Holocaust never happened?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by dswoodley, Jun 18, 2007.

1. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

Ok, as I have said in previous threads, I teach Western Civilization at the university level. This summer semester, in a very eye-opening session, over half of my class was unaware of what the WWII Holocaust was. Furthermore, 8 eight of my students firmly denied that it ever happened at least to the dimensions of 6 million+ Jewish and other political undesirables dead. Can someone help me with this? Is this now common to believe the Holocaust never happened was an exaggeration???

2. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

Can you please fill us in on what university?

This is an absolutely pathetic reality if what you are saying is in fact the case. I am somewhat floored right now by your statement. I have never heard such a high percentage of people say something as stupid as what you are saying was said in your class.

How did you respond?

3. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

In my opinion, there's almost no way to deny that it happened. Who taught these kids? I'm 14 and I know what it is and believe strongly that it happened.

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

so what were those kids on, I know that some people don't think that it happened, but half, also how big was the class?

5. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

What was the religious/ethnic background of your students? The xian right tends to support Israel and its causes no matter what so it can't be them, right?

Did you ask them why?

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Many, perhaps most, young people in Cambodia do not believe, even when told and shown evidence, that millions died under the Khmer Rouge regime, because they were never taught it and cannot conceive of the magnitude of evil.

How many Turks grew up believing that there was an Armenian genocide?

Young people know only what they have been taught is the truth. So the question is, who taught these students?

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Nobody?

8. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Makes sense. :mad:

9. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

No, that's just the point. The Gee I dunno crowd could be simply ignorant of it, BUT Someone, somewhere has taught the opposing minority that it did not happen, and that the 'system' will lie to them and try to convince them that it did. The indoctrinated worry me far more than the clueless.

10. dswoodley thread starter macrumors 6502a

I teach at the University of Alaska Anchorage. Some of the students were simply ignorant as I said - the mere number 6 million seems implausible. Other trivialized it saying Stalin's crimes were far worse (an assertion I partially disagree with). A couple however were firmly of the mind the Holocaust was American propaganda designed to prop up Israel.

I went into a long history of Holocaust denial, the 2006 Iran conference, the Lipstadt-Irving case in the UK, and more. I pointed out that the Nazi's themselves left great amounts of literature validating the Holocaust's existence. Adolf Eichman himself viewed as a point of personal pride during his trial in the 1960s. Still, they were unconvinced.

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

To know about the Holocaust requires education. To believe it never happened requires only ignorance.

12. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I would blame their parents, which is likely where they're getting their biases from.

13. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Try and find out what they're using as "proof" it didn't happen. More than likely their source of information will be easier to discredit than proving the facts.

I'm curious to see how things go with this, keep us up to date.

D

14. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

The holocaust images we have seen are a mixture of truth and propaganda.

What many people fail to realize is that some of the mass graves depicted as part of the holocaust were actually used as a desperate measure to bury
    100's of thousands if not millions of dead civilians following the carpet bombing raids
    by allied forces.

Those bombings leveled entire cities, killing everything in their path.
    There was no time for conventional burial, due to health concerns.

Yes the Holocaust did happen and many perished, but the civilian death toll
    was equally horrifying.

15. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

So, how many people do you believe died in the Holocaust?

16. dswoodley thread starter macrumors 6502a

And this is the truth of the matter as far as the images go. Holocaust deniers are quick to point out hollywood had been producing war propaganda for the War Department for years...

17. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Over 2 years ago I backpacked through Eastern Europe. When I passed through Krakow, Poland, I took a day trip out to Auschwitz. Let me tell you, even though I saw things firsthand, no proof is necessary and this atrocity should not even be questioned.

18. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

What does "equally" mean here?

19. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

So throw out all the Hollywood references and what are you left with? More than enough to prove it happened. Hollywood allows for exposure to a wider audience - so it is what it is - but there has been so much more written on the subject. And that's not propaganda - just Poland alone should be enough to prove the point.

D

20. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Yes, I'm sure all of these so-called holocaust survivors that have told their stories are really just a bunch of old Jewish Europeans who have conspired together to make Germany look really, really bad :rolleyes:

21. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I know a man who works a few doors down, an brit in fact, who denies the holocaust. He says it was a severe plague that hit those areas.

22. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i can see how college-age kids could have been indoctrinated in a holocaust-denial fashion, as reprehensible as that is. but for half of this sample of college-age kids to not even know what it was -- i'm floored.

i mean, forget about accusations of "it wasn't taught in high school", i wasn't aware it was possible to exist in this world and not come across references to it. i just don't see how that's possible, and i have no idea how to combat that apparently crippling lack of observation and curiosity.

23. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I doubt we'll ever really know many innocent civilians perished as a result of WWII.

We can't even get accurate numbers in an ongoing war due to manipulation
    of statistics, so what makes you think anything was different back then.

How many died in Japan from non stop allied bombing raids well before
    we used the atomic bombs?

I'm not defending the horror of what happened.

I'm disturbed more that we don't seem to have learned anything from it.
    We are still killing each other to benefit a small handful of power hungry
    criminals.

The point is we have never experience that magnitude of death and destruction here in a major city.
    The closest modern day event we have to go on is the aftermath of
    the Asian Tsunami.
    What would we do in a situation here if a major city was leveled to the ground? Millions dead. What do you do to prevent disease?

24. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Sounds like a good time to give an assignment that puts some perspective on just how big a number 6 million is.

And on how to evaluate sources for objectivity.