Holy cow! Just got back from the Apple Store; have a good story to share...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mattcube64, Oct 18, 2008.

1. mattcube64 macrumors 65816

mattcube64

Today, my GF was looking to buy a new coat from the North Face store. Luckily, the store is right next to the Apple Store. So I went with, and checked out the new Macbooks with her dad.

Anyway, I was messing around with the new MBP. First off, it's really nice looking- much better in person than online pictures. Anyhoo, I decided to download the Halo Demo off Apple's site, to test how well it plays games. I know the demo runs under Rosetta, so I figured performance wouldn't be *perfect." Anyhoo, it loaded up the campain, and ran PERFECTLY at 1440x900, everything on and on HIGH. Seriously, performance was fantastic! I was pleased.

So, I got off, browsed the net and messed around a bit.

Then it hit me! I wonder what card the computer was using. I check out the system profiler. Sure enough, it was only using the 9400M!!! :eek:

WOW!

Lemme tell you, this seems like a pretty capable gaming machine. I think it'll be perfect for LAN parties. ... ... I guess it's time I outta start saving.

EDIT: Oh, and I was really surprised at how small the packaging is for the new computers. It was so tiny!

2. zgnoud macrumors member

dude, halo is almost an 8 year old game. It would be pretty pathetic if the new machines (with a dedicated graphics card) couldnt render everthing maxed out.

Having said that i own the early 2008 Macbook Pro, and gaming on it has been pretty good (team fortress, call of duty 4 and devil may cry), just dont expect to play them on high resolution (1440) with all the bells and whistles. The new 9600 card performance is pretty much between the 8600 and 8700.

3. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

4. unwinded macrumors regular

I noticed that many PPC apps run way better with rosetta these days than they did back when the intel transition first began. So some of this speed improvement definitely is the 9400 (which is pretty darn good for an integrated card) but some of it is rosetta improvements too.