years of earnings for an average American family. Get a second job, and you'll be able to pay that off.

16. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I had a surgeon submit a bill for $18000 for a routine 45 min operation.

For the OP, the Navy term is "BOHICA" :p

17. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I think if people start sharing this information more freely, it will help other people understand why the US system is broken. Sure, there may be a good reason for this huge bill, but, I doubt it.

18. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

But the OP made no mention of proctology.

19. Tower-Union macrumors 6502

Tower-Union

A country that allows for-profit hospitals does not fill me with confidence. :eek:

20. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

No argument there...I was just seeking information.:)

21. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

England has the National Heath and private hospitals for those with money, or who are unwilling to wait their turn depending on circumstances.

We have the same in Canada, especially for highly-paid athletes. ;)

22. Tower-Union macrumors 6502

Tower-Union

Speaking as someone who works in a hospital - don't I know it!

23. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Government run hospitals or insurance don't fill me with confidence either. Looks like some Swedes agree with that too as government healthcare is not all that it is cracked up to be.

24. samiwas macrumors 65816

Not sure if either of these are serious or sarcasm.

25. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I don't agree with government covering 100% of the system, either. Not because I'm scared of it like some people, but because you don't want to put all your eggs in one basket, and government does tend to overly bureaucratize things in an attempt to streamline all the hundreds of thousands of programs it has to deal with on a daily basis.

That's why I believe in a healthy mix and match of free enterprise and government assistance in the right places, and an willingness to constantly tweak the formula to see what works best. Don't be so attached to a system you can't see its flaws, and refuse to change something when something desperately needs changing.

Dead serious. My dad worked 10 jobs just to put a cheap can of spaghetti-o's for me and mom to eat on the table. He pulled himself up by his bootstraps, and didn't complain one bit until the day he died of the black lung. :mad: