Hollywood Calls for a Boycott of Dolce & Gabbana

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Mar 15, 2015.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

https://www.yahoo.com/style/hollywood-calls-for-a-boycott-of-dolce-gabbana-113744877113.html

wonder how many will follow though and burn it?

2. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Gay men with opinions of gay issues.

Nothing to see here.

3. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Except this is not just about gays.

4. Meister Suspended

Meister

I don't think her statement is controversial.

And I will not burn all my D&G purses. :p

5. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Let's be honest for a second...Do you really care about the opinions of two dandy fashion designers in Italy?

6. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

nope, but I did find it entertaining that some called for burning their clothes down:D

7. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

That's the real story/comedy. Not D&G's comments, but the idiotic reactions.

8. FieldingMellish Suspended

Committed ideologues brook no dissension and advocate harming the source.

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I don't really see why it's unreasonable to boycott if you want to.

And part of the allure of designer clothes is that celebrities wear them. And if they don't wear a designer why buy?

10. LadyX macrumors 68020

LadyX

Hollywood Calls for a Boycott of Dolce & Gabbana

Burn what? Do you really think she'll burn her D&G items?

----------

Dolce and Gabbana are both gay designers who are against the idea of gay marriage and a child growing up with gay parents because they believe that a child needs a mother and a father. Their opinion. Nothing wrong with it. Why does it mean so much what two designers say in this? Seriously, some people are overly sensitive.

11. dec. Suspended

dec.

Ok, In Vitro Fertilization and Surrogate Mothers are "gay issues"..

Yeah, nothing to see here.

12. samiwas macrumors 65816

Wait, you mean two idiots said something offensive to some people, and those people didn't just sit back and stay quiet like good little people should??

The horror!!!! Oh my God...we really need to talk about this. I am so glad this thread was made to display the insanity of people talking about offensive comments, a highly unusual act.

13. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

The comments are beyond disrespectful to gay people, they also completely ignore the hundreds of thousands of children worldwide being raised by gay parents and make their families out to be inferior. Sounds to me like two middle aged self hating gay Catholics who are jealous of younger gays that were able to more easily live their lives to their full potential. Say what you want about yourselves, but don't insult people's families.

14. sim667 macrumors 65816

Exceptionally wealthy idiots out of touch with the world making prejudice claims shocker.

15. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

They can hold whatever opinions they want to. They can say anything they'd like in support of those opinions.

But when they lobby and actively work to deny other people rights, that's when I have a problem.

16. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I hate to belittle anyone's passionately held beliefs, but one set of gay fashion icons taking umbrage at the comments of another set of gay fashion icons is hardly something for me to get too concerned over.

Asking me to boycott Dolce & Gabbana is unlikely to have any effect whatsoever on my wardrobe choices.

The United States is socially and legally moving towards a place where gay marriage is accepted, and in many places celebrated. This is something we - as a country - should be amazed at, and maybe even proud of - as citizens of a country that can make that much progress.

High fashion is all very well if you are a Hollywood multimillionaire. But from a practical standpoint, its more important how Wal-Mart and Old Navy treat their gay employees who want to get married.

17. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Thank you. Some here seem to think its only about gays

18. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

It is also about the right to have an opinion and expressing it. I may not agree with the opinion but I certainly support their right to hold whatever opnion they want and express it.

19. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Well here you are talking about it! We talk about things like these here,
    When I republican democrat or Christians something stupid we tend to talk about it, this is no different

20. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

It is targeted at gays. Your sourced article failed to post the full context of the comments. But you're right in that it's insulting to all families who may not be a heterosexual nuclear family created through sexual intercourse.

21. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Like the west borough church?
    I did not say these people do not have a right to express their opinion

----------

Did you miss the invitro part being discussed as synthetic babies? :rolleyes:

22. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Of course they have every right to express their opinion. However, they don't have the right to not face a backlash and be reprimanded.

----------

Yeah I agree the comments are disgusting. And they are insulting not just to gay people, but they do have a clear target.

23. LumbermanSVO macrumors 65816

Sure, they absolutely have the right to express their opinion. But that right also comes with the right for anyone else to express their opinion on other people's opinion, and so on.

24. samiwas macrumors 65816

I got the impression from your posts that the Hollywood people were silly for raising a stink about it. If not, then I was wrong and you can consider my post invalid. But, it was still fun.

25. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Or perhaps instead of being self hating gays they are simply ones that are mature enough to realize that their rights stop when they negatively effect others, specifically children that are raised without both a mother and father.