Hollywood Film Depicts Trump Supporters

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Aug 7, 2019.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

2. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

I was going to post about this earlier but in reference to the studio pulling ads after last weekend's new favorite American pastime. It could be said that it was extremely bad timing, but I would argue that it won't be a good time for the foreseeable future and it probably wasn't a good time when whoever green-lit this ****.

That being said I'm a big fan of over the top horror that pushes the limits of what is acceptable. It's even fine if it has a political message I don't agree with if it's done well.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

4. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Just curious....is there a reason you only post a portion of the headline (other than clickbait)?

5. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

"Is it the click or the bait for which we should be concerned? Why did they bait? Why did they click?"

-Plato 345 BC

"Pffft"

-jkcerda 2018 AD

6. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Posted from phone
    If thread titilevis long I split it
    95% of my threads will have the article title as the thread title

7. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

“The liberals” are the antagonists in this, right?

8. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

So we going to act like "The First Purge" movie doesn't exist?

9. ronntaylor macrumors regular

ronntaylor

It's to be expected from the whiny conservatives at PJ Media.

10. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

Hmm, Damon Lindelof is involved in this and I loved Lost and The Leftovers. This seems a little beneath that level and I'm not into gore/violence in general, but I'll wait to judge.

11. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Well, I suspect we - including the people at PJ Media - are making judgements about a movie none of us have seen.

From what little I've found out about it, it's a satirical horror movie. The premise of which is that a dozen "ordinary Americans" find themselves hunted by a group of "elite" individuals.

I'm not at all sure that we can assume much of anything. The PJ-media site claims the victims are "MAGA-types" - but I'm not sure if any of them are actually wearing red hats, and I doubt sincerely that Donald Trump's name is mentioned in the script at all. The only possible connection would be a character speaking about killing "deplorables." Possibly, but not necessarily, referring back to Hillary Clinton's unfortunate comment.

I'm sure there are many conservative Americans who don't consider themselves "deplorable."

I'm not sure we can necessarily equate "elites" with "liberals". I'm quite certain that there are some folks who would be part of the "global elite" who hold decidedly conservative views.

There is also this to consider: It seems probable (if not certain) that the "elites" in this movie are the villains. And we have no idea how the plot unfolds. It is certainly possible that the "ordinary Americans" end up triumphing over the evil "elites."

The movie got its marketing campaign pulled in the wake of the El Paso and Dayton shootings. Probably a good idea.

Personally, I find horror movies of this type distasteful in pretty much any circumstance. But, its worth remembering that it is a satire. I recall the movie "Get Out", directed by Jordan Peele. In which the protagonist finds himself in a situation where African-American people are kidnapped by wealthy white people.

The point of that movie was not to suggest that wealthy white liberals really planned on transplanting their brains into the bodies of kidnapped African-Americans. It was rather to make a statement about a number of themes in US culture and society - not least of which the way in which missing white children are treated somewhat differently than missing black and brown ones.

12. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Yeah but get out was not making lighthearted fun of it.

13. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

I'm tired of politics in movies and TV shows. You're paid to entertain us, not send a political message. Even if it may paint liberals as hunters and conservatives are the victims.

14. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

was the purge political?

15. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502a

Bug-Creator

Solution for your problem is so obvious even Captain Obvious wouldn't bother pointing it out.

Nope.

"They" are paid for whatever someone higher up thought worthwhile. Wether it gets (re)financed by ads, tickets or subscriptions. Or even if money wasn't the goal in the 1st place.

16. linuxcooldude, Aug 8, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2019

linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Don't worry, I have already taken those off my "Watch" list. Dr. Who, Super Girl, Ghost Busters, Ocean's 8, Capitan Marvel, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Stranger Things, Bat Woman. Probably forgot some and may add more later.

Probably the reasons why ticket sales this summer went down. Re-makes and sequels are getting stale in comparing to original, thought out movies.

Rotten Tomatoes have to constantly change their rating system to remove negative ratings for all their plethora of SJW movies & TV shows.

Edit: Already found another SJW Netflix show to add to my don't watch list: Wu Assassins, that didn't take long.

17. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

Wait. Are the “trump supporters” the ones being hunted? Because if so, in movies like this, they will survive. If that’s the case, this may not be so bad.

18. samcraig macrumors P6

Art has and always been political.

19. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

It never ceases to amuse me how conservatives call liberals snowflakes and then get all worked up about tv shows and movies just because they feature female characters. It’s pathetic.

20. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

That's because they have to keep pushing the notion that they are being persecuted and are the victims of some kind of "liberal cabal".

21. vrDrew macrumors 65816

My point exactly.

Not only are the putative "Trump supporters" the ones being hunted, but the "global elites" are the villains. And, unless this is somehow different from every other horror film of the genre ever made, the ones being hunted will eventually triumph over the evil cabal that is hunting them.

Look: It's a dumb, low-budget horror film. Nothing worth getting too worked up about. But more to the point, there is little money to be made from a film that would be designed to deliberately offend the sort of people who are going to make up its largest audience.

Davos-attending, Gulfstream-flying global elites are too busy sipping pinot noir at climate-change conferences and TED talks to spend much time eating popcorn and watching horror flicks at the local multiplex.

22. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Because pushing politics instead of creating great movies and tv shows is now more important to Hollywood. Netflix's Strange Things was awesome until 3rd season went downhill quick with bad writing and plot and high in SJW politics. Same with many other great shows went the same way.

23. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

Where are the politics in Ocean’s Eight or Dr. Who, for example? Simply having female leads is not “pushing politics.”

24. samcraig macrumors P6

SJW politics isn't what made or didn't make S3 of Stranger Things. Again, Art, by its very nature is political. You know I see a lot of films, exhibits, etc - and even when I don't agree with the politics, I don't whine about it after viewing it. Sorry - but saying politics ruins things for you is just amazing to me, personally.

As a funny aside, I loved when Trump got all huffy about Pence at Hamilton crying about things getting political in theater. He was at HAMILTON which is a show about politics. Now THAT was funny (and sad!)

25. itsmemuffins macrumors 68040

itsmemuffins